Best Fuel Pump Advice for Newb...

-
On my way home to change back to the 0.095's, it seemed to run closer to 12.2 AFR. So I decided to leave those 0.098 jets in.

I changed direction and drove up to the track. I got 1 good run in, and the problems started again. I'm convinced now it is vapor locking. As it seems that it gets about to where the fuel that was in the lines about at the fuel pump, make it to the float bowl, and after that it seems to crap out. Seems to fit my idea of vapor locking. And the first time everything was cooler. So, I'm going to add a low pressure fuel pump to the Scamp, in or near the tank. That should push fuel past a vapor locked fuel pump. And cool the fuel pump with cool fuel etc.

But to the one good run. OH WHAT A GLORIOUS RUN IT WAS! The Scamp hooked up good on the line, and sounded AWESOME all the way down. I had a Camaro line up next to me, and I got to beat him. Not sure what kind of engine it had. Admittedly, it might have been a V6. But it was fun, we ran side by side until I hit 3rd, and then started pulling away. What started this was that I wanted to beat that old 56 (or so) Chevy that was super-loud, big fat tires, all kind of gauges, and his ran a 14.2 second ET. Here are the numbers:

Reaction: 0.017 (not that it matters)
60 feet: 2.181 (all time best)
330 feet: 6.033 (all time best)
1/8 ET: 9.178 (all time best)
1/8 Trap: 78.00 (all time best)
1000 Ft: 11.895 (all time best)
1/4 ET: 14.179 (all time best)
1/4 Trap: 99.01 (all time best)

As you can see, I'm at the point where I can beat that old Chevy. I didn't see him there this time. But I got to get this vapor locking resolved. Also, on that 1 run, I accidently short shifted first (a little). I think if I held it another 500 rpm, I could have made my 13.999 second E.T. This run was NOT BAD on these pizza cutter street radials!

What I'd like the "teams" advice on. Should I be looking for an external pump, or in-tank pump? If external, is there a particular low pressure pump that I should be focused on? There's like 10 that come up on Summit Racing. The Summit technical guys are pointing me to the Carter P60898 (Carter Universal Rotary Vane Electric Fuel Pumps P60898). It seems quite a bit bigger than the others. I'd like a more compact pump.

What do you guys recommend?

7milesout

Last edited:
Looking at what is required for an in-tank pump, I will stay with an external pump. Bear in mind, I'm keeping the mechanical pump as well. I'll trigger the external electric pump on the ignition, but will have an ON/OFF switch in-line with that. In case I want to turn it off. Don't know why I would, but if I were to need to for some reason.

So, the advice sought from you guys is simplified. I would like to know if you guys have a recommendation, or if one of the pumps from the list linked below is a standout. Thanks!

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/search/part-type/fuel-pumps-electric-external/maximum-pressure-psi/5-psi?N=4294948048+4294947842+4294903117&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&retaillocation=ga&tw=fuel pump&sw=Fuel Pumps, Electric External

Checked and replaced that jumper hose when I replaced the tank. Got the hose clamps on good too. I think I'm OK there.

No problem AJ, I don't mind if something is repeated a hundred times, but that wasn't mentioned before.

Checked and replaced that jumper hose when I replaced the tank. Got the hose clamps on good too. I think I'm OK there.

No problem AJ, I don't mind if something is repeated a hundred times, but that wasn't mentioned before.
Oh Ok thanks.
You know about gear clamps then,right? If you use those back there, you have to double them up and offset them 180*, else as the hose ages it loses it's grip and the pump sucks air right at the screw anchor. It doesn't usually leak fuel cuz it's higher than the tank. When you stop the car the fuel puddles in the lowest part of the supply line. If there is enough in there, the pump picks it up and pushes it up into the carb. If there is only a small air leak at the jumper, maybe the pump will continue to pull the fuel up and the car continues to run. But when you stand on it, the pump draws more air, and eventually the bowl dries up. It usually takes a lotta lotta cranking to get it running again. Very frustrating.
Mechanical fuel pumps have two chambers a pusher side and a puller side. The pusher side makes the pressure........................... and the puller side makes vacuum, and you can measure both.I just thought I'd throw that in there in case nobody had mentioned that either. You can put the vacuum gauge on the jumper and quickly see what is what.
The reason I mention that is because, my fuel system lives beside a 400hp aluminum headed giant killer that hits 93 in the 1/8 yet will slog along in traffic for long periods of time on the hottest days, and never a hint of trouble. It gets hot as Hades under that hood, but the fuel keeps moving along without any help from an auxiliary pump.
Nevertheless,Happy HotRodding.

-
Back