Benchtop tools on hitch mounts, with storage tree

-

Gdub310

Reaction score
My shop is a two-car garage, and I am always looking for ways to maximize the efficient use of space. I live in an urban neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles, so there's no room on my 5,000 sq. ft. city lot to expand my garage or put up another building.

I previously built 2" receivers into my welding table and workbench and put my vise on a hitch mount, so I can move my vise where I need it. I decided to mount other "benchtop" type tools to hitch mounts also, for flexibility and convenience. After mounting up a couple tools, I needed a place to store them when they aren't in use. I decided to go vertical with my solution, to save scarce floor space.

These photos show the system in use and some key details. I think it is pretty self-explanatory, so I won't put a step-by-step here. Hopefully, someone finds it useful, and even better, finds a way to improve upon it. The only thing I would do differently is make it taller - I could have gone another 18 - 24" taller, but I had a pre-cut 7-footer on hand and I used that.

The materials used are 2" square tubing for the main vertical upright, which is drilled every 4" to accommodate a bolt to hold each receiver in place where needed. The receivers are made from .238 wall square tubing with a 2" inside measurement. I buy this at my local steel supplier, but I have also bought Curt 2" receiver tubes in 36" and 48" lengths in the past, for similar projects.

IMG_20190426_194007.jpg

IMG_20190426_115723.jpg

IMG_20190426_115918.jpg

IMG_20190426_120151.jpg

IMG_20190426_194246.jpg

IMG_20190426_120106.jpg

I like that idea! I am working on an idea similar to that except it actually goes to my truck hitch to give me a solid mounting area until I can get another shop built

That's a nice solution to the problem. I did something similar with woodworking tools. I made a base for my band saw, belt sander, miter saw, router, etc. They were cut to fit a Stanley Workmate. When not used they sat on a shelf in a cabinet. Your way is better!

My shop is a two-car garage, and I am always looking for ways to maximize the efficient use of space. I live in an urban neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles, so there's no room on my 5,000 sq. ft. city lot to expand my garage or put up another building.

I previously built 2" receivers into my welding table and workbench and put my vise on a hitch mount, so I can move my vise where I need it. I decided to mount other "benchtop" type tools to hitch mounts also, for flexibility and convenience. After mounting up a couple tools, I needed a place to store them when they aren't in use. I decided to go vertical with my solution, to save scarce floor space.

These photos show the system in use and some key details. I think it is pretty self-explanatory, so I won't put a step-by-step here. Hopefully, someone finds it useful, and even better, finds a way to improve upon it. The only thing I would do differently is make it taller - I could have gone another 18 - 24" taller, but I had a pre-cut 7-footer on hand and I used that.

The materials used are 2" square tubing for the main vertical upright, which is drilled every 4" to accommodate a bolt to hold each receiver in place where needed. The receivers are made from .238 wall square tubing with a 2" inside measurement. I buy this at my local steel supplier, but I have also bought Curt 2" receiver tubes in 36" and 48" lengths in the past, for similar projects.

View attachment 1715326575
View attachment 1715326576
View attachment 1715326577
View attachment 1715326579
View attachment 1715326580

View attachment 1715326578

T

I have my welding table with a receiver tube welded inside under the top.
Pull vise and flip it and i have a clear worktop.
In the shop where i used to work,i cut a hole in the floor and used construction adhesive to bond in a 2” receiver tube.
I had a bunch of things that would go in it. T-stand,vise,tire changer,ring roller. It was great to anchor for pulling stuff into shop.

WOW I have to admit you carried that to "an extreme". I do similar things on a smaller scale. I rebuilt my trailer so the tongue tilts the rest of the trailer with a jack. I welded mounts at the rear corners so I can stick a pair of cheap tongue jacks on there to support the rear while unloading/ loading. "Back in the day" I built smaller hitch type mounts for the bench vise/ pipe vise on the rear of my service truck (HVAC)

2yl4ets.jpg

img049cs.jpg

............And the trailer winch mount is a 2" receiver (not this same winch, anymore) and now I have FRONT hitch for the "new" 01 Cummins, so the winch will mount "most anyplace" lol

303g2ux.jpg

Very Nice. I have a bench vice mounted to a receiver. Its real handy to slide into the hitch on my truck.

-
Back