Beginning to wonder....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
...if any one ever makes a meal where EVERYTHING is right? With it just being the 2 of us we have never bothered with the "traditional" Christmas dinner...turkey/ham etc. We normally make Tamales. Was going to just make home made pizza but decided to make ribs, beans and corn bread. Ribs...have not made them since the spring but they were spot on. Not quite fall off the bone but far from chewy. Beans...royally screwed them up. Ditto on the corn bread...
I forgot that cooking ribs in a Big Green Egg, indirectly at 325* they get done fairly quickly. Normally I have the ribs and beans done so they can go in at the same time. The ribs in the XL and the beans in a Large. Ribs at 325*, beans right at 205*. My beans are stupidly simple. Can of B&M (baked or bbq, depends on what I can find...not many stores sell them here), large finely diced (only way Ernestina will eat it) onion, finely diced jalapeno, bit of cooking oil, Slap Yo Momma spice. Either bacon or a package of pulled pork. If it is pulled pork it was previously cooked and frozen. I put it in the beans frozen. Then I put some Fireball in them. I normally wait until they are warmed up to put the whiskey in them. I put just enough whiskey in them so there is just a bit of juice in the skillet. Usually at about the 3 hour mark I stop adding the Fireball...we both like the beans without a ton of liquid.
Got a late start today. Was busy working on my web site and lost track of time. The beans went in after the ribs were cooking for about 45 minutes...I am far from fast at slicing and dicing.
The damn ribs...which are normally about 4-4.5 hours until done were done in a touch over 3 hours today. Royally screwed up the beans...they were swimming in whiskey. And the corn bread...well...it was beyond dry. Ernie takes care of the corn bread. She used her normal recipe. I can't help but wonder if she had me set her Medium Egg at to high of a temperature. Normally the corn bread takes about 50 minutes. 25 minutes it was done....actually over done...crusty....to the point that we each had one slice...crumbled most of the remaining up for the pups dinner...they will get the rest tomorrow for breakfast.
Now...I have to wonder....if I can screw up a simple meal like this how bad would a full "Holiday Meal" come out?? :rofl::rofl:
So...what did you folks do for Christmas dinner?? Growing up we did the full deal. My mothers turkey was....well....lets just say the only way to get it down was to smother it with gravy. After my dad had the strokes I bought him one on those water pan smokers. First year he had it my parents fought like fire and gas for days about how the bird was going to get cooked. My Dad won...best damn bird I ever had...

Christmas Presents and Barracuda Parts are all lost in the mail.
Parts that came from Florida made it to Saint Louis, then went to Reno and stopped moving 2 weeks ago.
Parts from New York made it to Jersey and Vanished 3 weeks ago... UsPs have lost their minds.

Christmas Presents and Barracuda Parts are all lost in the mail.
Parts that came from Florida made it to Saint Louis, then went to Reno and stopped moving 2 weeks ago.
Parts from New York made it to Jersey and Vanished 3 weeks ago... UsPs have lost their minds.
I still have friends that work at the P/O.
The one that works at the plant said they have at least a 100 or more trailers sitting outside that haven't been touched yet. Those trailers have parcels, bulk mailers, catalogs, 2nd and 3rd class mail.
He said that UPS, FedEx and Amazon dumped all their excess on USPS because they were overwhelmed and understaffed.
Their focus is to get parcels and 1st class processed as priority. Everything else will get dealt with as quick as they can.

-
Back