"Bench test" water pump??

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, another damned coolant leak. I believe I have it narrowed down to either where timing tab mounted (2bolts) or it could be shaft seal and coming out weep hole. I dont want to regasket, reseal and have it be the weep hole (leaking shaft seal).
Heres my "bench test"
I put water pump upside down in vice, added water around seal/impeller and no drips out weep hole.
Then I thought maybe cuz of no pressure? ?
So left pump in vice upside down and put dish soap in around shaft seal and gently blew air in weep hole. Well bubbles appear, not a lot but definitely getting thru the seal.
Can you tell me is seal shot?
Thanks all.
Oh 67 273 if that helps.

20160926_123937.jpg

20160926_123835.jpg

20160926_123821.jpg

Dead giveaway there Steve as it's been depositing well, deposits where the coolant has been running down the housing.
It's the seal.

Well I drove up to National Moparts and bought a new pump. Got the proper nipples to match the intake and bump/bypass hose. As it turns out the hose is a 70+ hose, same as nipple on LD4B.
Pump is a pretty close match cast iron, mount bosses are thicker on new pump. Has an extra threaded hole on top but it comes with a pipe plug. It was brand new so no core which is a plus to keep my original one.
Pump n nipples $128....Ive paid more before for less lol

20160926_190232.jpg

20160926_190351.jpg

20160926_190444.jpg

20160926_190854.jpg

20160926_191031.jpg

Yep rebuild kits are non existent, and the new one looks pretty close, tired of doing things 3 times.
The timing cover where the pump mounts has some pitting/corrosion, so I was going to lay a thin bead of Right Stuff on TC, then gasket then pump.
Machined surface shouldn't need goop?
Sound right?
nice! sometimes ya just gotta say f-it...

sounds right - sealant goes on timing cover not water pump...I think... LOL - I always have to read it to get it right, not one of those things I do often enough to commit it to memory...

Yea Ii would forget too but in my mind a gasket against machined surface should be good, and goop to smooth out iimperfections (same as oil pan gasket)
Thanks for confirming Mike.
sounds right - sealant goes on timing cover not water pump...I think... LOL - I always have to read it to get it right, not one of those things I do often enough to commit it to memory...

Which hole I ask?? New water pump has an extra one. One with black plug or red plug? I don't think it matters but just in case.

Thanks
Steve

20160928_101304.jpg

for what Steve? I think they both are heater hose connections... one hole is an innie and one is an outtie...

Last edited:
Engine has LD4B and thats where the other heater hose connects to.
Orig pump has 2 nipples this one 3 (Chandler)

hum.. so Steve, I don't know that it matters.. - - are you a big hole a small hole kinda guy? :D

Looks to me like they both function the same due to the pump housing shape, but you have a choice of small or large hose fitting.
The heater has 2 different sizes coming off of it, so the one that doesn't fit the intake fitting would go to the corresponding fitting on the water pump.
That said, it looks to me like you would use the one closest to the crossover just like the old pump did and plug the larger one off.

Looks to me like they both function the same due to the pump housing shape, but you have a choice of small or large hose fitting.
The heater has 2 different sizes coming off of it, so the one that doesn't fit the intake fitting would go to the corresponding fitting on the water pump.
That said, it looks to me like you would use the one closest to the crossover just like the old pump did and plug the larger one off.
well - I was trying to dumb it down and have some fun at Steve's expense... but yea, what you said... :lol:

Well from past experiences in big holes I would use finger(s) to take up the slack.
I guess having a choice is good, I can play eenie meenie with the holes. Both red n black plugs are same size.
Thanks guys!
ocean city md.

big cruise/show there.. always a fun time..
Special Event Pro, Inc. | Endless Summer | Ocean City MD

pics from a couple years ago.. page1

hum.. so Steve, I don't know that it matters.. - - are you a big hole a small hole kinda guy? :D

-
Back