Best bang for the buck?

-
There is some of it. Good chance those J heads have a lot more cc than the 318 heads would have had. If you used a head gasket thicker than factory tins, then you added more cc's. Therefore, you lose compression, which loses low end torque. I usually cut them about .040. You will be told by most that you have to cut the intake also. My experience in times past is I've never cut the intake face and NEVER had an issue. Also, couple that with your cam, and you have a 318 that doesn't want to come to life till 4000 rpms. Thus, your 2.36 60 ft
  • What is your initial timing?
  • What is your total timing?
  • I would guess your current combo as it sits would like about 22* initial and 40* total.
  • Have you warmed it up, pulled the plugs, pin the carb open and done a compression check?

I already assumed this. It's not going to no matter how it's tuned. The short stroke needs gears and a 3500 stall converter to get and keep the 318 in the working rpm range
That certainly would be the ultimate. That is why the converter was my first post.

I think my biggest piece of advice here will be when you DO get ready to spend money, don't be scared of a converter. Converter technology is fantastic these days. You can get a converter tight enough for street duty with pretty much zero extra slippage, but will flash to 5K if that's what you want. I agree with fishmens67 too, that a converter that will flash around 3500 would be very good......that is WHEN you're ready to get there. And hell, don't let us decide that for you. Order the thing tomorrow if you want to. lol One last thing. Don't skimp on the converter, get a good one. I recommend Precision of New Hampton. Great company and very reasonable. Call them. Tell them what you have and what you want. They will fix you up. Like @crackedback always says, on an automatic car, the converter is the single most important piece in the equation, bar none. So get a good one.

It just makes sense it's got a 727 so that's working against you also as opposed to a light 904,so you need all the torque you can get with that combo.

I have to agree with Rusty Rat Rod I absolutely detest getting people to spend money. Although you started out with looking at Edelbrock heads and I can't recommend those with what's available now on the market for a budget like your title says. you have a lot of stuff for a fast car combination but just kind of need the finishing touches to take you to the next level. Overcoming the low compression is helped by a thinner head gasket and a smaller chamber in your head. Anything short of that would be putting in different Pistons to come up higher and make a smaller area to squish the gas and air..
Tuning is great but were you wanting to go is going to require horsepower..

It just makes sense it's got a 727 so that's working against you also as opposed to a light 904,so you need all the torque you can get with that combo.

I agree, sorta. It really cuts both ways. I like the 727 in his situation, because while it's true it does take more power to drive, when it's right, he'll not worry about breaking it.

I agree, sorta. It really cuts both ways. I like the 727 in his situation, because while it's true it does take more power to drive, when it's right, he'll not worry about breaking it.
As long as he shifts into second while he's in the wet box...

Most people drag racing seriously with automatics and the choice is between a 904 or 727 go with a built 904 with a small block..
if we're to keep with the title I don't think changing his gears or his transmission is going to get him the best bang for his buck...
I like the converter idea and doing something to raise his compression idea myself...

Also if you're drag racing and looking for horsepower get some headers on that damn thing... Stop being scared! LOL...

They recommend you shift into 2nd gear with a 727 because it puts a heavy load on the rear sprag and can make it explode when dragging back on first gear. as in it's best not to wind out first gear and let off real fast. Best to just shift into second then let off...

They recommend you shift into 2nd gear with a 727 because it puts a heavy load on the rear sprag and can make it explode when dragging back on first gear. as in it's best not to wind out first gear and let off real fast. Best to just shift into second then let off...
Many pics of explosions of 727s if you look them up scary stuff.

I always shifted to 2nd, because it was much easier to heat the tires in the water box.

I'm interested to see what the OP ends up turning from the 318, and what steps he took to get there :)

You have a 727 ?
well, technically yes in both ramchargers, and 2 laying on the ground. But no, not in my current Dusters, but yes, in past cars that I've taken to the strip.

-
Back