Best Intake for a 408

-
The Super Victor needs a pile of work over an airgap or even a Victor… mot an out of the box deal in my opinion….

View attachment 1716030468
I hear this a lot and I do not doubt it. It is cool that a Super Victor is working well for @Demonx2 but I cannot help wondering if an out of the box Victor 340 would pick up something useable in his case.

My understanding is the Super Victor is more like a raw racing part, intended to be ported to work on the combination it’s going on. I’d love to see a bunch of tests on the dyno and especially on the track but that costs too much for most of us to do, not to mention the time involved.

I hear this a lot and I do not doubt it. It is cool that a Super Victor is working well for @Demonx2 but I cannot help wondering if an out of the box Victor 340 would pick up something useable in his case.

My understanding is the Super Victor is more like a raw racing part, intended to be ported to work on the combination it’s going on. I’d love to see a bunch of tests on the dyno and especially on the track but that costs too much for most of us to do, not to mention the time involved.
In my specific case, any work done to open up the manifold intake ports would have caused an overlap condition (step) entering the head port. They aligned line-to-line almost like it was one long seamless runner. On each port no less! Yes, I was surprised but it was what it was so I didn't touch it. Like I said before, if this car wasn't so much fun in its current configuration, maybe I'd try the Air-Gap I have for it. Maybe one day I will and if I do, I'd of course post up the results in my thread I have for the car.

In my specific case, any work done to open up the manifold intake ports would have caused an overlap condition (step) entering the head port. They aligned line-to-line almost like it was one long seamless runner. On each port no less! Yes, I was surprised but it was what it was so I didn't touch it. Like I said before, if this car wasn't so much fun in its current configuration, maybe I'd try the Air-Gap I have for it. Maybe one day I will and if I do, I'd of course post up the results in my thread I have for the car.
I saw that in your detailed post. Got to love it when things line up the way they should.

My curiosity is mostly aimed at the plenum size and shape, and the runner size and length. An Air-Gap would be in a league of it's own.

As a side note, I just got my 5.9 Magnum running in October 2021. It was a used engine with issues that I went through and fixed up. I originally installed the Chinese copy Air-Gap that came with it. Before driving the car at all, I switched to an M1 single plane while fixing an oil leak. There was an immediate difference in throttle response where the dual plane Air-Gap style seemed snappier, but the single plane is still working nicely on the street. No track times to report on this one.

I've had very good luck with a gasket matched Air Gap on both my 416 and 360 currently have a Super Victor on the 360 but haven't run it down the track yet..

My LD340 testing really opened my eyes with the before and after flowbench testing and what its limitations were. And that’s a good intake.

My LD340 testing really opened my eyes with the before and after flowbench testing and what its limitations were. And that’s a good intake.
What did you find ?
Have you tested the Super Victor OOTB and ported ?

What did you find ?
Have you tested the Super Victor OOTB and ported ?

I tried to run a modified Indy intake on my 408 years ago but it was sucking oil so I grabbed a Super Victor off the shelf I bought from a friend. I bolted it on a set of heads I Had on my flowbench and the Super Victor sucked bigtime. I quickly and I mean quickly ported it and my very old 408 ran 9.74 with it. Different combo but same lift roller cam and same heads but more compression my car is capable of running 9.30’s with a ported Victor340. Not an apples to apples test but it shows what a Victor340 is capable of. He’s my LD340 testing.

Ld 340 flow bench test results

good friend has a tube chassis 72 black Cuda.
it currently has a Best machine big wedge in it. It’s been in the high 4’s in the 1/8 on motor in bracket trim
car weighs maybe 2400 ish with driver. Maybe a bit less
few years back he had an extremely well sorted out small block stroker with B1BA heads. Nicely done, healthy roller, Yada, Yada. Victor intake.
car ran 9.04-9.06 ish in the 1/4, very impressive I thought, even being light.
he was trying to get it into the 8’s, so swapped on a super Victor. I honestly don’t remember how it was prepped.
I do remember the quickest the car went was 9 teens. Think it went 9.17.
buddy campaigns that motor now in a 3100 pound bracket car( with Victor) runs 10.20’s in great air

I'd run whatever intake fits underneath a 8-71 blower

I have never ran the Super Victor so I can't comment on it. I do have a Victor 340 that I ran on my 408. The core shift on the ports was horrible and took quite a bit of time to get it port matched. With ported Edelbrocks and a 260/264 flat solid it ran 6.57 @ 104 and change on pump 93 in my 3260 pound street/strip Dart.

Do they do that on purpose? To leave material for porting since a typical buyer is going to port match at the very least.
I would assume that but only Victor knows for sure…

The intake that you can actually tune to your combo and driving or racing abilities. No two people or cars are the same. JMO

True. A bunch depends on his answers to my questions.
A 408 is large enough, depending on parts used of course, to use a single plane without low end loss against the RPM.

agree with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had a victor on a 406 sbc , and had no trouble with it anywhere , ran hi elevens in a 92 gmc pick up , and got 16 mpg ,"if I kept my foot out of it" on the hi way , drove it to work and back occasionally 27 mi. each way , and checked it multiple times ...

