Best place for line loc switch?

-

kanders

Reaction score
I've never owned a car with a line loc. My Duster has one installed but not wired to a switch. I have a 4 gear with a pistol grip, where's the best place to mount a switch?

well does you pistol grip handle have a button on the top? Im assuming it doesnt, so i would say you have a few options....first, you could get a shift knob that does have a button and wire it up to that...you could get something like the hurst line lock kit which comes with a button that you attach to the shifter stick itself in a comfortable spot and trigger it on/off with whichever finger feels most comfortable (my buddy has one like this on his mustang 5 speed and hes fine with it)...or you could buy the linelock seperately, buy a switch (one of the ones with almost a phone cord looking cord on it) and mount it on your steering wheel if it is a steering wheel with holes in the spokes? just a thought

personally though i would buy the hurst line lock or any of the other ones for that matter...I bought the summit line lock without a button and install kit (all it is is brake line) and the actual line lock itself looks like its made by hurst (the summit brand stuff is usually made by another company but branded under their name)....you can get one from summit with a button and i think its still cheaper than the hurst one, or you can just buy the LL like i did and get your own button seperatly to save even more...hope my rant helps

well does you pistol grip handle have a button on the top? Im assuming it doesnt, so i would say you have a few options....first, you could get a shift knob that does have a button and wire it up to that...you could get something like the hurst line lock kit which comes with a button that you attach to the shifter stick itself in a comfortable spot and trigger it on/off with whichever finger feels most comfortable (my buddy has one like this on his mustang 5 speed and hes fine with it)...or you could buy the linelock seperately, buy a switch (one of the ones with almost a phone cord looking cord on it) and mount it on your steering wheel if it is a steering wheel with holes in the spokes? just a thought

personally though i would buy the hurst line lock or any of the other ones for that matter...I bought the summit line lock without a button and install kit (all it is is brake line) and the actual line lock itself looks like its made by hurst (the summit brand stuff is usually made by another company but branded under their name)....you can get one from summit with a button and i think its still cheaper than the hurst one, or you can just buy the LL like i did and get your own button seperatly to save even more...hope my rant helps

mshred, since the system is already mounted minus the switch is all I need is the switch and a place to mount which is easy to use. I've heard of somebody using the horn button but mine will be driven on the street as well.
Do most people mount it on the shifter or is there somewhere better? Maybe 2 switches in parallel, one on the clutch pedal so the driveline could be loaded and then the clutch released higher to open the switch and release it.
Kinda automatic???? Kev

I have a pistol grip with line-loc,I taped the button just under the handle.(easy access,doing second gear burnout)when not racing I untape it and hide under the dash.

I'll use the line lock to hold the car at the line. I like to keep my hand on the shifter becasue first gear doesn't last very long. That means I have one hand on the wheel, one hand on the shifter. The button needs to be in one of those two places. I have the T handle with built-in button.

If you just want it for screwing around (nothing wrong wioth that), then location is less important.

mshred, since the system is already mounted minus the switch is all I need is the switch and a place to mount which is easy to use. I've heard of somebody using the horn button but mine will be driven on the street as well.
Do most people mount it on the shifter or is there somewhere better? Maybe 2 switches in parallel, one on the clutch pedal so the driveline could be loaded and then the clutch released higher to open the switch and release it.
Kinda automatic???? Kev

Hurst sells the switch separately.

The shifter is the most common place because you have more control since your hand is always on the shifter when doing your burnout and staging.

Two switches will not work because once the switch has been released even for a split second the brakes are released.

if you already have the line lock then simplest thing really would be to put it on the steering wheel or get a shift knob with a button on it...you need to consider what you are going to use it for too- are you going to use it just for burnouts or as a roll control at the line as well? If your going to use it as a roll control at the line, you need to decide where your going to have better cordination to press the button and dump the clutch at the same time- on the left hand at the wheel or on the knob with your right hand.

me personally am going to have a T handle with the button wired up to my line lock and 2 step as i think the button is out of the way enough so that you wont hit it by accident but convenient enough to press it on and off without being a chore

I will only be using it for drag racing and maybe I'm overthinking this a little too much but for doing burnouts it wouldn't be a big deal but to try and save my driveline on launches I would like to have some preload. I'm just thinking that with watching everything going on plus rookie prestaging jitters etc. that there's enough going without also have to swith of the line loc at precisely the correct time as well. I'm going to give this 2 switch system some thought, maybe I can come up with something.

well even if your putting in the line lock, if i was you learn how to burnout and launch without it...thats the best way in my opinion...then once you have that stuff down pretty good, arent too nervous, and have made a few passes to get your feel for everything, move on to using the line lock...it really shouldnt be that big of a deal once you get comfortable and have enough seat time at the track...dont sweat it man, everyone was there once...do what is comfortable for you, but im pretty sure that youd be more than capable of hitting off the button when you launch

If you have a 4 speed you don't realy need a line lock at the tack. I found that if I go in to the bleach box and stop. Then I just rev her up and dump the clutch she stays right there. When it is time to come out I just ease out of the gas.

