Bent the stabilizer jacks on the camper...

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Technically I bent them, but only because the kids decided to help before being told to push the buttons. Although i take partial blame, as well. The rears are not made to lift the total weight of the camper, just enough to stabilize it.
Anyway, been doing this for 13 years they. They know the 12 inch pieces of 2x12 go on the ground and then the jacks get put down. I handed the boards to Josh so he could put them in position. I then went to the front to raise the nose to be level. I didn't know he asked his little sister if she wanted to push the button. So she did, and put the rears down while I was raising the front. Got the front where I wanted it and walked the the rear and just stood there for a second with that 'what the hell' look on my face.
Both legs were bent as bad as the one on the right.
I have got them both a tad straighter than the one on the left now.
I'm going to weld a couple of 18 inch pieces of angle iron to the insides, with a couple of cross braces in between. I will update with pics of my Yankee ingenuity as I make progress.
They won't be perfect, but they will be functional again.
10369.jpeg

I bent one of mine a few weeks ago too, tried to use it in a method it wasn't meant for and the camper rolled a little and crumbled the jack. Mine are the standard ones though, like the scissor jacks. I ended up replacing it, but debated about it, I've been using a 2x4 and ratchet strap for years to stabilize the camper and it works so good, that I don't really need the factory jacks.

Form follows function. Might not be pretty, but they will be functional. Butt ugly welda and all. And only cost me 28 bucks in material as opposed to 480 for a whole new unit.
20220915_131225.jpg
20220915_133954.jpg

Is there a reason it has to be open channel?

I'd have been inclined to just buy some 1/8" wall square tube and drill the mounting holes...

Yeah, the legs raise up into another channel where the end to end screw rod is. That screw rod gets closed in the leg channels when they are raised, so they go almost flush.

Yeah, the legs raise up into another channel where the end to end screw rod is. That screw rod gets closed in the leg channels when they are raised, so they go almost flush.

Ah, that makes sense. I kinda figured it might have to be open channel for the way it stows, but you never know

Sunnybrook's are built like tanks, but it looks like you found the weak spot. The Sunnybrook 5th wheel we had, had hydraulic front legs and manual scissor jacks at the rear. Glad you got it fixed pretty easily.
:thumbsup:

Yeah JD, was a pretty easy fix so to speak. The fun part was figuring out how they they come apart. Ready to put them back on tomorrow.
20220915_152957.jpg

-
Back