And I'd be willing to bet that 90% of that 50% are disappointed.

I hear you. I still have the one I quickly ported sitting on my shelf and I could have sold it again over the weekend. I’m just not sure I’m ready to part ways with it yet.

Hello, I’m changing up my 408 a bit and need an intake manifold. Probably 6-8 years ago the “go to” was the rpm air gap. This is a street/strip car, it’s a 408 with 10.5-1 compression, auto 3800 stall and a 3.91-4.10 gear. Looking for opinions on the best all around intake manifold before I just jump on another air gap.

PM sent

I’m betting no on that being probably well
Over 50% of guys install intakes on out of the box.
So what best all around intake does the OP need with what he has? (not what he should have or needs to change in order to run a specific intake) He’s mentioned possibly using a cam with 260° @.050” and higher lift:
street/strip car, it’s a 408 with 10.5-1 compression, auto 3800 stall and a 3.91-4.10
A) an OOTB Air Gap
B) an OOTB Victor 340
C) a ported Victor 340
D) Other OTTB Single (SV/Indy etc)
E) a ported Other Single

From what I’m reading here it’s between an OOTB AG and a ported Victor 340.

So what best all around intake does the OP need with what he has? (not what he should have or needs to change in order to run a specific intake) He’s mentioned possibly using a cam with 260° @.050” and higher lift:

A) an OOTB Air Gap
B) an OOTB Victor 340
C) a ported Victor 340
D) Other OTTB Single (SV/Indy etc)
E) a ported Other Single

From what I’m reading here it’s between an OOTB AG and a ported Victor 340.
Hello, I’m changing up my 408 a bit and need an intake manifold. Probably 6-8 years ago the “go to” was the rpm air gap. This is a street/strip car, it’s a 408 with 10.5-1 compression, auto 3800 stall and a 3.91-4.10 gear. Looking for opinions on the best all around intake manifold before I just jump on another air gap

I never played with an air gap but isn’t it a copy of an LD340? I jumped back to the beginning to see what heads he had on it and what he would like to accomplish which I didn’t find but with a gasket matched Air Gap it’s easily in the 11’s with what he has right??? If he’s happy in the 11’s just match things up and have fun. If he wants 10’s then changes are needed with the converter and probably heads. 11’s are damn fast and fun for lots of guys.

Almost same situation as a guy here who's just updated his 416 10:1cr, 40/60 street/strip brkt Demon 11.5's@116 from stock J heads, a comp 280H cam and 2x650Dp's (cos it looks cool...but did nothing) to TF190's 11.4:1cr, to a hyd. roller .624" with 1.6 r/rockers, 255@.050 I think and then he sticks his Air-Gap back on with an 850DP. 3.91's/28" slicks and the hughes 3800 stall he ran cos low down is more important to him he says. I told him you've got the 4" arm for that.

I told him to put the TR on it or a Victor intake and the 850dp for now and get a made 4500>5000 converter, you just cannot get the street mentality out of peoples heads, it'll go 10's no doubt but he's giving lots away.

Last edited:
Almost same situation as a guy here who's just updated his 416 10:1cr, 40/60 street/strip brkt Demon 11.5's@116 from stock J heads, a comp 280H cam and 2x650Dp's (cos it looks cool...but did nothing) to TF190's 11.4:1cr, to a hyd. roller .624" with 1.6 r/rockers, 255@.050 I think and then he sticks his Air-Gap back on with an 850DP. 3.91's/28" slicks and the hughes 3800 stall he ran cos low down is more important to him he says. I told him you've got the 4" arm for that.

I told him to put the TR on it or a Victor intake and the 850dp for now and get a made 4500>5000 converter, you just cannot get the street mentality out of peoples heads, it'll go 10's no doubt but he's giving lots away.
Your example sounds more to me like a “can’t assemble a good combination” mentality whether street, street/strip, or strip. Not even close to the same situation here for the OP.

Hello, I’m changing up my 408 a bit and need an intake manifold. Probably 6-8 years ago the “go to” was the rpm air gap. This is a street/strip car, it’s a 408 with 10.5-1 compression, auto 3800 stall and a 3.91-4.10 gear. Looking for opinions on the best all around intake manifold before I just jump on another air gap.
You have it the Performer RPM is the best intake.Period.If you have the room a 1" 4 hole tapered spacer.

I think it's the guys who have never run a 4" crank or have had a really bad mismatched 4" combo that think a single plane intake will not work on the street. If the OP was building a stock stroke 340 or 360 I'd say go with the Air Gap, although an X-CELerator with the gear he has wouldn't be a bad choice either.

-
Back