Bearing race ?

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am doung electric brakes on my trailer, I was getting ready to repack bearings when I noticed a small ridge on all the races the bearings look great races are smooth, is this from wear? Don’t remember seeing this before but its been awhile

I am doung electric brakes on my trailer, I was getting ready to repack bearings when I noticed a small ridge on all the races the bearings look great races are smooth, is this from wear? Don’t remember seeing this before but its been awhile[/
image.jpg

Difficult to tell from the picture but it looks cast then finish machined for the bearing. Are we talking a taper cup and cone here is this a straight roller bearing that goes into a bearing pocket of the axle much like newer rear ends?

This is a taper roller bearing in a brake drum hub from my camper

New bearing new races & new seals, cheap insurance against trailer breakdown. I replace mine every 3 years no matter how good the look & have never had a problem.

NO tapered roller I have EVER seen has any sort of ridge on the bearing surface.

With the amount of damage a locked up brg on a trailer can cause & how cheap brgs are, why would you risk it??

I've seen some crazy crap happen with trailers, up to a tounge snapping and sending a 20' walkboard right past my head, to the grill of a Dakota. Seen a few that fried bearings and ate the Pave....everyone above has been in this for Along time,and are Excellent Mechanics. Please take their advice.

I've seen some crazy crap happen with trailers, up to a tounge snapping and sending a 20' walkboard right past my head, to the grill of a Dakota. Seen a few that fried bearings and ate the Pave....everyone above has been in this for Along time,and are Excellent Mechanics. Please take their advice.
I did take their advice, i replaced everything including brakes! Works great Im at the campground now

-
Back