BB chevy rods in a LA>

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
seeing they are 6.135 and some of our pistons are in the hole by .070, could you resize them and use them? they are 2.22" big end and .990 small end, enough for a bushing and a big end resize of 30 thou. width? Just wondering......could make a zero or better on a low comp 318/360 slug.
Someone said the MP "K" rods were resized chevy castings.......

I want to say if it could be done - it would have been already...lol. Mopar racers are always looking for cheaper good parts. But - thats' not to say you can't or don't try. I never have thought about it but there are a lot of V8s running Honda spec rods so who knows?

There are combos that use the chevy rod in the bog block. I don't know why you couldn't do it. Maybe get all the specs and compare. Width and all that hooha.

The mopar big blocks can use them, yes. But the question was regarding the LA small blocks. I've never heard of a BB chevy rod being used there.

I haven't checked, but I doubt weight is your friend with the BBC's.....unless you have a secret stash of cheap Mallory metal. :D

What about the width on the ends? Is that the same as a LA rod? If so that's a plus but if not by the time you get done machining it to fit you could probably have bought a set of pistons. JMHO

No the width is off a little. Loos like the majority of the frankenrods crowd cuts Mopar crank down to 2.2 journal and widens the bearing a tad and runs 6.125 Chevy rods. cheap and plentiful. And "its not a Chevy rod unless you buy it from GM".. (as the purist say).

"...As I see this situation we need to get the "chevy" rods 6.125 long with the 2.10 big end diameter and have the sides of the rods ground 0.064 total which means 0.016 off of each side of the two rods. Other alternative is to grind the 0.032 from each face of the crankshaft journal..." Chris3 from this post http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=6109159

They used to run BBC rods in NASCAR and circle track small block Chryslers. I think they got raw forgings and machined them to 6.100 length and stock 340 dimensions. Ed Hamburger used to sell them.

-
Back