Best cam for gen 3 daily driver 6.1 in 72 Demon

-

Sublime one

72 Demon
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Northwest Arkansas Blair Creek Training Center
I am about to pull engine out for about the millionth time getting ready to go to paint. Yes Sublime of course! Anyway I am considering putting a different cam in while I have the engine out this last time. The 6.1 is going in a 72 Demon backed with a Tremec 6 speed manual. Please note this is not a race car! It is a daily driver for wife. It has headers and that is virtually the only thing changed beyond being stuffed in a Demon. I want to run on pump gas and maintain the reliability of stock. Best option may very well be to leave it alone. I am thinking out loud here and would love some input. I am not overly modern savvy with regard to the 6.1 if I need to swap throttle body that is fine but I have zero interest in modifying heads, intake manifold etc. it is a daily driver. I already have a race car and this ain't it!

IMG_1359.JPG

Leave it alone and put 3.55 or 3.91 gears in the rear. I have a good friend who works for High Horse Performance and none of the cams are designed for just a little bump in power for the 6.1. They are all designed to go with new heads to work best.

If you want to know more about what’s available for the 6.1, I can put you in touch with him.

Leave it alone and put 3.55 or 3.91 gears in the rear. I have a good friend who works for High Horse Performance and none of the cams are designed for just a little bump in power for the 6.1. They are all designed to go with new heads to work best.

If you want to know more about what’s available for the 6.1, I can put you in touch with him.
You are confirming my original thoughts! I have already put 355s in. I just don't see a lot of benefit to the expenditure if I don't do the heads? I mean for a daily driver I think it will rock! It was just that the motor is staring at me out of the car, cam swap becomes super easy! But holy smokes stock HP is nuts to begin with.

You are confirming my original thoughts! I have already put 355s in. I just don't see a lot of benefit to the expenditure if I don't do the heads? I mean for a daily driver I think it will rock! It was just that the motor is staring at me out of the car, cam swap becomes super easy! But holy smokes stock HP is nuts to begin with.
I had long discussions with the guys at HHP about what to do to get a nice bit of performance boost out of the 6.1 in my 2006 Charger SRT but still keep it able to use daily on the street comfortably. In the end, I put in a 3.92 Getrag LSD and it is awesome! Pulls the power band in nice and tight and provides nearly instant acceleration. I also added a 93 octane tune from DiabloSport to optimize A/F across the full RPM range.

Did the swap require you to also change the throttle body?

Still using the stock throttle body. The only requirement for this cam was a new tune. I did some data logging with my laptop and sent the files to Johan (diablotoona) and he emailed me a modified tune a few hours later. Only took 2 revisions to get it dialed in.

Still using the stock throttle body. The only requirement for this cam was a new tune. I did some data logging with my laptop and sent the files to Johan (diablotoona) and he emailed me a modified tune a few hours later. Only took 2 revisions to get it dialed in.
So you also have a Diablo tuner in it? Which version?

So you also have a Diablo tuner in it? Which version?

Correct, if you use the stock engine controller you will need a tuner of some sort. I’m using the old diablo predator hand held device on my SRT8.

I’m also collecting parts to put a supercharged 6.1 into my 68 barracuda and have been considering the megasquirt for that build. The stock setup does not really support boost (does not compensate for part throttle boost).

Correct, if you use the stock engine controller you will need a tuner of some sort. I’m using the old diablo predator hand held device on my SRT8.

I’m also collecting parts to put a supercharged 6.1 into my 68 barracuda and have been considering the megasquirt for that build. The stock setup does not really support boost (does not compensate for part throttle boost).
I think for my application on the 6.1 perhaps just leaving cam stock may be better. am building it for my wife as literally a daily driver. Between cost of cam then a tuner it is more money and effort than I need, sadly my default setting is to always go race. She had to talk me out of a roll bar in the Demon! I am thinking to myself why wouldn't you. Money is tight on this build.
Thanks so much for the reply. As a foot note I put a Mega Squirt 3 in my Cuda and really really like it. But I don't know Jack about boost and supercharging.

-
Back