Bearing problem on 7 1/4" rear end

-

Cal Schreyer

Dumas
Reaction score
Has anyone else had axle bearing problems on the little rear ends? I'm only getting around 5k - 10k miles on the axle bearings, they split around the circumference. This is a stock slant with a 904 and 2.76 gears. Before anyone tells me to replace it with a n 8 3/4" I want to say there must be a reason other then a light duty rear that's causing these failures.

Sounds like they don't fit tight in the housing, or the housing for the bearing is out of round.

I never saw that in decades of working on hundreds of a body cars when they were in common use.
I would look hard at the housing and possible shitty Chinese bearings??

Sounds like they don't fit tight in the housing, or the housing for the bearing is out of round.[/QUO

I've already checked what you listed and the bearings fit tight and the housing looks good. I did not check it with a micrometer also its happened on both sides. I just found out a friend of mine has a 7 1/4" from a 69 that he drove quite a bit before changing it to a 340 and an 8 3/4" so I think I'll just swap rear ends. Thanks for your ideas....
I think Mopar bought these rears from who ever makes Yard Man garden tractors:lol:

Stock style wheel offset; no tuner style excessively wide wheels or offset?
Is it both sides having the same problem or only one on the same side each time?
Any signs of excessive heating, like the race is turned blue or black?

Stock style wheel offset; no tuner style excessively wide wheels or offset?
Is it both sides having the same problem or only one on the same side each time?
Any signs of excessive heating, like the race is turned blue or black?

15x7 stock style steel wheel, no blueing, it's happened on both sides ?????????????

My vote is cheap imported bearings. I would tend to trust Timken (even if Asian-sourced) over no-name brand but.....who knows these days.

And not towing?
Yeah, that's a poser. I've never seen it either.
When you say "they split around the circumference", do you mean to say across the short side, or on a line parallel to the circumference? And if the latter, does the split run up the center, more or less where the balls ride? Just curious.

Are your shocks OK?
Any driveline vibrations?

Last edited:
-
Back