Best Kept Secret in the Big Block Mopar World

-

slimjim

Reaction score
A month or so ago I was speaking with another Mopar enthusiast when the topic of big block affordability came up. We laughed at some of the prices people were asking for cracked 426 hemi blocks and 440 “HP” magnum blocks. When I brought up a cheaper alternative that would rival those he was completely in the dark. I just happened to have one so, I filmed a quick video talking about why the block is so strong, where you can find them, and how to actually identify the correct one.

That was probably me. Just had a TikTok blow up about it. Gotta love people talking trash about 2 bolt mains haha
Yeah, just like a cast crank, it will never live that way....made 375 hp and 417 TQ in a 2.5 4 cylinder with 2 bolt mains and a cast crank.

By the way, love the 400 too.

Cliff Ramsdell

Prices for them can be absolutely stupid. Then ask the sell if they have had their $1800 block sonic checked.
If they’re advertising it as a cold weather block it’ll probably be pricey. Of course, machine work is expensive nowadays too. I’ve got 1500 into mine after all the machine work and testing. I could probably sell some of the stock stuff to recoup funds. The junkyards and fields still have them cheap though.

The secret is out now for these engines. Always liked the 400 Chrysler big block. You used to be able to get them DIRT cheap. No longer!

LOL.. For years, even down under here in Australia, people have been sourcing the 400 B blocks for strokers etc...
I think calling it a secret is a little optimistic.
But hey, you got your mug on the wwwintertube right?

This toy was sold in 1974 (I had one).

Note the CID callout sticker on the hood.

upload_2022-7-31_9-54-48.jpeg

upload_2022-7-31_9-55-48.jpeg

That "secret" has been out a few decades or so.
I need an affordable big block for 64 Savoy build. Any. If the running 383 does not materalize, I have a bud close by, with a complete 400. That will get the nod. Only affordable 440 core I have found is a stuck RV engine 6 hours away, one way! Probably NOT!
Seems like the last number of years, all you hear is BIG 440 builds. A 400 will work for me and it darn sure does not need stroked! But I'm no racer.

I first heard about in the early 90s when Mopar Action Rick Ehrenberg wrote about the 451 stroker engine. It was an inspirational article to a 20 yo punk like me lol. IMHO MA brought it to the mainstream of the hardcore Mopar maniacs.

The whole thing is most like likely based on the old DC tech papers that morphed into the Engine book.

another under 30 young gun that knows far more than anybody that came before him. that secret is older than he is

I had some friends in the late 80's that were building 400's with 440 cranks.
Not sure what rods or pistons they were using but these guys were bargain experts.
They must have found something cheap that worked.

I believe they were 444 CID.

It is simply a thinker block, it has a certain cast number, I forget what. Hard to find and IF the seller knows what he has, it can bring more $$$. Not gold plated though. Building a bigger more inch 440 is probably more "in" today.

another under 30 young gun that knows far more than anybody that came before him. that secret is older than he is
Don't be rude. He didn't seem to be disparaging any of the old timers. I see his "discovery" akin to a little kid telling a joke that we have all heard before.

And then there's..........(found on Moparts)

Why does everyone think the 230 400 block is the ONLY 400 block worth building
shruggy.gif

Just venting a LOT.... I had to go through 3 -400 blocks to find one that did not need a cylinder or 2 sleeved due to core shift for the 470ci I'm building. Guess what, 2 of the blocks were "230" blocks
whistling.gif
Both had horrific core shift.. the 830- 74 block I'm building has very consistent cylinders walls averaging .190 -.220 on the major and minor thrust sides
boogie.gif

How could this be? It's not the world famous holy grail of all Mopar blocks! The """"230"""" Block

...........And from "B bodies Only"

Also look at the reinforcement on the walls below the casting numbers. Earlier 383 and 440 blocks don't have that.
Not all 230 block are the thick ones. Around the end of Nov 71 they came thinner. I'm thinking 11-21-71 was the change date. This one is a late casting.

And then there's..........(found on Moparts)

Why does everyone think the 230 400 block is the ONLY 400 block worth building View attachment 1715963621

Just venting a LOT.... I had to go through 3 -400 blocks to find one that did not need a cylinder or 2 sleeved due to core shift for the 470ci I'm building. Guess what, 2 of the blocks were "230" blocks View attachment 1715963622 Both had horrific core shift.. the 830- 74 block I'm building has very consistent cylinders walls averaging .190 -.220 on the major and minor thrust sides View attachment 1715963623

How could this be? It's not the world famous holy grail of all Mopar blocks! The """"230"""" Block
I have a 400 block that u can visually see by eye the cam tunnel is nowhere close to being in the right place. I guess it was fine for a grocery getter but I won’t be using it. Kim

-
Back