Best de-greaser for old caked-on oil/dirt?

-

seabee

Reaction score
Hi gang, hope all is well. Any suggestions for heavy duty degreaser brands? Have to degrease a trans and the entire underside of the car for prep. Lots of sandy, oily, baked-on sludge.

Thanks,

Billy

A putty knife!!!

Easy-Off oven cleaner works well, but may discolor aluminum.

Walmart Auto Department. Grab a gallon jug of Super Clean. Comes in a big purple jug. Not to be confused with Purple Power or Crud Cutter although they work too. You can dilute it like crazy and it still kicks ***. If you wash your hands with it straight it may never quit making soap! Buy a good quality spray bottle and dilute it to your needs.
Super Clean. One of the few snake oil products I endorse because I've had good luck with it.
Also Never Seize and Rain-X products.

A pressure washer that can heat up the water to over 200 degrees. The gunk should melt right off leaving you minimal cleanup.

Walmart Auto Department. Grab a gallon jug of Super Clean. Comes in a big purple jug. Not to be confused with Purple Power or Crud Cutter although they work too. You can dilute it like crazy and it still kicks ***. If you wash your hands with it straight it may never quit making soap! Buy a good quality spray bottle and dilute it to your needs.
Super Clean. One of the few snake oil products I endorse because I've had good luck with it.
Also Never Seize and Rain-X products.

I agree, awesome stuff! I bought a plastic storage bin and put 2 gallons of Super Clean in and about 6-8 gallons of water. I let the parts sit in it over night and they come out clean(with a little help from the garden hose of course). For engines and big parts, I use it straight from the bottle.

Grease Off is what I have had good results with in the past.

As others have allready stated.
Super Clean.
Works great. Wear gloves, when using it.

Attachments

• super clean.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 205
Heated pressure washer or steam cleaner are teh BEST bar none other wise a back pack sprayer of purple power or something like it

Damm, is that stuff still made?

I had to use that stuff on the wash rack, when the Phantom had to be washed.

Strong stuff.

It is still made but is now highly controlled. No more washing airplanes or hands with it. I've only seen it lately in parts cleaning machines and I think anyone within fifty feet has to wear a haz-mat suit.

You may find an outfit which steam cleans (heated pressure washer) trucks or something and have it done. There used to be plenty of places which had a rack for your car and they would stand under it and steam clean the underside. Since you are in SOCAL I would look out in the desert where the rednecks and truck-rodders live.

DIY, Wait till hot summer (so things will dry after). Rent a steam cleaner pressure washer for 250 - 400 bucks. Jack car up 4 feet off the ground using tall jack stands or what ever. Proceed to blast.
In the engine bay, when blasting up from underneath, lots of gunk will end up all over your engine and engine bay so you'll want to then open the hood and wash the area out after you do the underside.

Steam cleaner will remove all traces of gunk. If you put it 4 inches away from the surface, it will remove undercoat too. Wear an old raincoat and get a few pair of chemistry goggles cause it is a messy job.

A good brush a hose and a wife, no soap needed

Wooaa, I will try that with my wife when I finally get to the stage of cleaning everything up but I think I will go on and get my sleeping bag and a pillow out the house prior to asking her, just to safe.

-
Back