Bee hives...

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Found a whopper in my tree in my backyard, about 25 feet up in our tree and about 30 feet from our back door. I estimate it to be about as big as a beach ball. I never noticed it until a piece came down during a wind event 2 nights ago. We thought it was just an old comb but then I looked up past where the other 'part' was and said "OMG, this isn't the whole hive...that is!" My wife doesn't want to kill them, I don't want them to terrorize my kid playing in the backyard. What can I do? Are they high enough not to bother us? I have noticed a few nights when I found a bee in the house but never thought the friggin Bee Hilton was 30 feet away! The tree will be bare of leaves in about 60 days. Will they move on in direct sunlight?
bees.JPG

IMGP9691.JPG

Find a beekeeper, they will handle it for you.

Are they wasps , Hornets or honey bees ?
Although I dont think Honey Bees make hives like that....

Looks like honey bees, the yellow comb gives it away.
Hence the bee keeper. One local beekeeper here will deal with all kinds.a valuable service imho

Honey bees will not hurt you ... leave them alone and they will swarm to build another hive.

That looks like a swarm of honey bees, your partly okay as long as they aren’t some of those wonderful Africanized variety. There’s a good chance of it with the hive being that large. But call a bee keeper ASAP. There’s enough difference between non Africanized wild bees and a swarm of domestic bees to make wild bees a risky neighbor. I used to get to help some neighbors move their beehives on occasion, so got to learn from those who know.

Beehive? In tools in garage stuff I thought it was going to be a thread about a spring compressor tool.. :BangHead:

I have bee hives, my father was an avid bee keeper. That's a honey bee swarm, they are protecting the queen by balling around her. Any local bee keeper would be happy to have them. Only problem I see is it location 25 ft high! 65"

That's no swarm, that's a 4 node yellow comb hive. I walked out there tonight and they were buzzing around up there but I didn't see one at ground level. Ill wait it out, dont want to spend $200 to remove it if they are not going to bug me. I kinda thought the local bee keepers club would love to have another colony and come get it for free, but that was a pipe dream. If it were hornets, Id cut the F'n tree down.

I have bee hives, my father was an avid bee keeper. That's a honey bee swarm, they are protecting the queen by balling around her. Any local bee keeper would be happy to have them. Only problem I see is it location 25 ft high! 65"

I agree... I am no bee expert but I have seen several honey bee swarms and that is what they look like. You could stick your hand in there and not get stung...much. Lol

Leave them bee. We need them.

I agree... I am no bee expert but I have seen several honey bee swarms and that is what they look like. You could stick your hand in there and not get stung...much. Lol

Leave them bee. We need them.

Agree on the 'we need them" , losing bees at an alarming rate . When their all gone , there wil be very little pollination , hence no food !

If their honey bees , call a bee keeper , if they are something else , I would 12 gauge them after dark, it would run them off .

That's a honey bee swarm. Jump on Facebook and look for your local bee keeping club. They all have Facebook pages. Someone will come get it. All they have to do is get the queen and the hive will follow. I've seen them just bring a cardboard box and they will all follow the queen right in. They are very docile and would probably never bother anyone right where they are.

That's no swarm, that's a 4 node yellow comb hive. I walked out there tonight and they were buzzing around up there but I didn't see one at ground level. Ill wait it out, dont want to spend $200 to remove it if they are not going to bug me. I kinda thought the local bee keepers club would love to have another colony and come get it for free, but that was a pipe dream. If it were hornets, Id cut the F'n tree down.

Yes, it's a swarm. That's what they're called, hive or no hive.

Swarm is when they just mill about in a big bee ball on the side of a truck? LSED.

Bee club says just leave it there, they dont Want it. Too high to retrieve and too high to bother me. But no playing in yard when its windy! Said they may move on after tree loses leaves. .

I thought this was about “A” bodies and not “BEE” bodies!

When the hive gets too crowded, usually in the spring, the queen will leave and take about half the bees with her if the beekeeper hasn't already split the hive. Once the queen lands,the bees swarm around her while scouts go out looking for a new place to set up camp. When the scouts come back with a location, the swarm will follow them to their new home, unless a beekeeper gets them, or some A-hole kills them. One of my hives swarmed this year. photo attached.
20170317_143246_001.jpg

-
Back