Bent frame????

-

drewmac

Reaction score
So I have noticed over time that the drivers side of the front of my Barracuda seems higher than the passenger side even though the k member seems to be level. It does not look like it has ever been hit but at the center of the wheel arch it is almost 3/4 inch higher. Any thoughts? Build tolerances (I can't really imagine that), bent frame, mis aligned fender(everything "looks even and fits). I am stumped.

P.S. I just installed a new suspension and steering parts. Everything looks good. :(

Hang plumb bobs down the left and right sub frame rails and keep them at the same hanging distance left and right.

Then sight down the plumb bobs from the front of the car comparing left side to right side. If the frame is straight the left and right sides should be hanging the same. If not the same . . bent frame.

Also cross check your unibody from the front lower ball joints to the U bolts at the rear shock plates with a 3/4" tape measure. They should be within 1/4" with a straight frame.

So I have noticed over time that the drivers side of the front of my Barracuda seems higher than the passenger side even though the k member seems to be level. It does not look like it has ever been hit but at the center of the wheel arch it is almost 3/4 inch higher. Any thoughts? Build tolerances (I can't really imagine that), bent frame, mis aligned fender(everything "looks even and fits). I am stumped.

P.S. I just installed a new suspension and steering parts. Everything looks good. :(
Use the torsion bar adjusters to lower the high side.
Have you had the front end professionally aligned after you installed all the new parts?

Yes. The alignment went well. I have the full Hotchkis TVS on it. Like I said the K member looks level. I will do some measurements etc and see if I can find something.

Yes. The alignment went well. I have the full Hotchkis TVS on it. Like I said the K member looks level. I will do some measurements etc and see if I can find something.
The torsion adjustments can be used to adjust ride height and balance out the front end from side to side.
Perfectly normal with all the tolerance stackup.

Yes. The alignment went well...
only if the ride height was properly set first thing. and they can't do it just by measuring the frame, or fenders, or looking at it. you want it above or below factory spec, that's fine, but it should be done FSM style. if your just eyeballing the gaps on the body work it's just a guess. the manual also has the procedures and measurements for checking if the unibody is straight.
you can download the manuals from MYMOPAR

That's not bent, This is bent

Screenshot_20190227-092504_Instagram (2).jpg

Check the back first; a difference in ride height there from side to side will telegraph to the front. A saggy or broke spring, or a busted rear mount will do that, as will junk in the trunk.

Yes,
And some of the Super Stock replacement springs have more of an arch on one side compared to the other to compensate for the torque twist of the rear end when under power.

Ok so I found out I was too high on the drivers side by an inch!!! Adjusted the torsion bar and re aligned it and we are good to go! Thanks for all the help!

-
Back