Best bang for the buck?

-

CRAMAR

Reaction score
Should i get edelbrock heads or 4.11 gears?
Car is a 72 duster 318 engine runs 15.02 in the 1/4 mile.
I have almost no money to spend but want to index race 13.50.

Screenshot_20190913-074227.png

Wait till the Speedmasters go on sale. Your gears are fine...

converter.... and make sure it hooks up!
Give us more detail. Post a ET slip? Headers? Dual exhaust? What carb/intake? And tune what you have now, should go faster than 15.02 with 3.55's, cam, 4bbl.
P.S. - almost no money and considering eddy heads???

P4452759 260/268 lift 430/450 and matching springs
Screenshot_20191104-152336.png

so I looked up your cam and as you can see there's the advertised duration which you quoted me and the real duration at 50%... I don't even see the need for new Springs with this cam..
The problem lies in the low compression of the 318 in it's stock forum... If you went with a new torque converter like people are recommending you would probably be able to step up that cam just a little bit as well. I have more questions though.. what intake manifold? Carburetor? Headers? Dual exhaust? One tire fire or Sure Grip? Rear tire size? And are you spining off the line?..

converter.... and make sure it hooks up!
Give us more detail. Post a ET slip? Headers? Dual exhaust? What carb/intake? And tune what you have now, should go faster than 15.02 with 3.55's, cam, 4bbl.
P.S. - almost no money and considering eddy heads???
Stock bottom end 318. J heads 1.88 600 eddy carb dual plane performer intake 340manifolds dual exhaust 727 trans and i am pretty sure the 145 k 1900-2100 stall converter.Rear end is 8 3/4 sure grip with super stock springs

Last edited:
View attachment 1715418635
so I looked up your cam and as you can see there's the advertised duration which you quoted me and the real duration at 50%... I don't even see the need for new Springs with this cam..
The problem lies in the low compression of the 318 in it's stock forum... If you went with a new torque converter like people are recommending you would probably be able to step up that cam just a little bit as well. I have more questions though.. what intake manifold? Carburetor? Headers? Dual exhaust? One tire fire or Sure Grip? Rear tire size? And are you spining off the line?..

Tire size is 2356015 mickey thompson et street no spin
The Eddies are 750 each plus you'll need the head bolts ($85) and $100 in gaskets. $1700. For $820 plus the head bolts and gaskets you'll be $1, 000. That would leave you enough for a new converter adjustable rockers new pushrods and a solid cam and solid lifters. Use the thinnest head gasket you can find for better compression. For $1, 700 You Oughta be knocking on the door of 12's...

The Eddies are 750 each plus you'll need the head bolts ($85) and $100 in gaskets. $1700. For $820 plus the head bolts and gaskets you'll be $1, 000. That would leave you enough for a new converter adjustable rockers new pushrods and a solid cam and solid lifters. Use the thinnest head gasket you can find for better compression. For $1, 700 You Oughta be knocking on the door of 12's...
Wow!

Right now those heads are $1, 171 and on a promo give a free intake manifold as well which lists for $226. But if you watch their site like I did every six months or so they have a 30% off sale. And that's how I got the heads for 820 to my door without the manifold... Black Friday's coming soon... speedmaster79.com it's not easy to navigate but you'll find them.. still find their head stud kits are cheaper and the same quality as Edelbrock. Also their intake manifold gaskets are one third of the price as well...

And don't forget the light in your car up as much as you can.. empty out all that spare tire jack and definitely the backseat.. that just pops out and Pops back in...

Well it's somebody else's turn now I'm sure there's 10 different ways to slice this pizza...
Any pictures of your ride?..

Stock bottom end 318. J heads 1.88 600 eddy carb dual plane performer intake 340manifolds dual exhaust 727 trans and i am pretty sure the 145 k 1900-2100 stall converter.Rear end is 8 3/4 sure grip with super stock springs
My advice: Do NOT change heads, gears, converter till you tune with the car now. Car should go faster than 15.02.
I don't think you are racing at a high elevation...??

What is the difference in advertised duration and duration at 50.I think my cam is straight up.I am only using logic here because i didnt degree it just dot to dot.
Advertised duration is in my opinion a way of hyping up a cam.. most people will compare the cam @50. That really gives a true idea of a good comparison. Notice to 221 and 228 are your numbers.
once you get into to 230 and above then you're going to need a higher stall converter so you're not holding both feet on the brake at a stop and it's still trying to Gallup and push it through the light LOL meaning you kind of need a little slippage..
I would definitely hope that about 10 other people jump in here with about twenty other ideas and you take all that into consideration and make your decision from there not just one chicken thrower like me LOL

-
Back