BE$T bang for your buck home improvement for home sale

-
First is curb appeal. 50% of the decision about buying a home comes from the impression of the exterior. House and yard should look neat, clean and tidy. Any exterior issues such as peeling paint will bias the buyer against the house before they ever set foot inside.

Second is interior space and feel. If there is furniture in the house, minimize it by putting some in storage so that you can convey a feeling of open space making the rooms feel larger. Closets are the same, reduce what’s in them to make them appear larger too. Address any big obvious issues like stained ceilings or cracks in the walls. They can destroy the buyers interest quickly.

Don’t waste your time on little details that aren’t immediately obvious. People don’t really see the small details when looking at a house, it’s the overall impression that hooks them. Once they decide they like it, they are likely to not be very concerned with minor details.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it's the bathroom lol. Damned drywall hides LOTS of bs. Friggin "average" 48x34 shower stall with doors is $1500!
Have fun with it tho!

20181017_100159.jpg

20181026_133957.jpg

Respectfully request what you guys think would do to improve your home's value for resale.

Thanks!!
Anything really. But the best bang for the buck is a hard call due to each house needing something different. I would have to say that between the two I have found best, it is a split between a new bathroom and a new kitchen. Mainly because both are used most frequently and are the most personal use rooms in the house that get used the most for the most important things in daily life.

After those two, roof, windows and doors. It’s a combo package. Not 3 separate items.

That’s the house itself. Ddaddy & Jpar nailed it on “Curb appeal” for sure. Curb appeal is an easy thing. Except a new driveway to be laid down, it is inexpensive. Colorful Perennial shrubs decorating the front of the house with symmetry go very far in the visual impact. A well kept green lawn. (If you have a front yard of grass) For the prospective buyer, there is nothing better than to roll up to the house and get a great first impression of a house where they will say, “Yes this is Home! Wonderful to be home again!”

The biggest turn offs are unfinished projects in the inside of the house, wrecked lawns/yards, busted up fences, and in house rooms that are in deep need of re doing. A unfinished basement is better than a finished basement half assed.

For me, the next house I get (in retirement) must be done and finished. If it is not, then the bathroom and kitchen better be a awestruck moment. Everything else I can handle. (Pay for) it is rather not.

Last edited:
What does your realtor say? They should have a good idea if there is anything that might effect the sale. Like others have said curb appeal and eye appeal inside right off the bat. Unless something is way wrong I can't see doing any major remodel to a house you are selling.

First is curb appeal, you have to get them into your home. Then kitchen and master bath. Paint all walls if need and make sure everything is clean and put away. Rent a storage unit if you have to

How many home reno/flip shows have you seen where the open house guests say things like-

"I could never live in a house with that color carpet"
"I could never live with all this clutter"
"those appliances are not stainless steel"

stupid crap that is easily changed by the potential purchaser but they can't seem to get past it.

the house is 12 years old. has a new exterior coat of paint, linoleum floor (that has a few dollar size tears), 4 bed room, 2 bath, 7 sided living room/ dining area, matching but old black kitchen appliances, all of the interior was painted 5 years ago (plan on repainting).

I plan on painting the front door and window shutters to match - the house is now a whitish yellow, with white trim

Buy the lot next door, on the side of your house's master bedroom or bathroom or living room.
Build a sand volleyball lot and/or large swimming pool on the lot, adjacent to yours, in plain view of said master bed and or living room or bathroom windows.
Build a spacious house with large bay windows and outrageous interior lighting in all rooms on remaining adjacent real estate.
Donate lot with house with pool and/or volleyball pit to local volleyball-obsessed sorority.

Your skyrocketing home values will more than make up for it.

If your house ain't got location, MAKE location.

My experience is that if you think of it this way... The purchaser is going to look at your house. If they like what they see they will be back for a second look. So, the 1st look better be the best it can be, in other words you wont get a 2nd chance, if they dont like what they see they will never come back for a 2nd look.

To get that best 1st impression everything better be right. That means no crap laying around. Get the stuff off the property that dosnt go with the sale with the exception of furniture(the good stuff) Nobody wants to see your crap(not personal) or how dumpy the house could look. Get a storage unit if needed.

