bent frame rail question

-

tet68

Reaction score
if I measure another darts distance between the frame rails foreward of the firewall and both are exactly the same can I cut this one off and replace it with a partial one

Attachments

• DSCF8271.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 258
Probably could, but it may not be the best way. The rail and the rest of the floor may be damaged, and should be measured back further to see. Best would be to pull the damaged rail close to the original position to relieve the stress on the rest, and then measure the frame for correctness, then cut and replace the whole thing. JMO

I had a frame shop do something similar on a Turbo T-Bird that I had, but as 3404speed said, they pulled the bent pieces as close to original as possible and then cut off the partial rail and welded on the new one with gusset plates to strengthen the welded area.

I had a frame shop do something similar on a Turbo T-Bird that I had, but as 3404speed said, they pulled the bent pieces as close to original as possible and then cut off the partial rail and welded on the new one with gusset plates to strengthen the welded area.
with the car sitting on blocks don't think I can pull it straight with a come along maybe chain the other rail to a truck bumper and try

Why not take it to a frame shop and have them do the whole job? My guy towed it to his shop, stretched and pulled back to exact factory specs, welded on the new frame rail portion and towed it back home for a mere $800 in NJ! Plus he trial fitted the fenders, hood and grille for free.

They have the equipment and the tools to do the job professionally. Do you want to trust your life or your loved ones lives if your work fails?

My suggestion would be to replace the entire rail.

That rail is bent like that and it didn't hurt the other side?

don't appar to have hurt other rail have decide to buy donor car take in garage try to install both frame rails suspension inner fenders and radiator support all togeather

That rail is bent like that and it didn't hurt the other side?

I agree with all the above post's.... but it must have destroyed the K-member with all that force and it had to move or push the passenger rail out a considerable amount. This is just my opinion. Like said.... take it to a professional, and save yourself a lot of grief!

Bet money that the other side is tweaked, and the possibility that there is damage to the trans crossmember.

with the car sitting on blocks don't think I can pull it straight with a come along maybe chain the other rail to a truck bumper and try

It's almost impossible to get a good/accurate pull without a proper way to fixture the car. X and length measurements under the cabin to the frame holes should reveal if the rail has been moved rearward. Need to check your door opening on that side to make sure the a-pillar hasn't been kicked back. Foundation needs to be square or you'll be fighting/fudging it together the rest of the way.

It's almost impossible to get a good/accurate pull without a proper way to fixture the car. X and length measurements under the cabin to the frame holes should reveal if the rail has been moved rearward. Need to check your door opening on that side to make sure the a-pillar hasn't been kicked back. Foundation needs to be square or you'll be fighting/fudging it together the rest of the way.

Agreed 100%.....could not have been said any better!!

-
Back