Best intake for a Thermoquad?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So I've got a warmed over 360 that I'm gonna put in my '77 D100, and I wanna run my TQ that I picked up awhile back.

The 360 is a .060" over '70 block with hyperutectic flat tops(9.8:1cr measured), fresh 587 J heads, and a Comp 276H cam with matching springs. It's essentially a slightly hotter than the EH1 360s that came in the LREs.

The TQ, is actually a remanufactured by Carter TQ off of a 360 E58 interceptor motor. It's still fresh in the box!

So what would be the best intake I could use, without an adapter, for a spread bore TQ? I'm thinking maybe the '71-'72 340 intake would be the best stock manifold. Any after market aluminum ones with the spread bore that would be better?

I loved my eldebrock ld340 and thermoquad and so did the 340 I think the 360 would to .

I like the Weiand Action Plus best.

Weiand Action + Plus #8007

A good general performance Dual-Plane High Rise.

925-8007.jpg

Action Plus (I have one and I like it) or the factory cast iron unit

Correcto Mundo,

Weiand Action + Plus #8007

* Conventional Dual-Plane Design
* High Rise Profile {5.41" Center-Height}
* Weight {22 lbs.}
* Excellent Runner Port Length {For Mid-Range Torque}
* Thermoquad Carburetor Mount Plate
* Port Dimensions {1.96" x 1.00"} {Nice Port Match for #3671587 'J' Cylinder Heads}
* Solid Power Band {Low RPM ~ Medium RPM ~ 6000 RPM's}

Yes, the Weiand Action Plus is what you want.
LD-340 needs to be modified, FYI.
Stock intakes are very good.
The Performer isn't any better than a stock unit.
The M1 single is way to much intake for your set up.

Make sure you use a thick gasket! The thin paper ones are not good to use.

Wrong gasket! The TQ gasket is different. That gasket is for a Holley spreadbore and it will not fit a TQ.

You do want to use a thick gasket for the TQ. They are hard to find though.

I was trying to show that you should have one with at least a center divider to keep the dual plane signal all the way to the carb.

I second the stock intake. Unless you're hell bent on aluminum the stock intakes hold their own when compared to aftermarkets.

Wrong gasket! The TQ gasket is different. That gasket is for a Holley spreadbore and it will not fit a TQ.

You do want to use a thick gasket for the TQ. They are hard to find though.

Good eye Rob. You can sure tell you're familiar with the base plate patterns. I will say this though.....Holley does make a gasket same as the TQ, because they made two TQ replacement carburetors that had to fit on the stock intake and use the same gasket. I know the double pumper number right off the top of my head, 6210. But I forget the vacuum secondary number even though I have one lol. ....but you knew that, because I've seen you talk about it before. Again, good eye. Most people wouldn't have caught the difference.

I second the stock intake. Unless you're hell bent on aluminum the stock intakes hold their own when compared to aftermarkets.

I agree. Even the TQ intakes with EGR provision flow very well.

Roger that Karl, I ment no harm, just a correction. Just in case.

Thanks Rob. I missed writing about it the first time around. Leed foot and yourself also realize that the OE intake is actually a pretty good intake. I love how the F.A.S.T. guys run 11's with the OE iron intake.

I know it. It's slap unbelievable how fast some of those guys run and with WHAT they do it with in that class.

LOL, yea, the "junk" people normally throw away! LMAO!
Granted, there restricted to looking stock, and that's where it ends. The Tom foolery and tricks are on from there.

"Slap unbelievable" is right! First time I seen them make 11 sec runs, I felt like I got slapped. Bam! Check me out! Amazing work, talent and skill go into those sick puppy engines.

Good eye Rob. You can sure tell you're familiar with the base plate patterns. I will say this though.....Holley does make a gasket same as the TQ, because they made two TQ replacement carburetors that had to fit on the stock intake and use the same gasket. I know the double pumper number right off the top of my head, 6210. But I forget the vacuum secondary number even though I have one lol. ....but you knew that, because I've seen you talk about it before. Again, good eye. Most people wouldn't have caught the difference.

I've run the Holley 6711 double pumper as it was the recommended replacement for my first car, a 71 340 Challenger.

What years was the 6210 supposed to replace.

We don't run too many Thermoquads here as the cold winters and hot and cold cycles tend to warp the main bodies or make them difficult to take apart without breaking the main body from prying them open. I know that some of you love them, but we've not had good luck with them ourselves here.

Roger that Karl, I ment no harm, just a correction. Just in case.

Thanks Rob. I missed writing about it the first time around. Leed foot and yourself also realize that the OE intake is actually a pretty good intake. I love how the F.A.S.T. guys run 11's with the OE iron intake.

That's ok. I'm not that familiar with Thermoquads. We need to get the proper info out there.

I like to keep the center divider in the gasket if I'm running a dual plane intake to keep the stronger signal all the way to the carb.

No doubt! It's the way to go.

A lot of TQ's here so suffer from that issue. Though Long Island is a little more temperate than the middle of the country, the carbs still suffer.

The only. Holley Spreadbore I ran was the short lives 4010/4011 carb. Not a bad carb, not a great carb. Worked well for a replacement unit.

That's ok. I'm not that familiar with Thermoquads. We need to get the proper info out there.

I like to keep the center divider in the gasket if I'm running a dual plane intake to keep the stronger signal all the way to the carb.

Correcto Mundo,

The Carter Thermoquad works best with the proper 'insulator base-mount gasket'.

Part # Q1726B

* 4-Hole
* .150" Thickness

[URL="http://quadrajetparts.com/product_thumb.php?img=images/products/carter-thermoquad-parts/thermoquad-gaskets/thermoquad-base-gaskets/Q1726B-ws.jpg&w=87&h=100"][/URL]

-
Back