Remember, you wont get a 2nd chance once the buyer leaves the property they are gone for good and that might have been the one and only buyer.

Good pics for the internet. Most people now sort thru on-line and if it’s not appealing they won’t even consider it.

Next would be paint and then anything for curb appeal: trim shrubs & trees, mulch in flower bed, etc...

Make sure the first room they walk into is as nice as possible.

If the kitchen is bad (like mine) you’ll probably get the money back if you re-do it in the sale.

My Aunt was in real estate. Made most of her money flipping houses. 1st was curb appeal. Shrubs, flower beds, etc. need to look nice. Shutters on the windows help too. 2nd, she painted inside. Light colors, mostly white or off white. Light colors make the rooms look bigger, and cleaner. 3rd, kitchen and bath upgrades if needed. If the linoleum in your kitchen is bad, replace it. If you can do it yourself, ceramic tile would be best. Mostly, make it look clean.

I am big on landscaping. Bath and Kitchen are a given but I have sold my last two homes on down markets with no realtor. I credit it to the landscaping I do on all my homes. (I am currently in my last home before the kids put me in the good assisted living quarters I have requested:))

Good pics for the internet. Most people now sort thru on-line and if it’s not appealing they won’t even consider it.

Next would be paint and then anything for curb appeal: trim shrubs & trees, mulch in flower bed, etc...

Make sure the first room they walk into is as nice as possible.

If the kitchen is bad (like mine) you’ll probably get the money back if you re-do it in the sale.

Oh hell yea! Bamm, Bingo, Bulls Eye, Yatzee!!!

I just had my realtor out to go over this exact thing.

Doing complete kitchen/bath remodels you will never recoup your money. Especially if your adding all new appliances, cabinets, etc.. You have to weigh it out, do you think sinking 10-15k into a kitchen will be given back in the sale of the house? At least not in MN it wont..

Updating simple things such as countertops, or adding a nice backsplash refreshes your look and may draw away from the dated areas. Replacing worn or aged carpet also.

It may be best to have your realtor come out and do a walk through with you to point out those things like I mentioned.

Up here houses are going over asking, its ridiculous. I figure out 55 sq ft bathroom will cost approx 4k to do. Frickin pricey and that's using "above average" products materials and me doing the work.
I doubt it will add to the selling price we decided on BUT will make the sale easier.
It all depends on the market and a realtor will know.
Do a so called "open house" for realtors. Interview them and ask what they will do and provide. Ask them what you should "upgrade"?
Commision...are they flexible?
For me if I flex on my price to sell, then realtor best do the same.
Good luck

Curb appeal, kitchen/baths. Usually.

Its really a combo though of all.
Paint it yourself.. but get a HD designer to help choose the right color combo, type 'flat,satin,semi gloss. If the base board is dated... change it for taller stuff 'no wall prep that way'.
Old door knobs for handles. Update fixtures/outlets.
Don't do laminate floor if it's really cold most of the time. Long list .lol

Curb appeal, kitchen/baths. Usually.

Its really a combo though of all.
Paint it yourself.. but get a HD designer to help choose the right color combo, type 'flat,satin,semi gloss. If the base board is dated... change it for taller stuff 'no wall prep that way'.
Old door knobs for handles. Update fixtures/outlets.
Don't do laminate floor if it's really cold most of the time. Long list .lol
I am a pistol shot north of florida, it's cold maybe 2-3 weeks a year (you would laugh and poke fun) This time of year is our great time of year (Next to the coast, very , very, moderate/temperate climate.

Our market has increased 40% in 3 years.

My shack???? Tare it down should up the value of the property.... :D
:rofl:

Wife is a realtor. Simple answer is bathroom. We have a customer that buys rural homes to remodel and flip. He does well IF the floor plan and outside appeal is good to start with. You can not put lipstick on a sow, and make her pretty! He over paid for a 10 ac tract with 2 houses on it, built feet apart. What a cluster f*** Still for sale 2 yrs after and dropped the price 3 times!!!!!
He bought another one a nice well laid out home They remodeled it with granite counter tops, nice everything, BUT then they did not finish some mouldings that would have cost them $5-600!!!! On a $330,000 price tag what is $600 !?????????? Go figure.
Most of what she sells is country property. I hate houses!!!

-
Back