Best engine temp for horse power??

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
What does everyone think the best temp is ---for the best ET.:burnout:

IMO - oil warm but not hot, water cool. So long as it's the same temp when the run begins (following burn out and staing) it's not that big a deal. Consistency is big. Actual number is not so long as the engine and driveline's fully warmed up to operating temp.

as said...for consistency you want the same water temp going into the water box....if you are looking to set low et of the meet....warm oil and a cold intake manifold will help...

out here in the desert...we usually shoot for 160 degrees going into the water box...

with the switch over to E85....the engine runs very cool and 140 seems is easy to do..

On my semi's we run Evan coolant.
Boiling point is somewhere over 400 degree's.
We use thermostats that open at 210 degrees.
Are oil runs about 195-200 not pulling a grade.
We do this to get better fuel millage.
Running sysenthetic oil
No proof here,but if we are getting better fuel millage I would think the oil is working better.
The only reason we are running hotter water temp is to get the oil temp up.

I know you're trying to get near that 13sec mark. As said earlier, warm oil and cool intake temps are the best.

Now that it's summer, if you can get a cooler/dryer day, and as long as you're oil pressure is good, i'd.......

Use thinner oil, if possible.........
Ice the intake with some Ziploc bags just before the run......
And maybe look into installing a cool can on your fuel line.....

I used to like to leave the line at no higher then 180* on the water temp.

of all of that - the cool can on the fuel line will be the most beneficial.

My second run is usually my fastest. This is probably due to getting all the fluids up to temp during the first run (trans, engine, rear end). I always dial from my second run. However,when I start to hot lap in the later rounds it also picks up a couple hundredths (if there is < 20 min cool down)....so who knows. I usually hit the water box at 160° engine temp.

-
Back