On the street it would be nice to have a line lock so I could do the cool guy burn out. She just wont stay put.

If you have a 4 speed you don't realy need a line lock at the tack. I found that if I go in to the bleach box and stop. Then I just rev her up and dump the clutch she stays right there. When it is time to come out I just ease out of the gas.

On the street it would be nice to have a line lock so I could do the cool guy burn out. She just wont stay put.

Burntorange, I guess you don't load the drivetrain a little before you launch. Do you feel there is a benefit to it or not. How reliable has your driveline been? Kev

well even if your putting in the line lock, if i was you learn how to burnout and launch without it...thats the best way in my opinion...then once you have that stuff down pretty good, arent too nervous, and have made a few passes to get your feel for everything, move on to using the line lock...it really shouldnt be that big of a deal once you get comfortable and have enough seat time at the track...dont sweat it man, everyone was there once...do what is comfortable for you, but im pretty sure that youd be more than capable of hitting off the button when you launch

Mshred
Thanks for the confidence builder. I guess I'd just like to have all my ducks in a row with all the info I can because I have so little time to finish the car before Oct 03 (the date that drag race season stops and sled season starts) and hope to have a good enough first experience with the Duster at the track to keep a smile on my face till spring. BTW what is the last race day at your local track? Kev

Hey Burntorange, what gear do you do your burnout in? Thx Kevin

1st but I just do a quick little burnout. I would go to 2nd if I was going to do a long one.

Where do you race at now that LACR is closed up?

Burntorange, I guess you don't load the drivetrain a little before you launch. Do you feel there is a benefit to it or not. How reliable has your driveline been? Kev

I have never hered of that before. All I do is let the clutch out till I feel the clutch just startng to engage. I have not broken any thing yet but I take it ez on her.

1st but I just do a quick little burnout. I would go to 2nd if I was going to do a long one.

Where do you race at now that LACR is closed up?

I have never hered of that before. All I do is let the clutch out till I feel the clutch just startng to engage. I have not broken any thing yet but I take it ez on her.

Thats what I mean when I say load the driveline. So you hold the brake, release the clutch a little to tighten things up then let go of the brake and stomp the gas, or do you heel and toe the brake and gas to keep the revs up before the launch?

Thats what I mean when I say load the driveline. So you hold the brake, release the clutch a little to tighten things up then let go of the brake and stomp the gas, or do you heel and toe the brake and gas to keep the revs up before the launch?

I tryed the heal toe thing one time. All I did was smoke the clutch. I do not recomend doing that unless you want to fry you clutch. LOL

Never tryed the brake to clutch thing. I just let the clutch ingages as much as posible with out rolling forwered then with the right foot on the gas keep it at my lanch RPM. Then ease on to the gas and let off of the clutch. It is kind of tricky to do on street tiers with out smoking them.

I am no pro though so I am just going off of what I have tryed. If I ever get into it more I may get a line lock. I like the horn butten idea and that would work for me as I do not have a horn. Mabby some one with a little more expereance will chime in.

Have fun.

Mshred
Thanks for the confidence builder. I guess I'd just like to have all my ducks in a row with all the info I can because I have so little time to finish the car before Oct 03 (the date that drag race season stops and sled season starts) and hope to have a good enough first experience with the Duster at the track to keep a smile on my face till spring. BTW what is the last race day at your local track? Kev

I know what you mean, im trying to get mine done and atleast take her for a spin before it becomes winter here...like i said, install the line lock where you think it will be comfy where you need it, learn without it, then use it...in my opinion, a line lock and a 2 step is almost mandatory if you want to be competitive in a stick car...the line lock allows you to hold the car steady at the line with your foot on the clutch and other foot on the gas to bring up the revs...the two step allows you sit on the launch limiter with the gas, and then gives you a rev limiter while shifting through the gears in case you miss a gear and really overrev...Im not sure when the last race day at my local track is, but im not too concerned about getting there this season..im just trying to take my time and put the car together the right way and plan everything out so i dont have to do it twice, even if it means i dont drive it this year (but i really hope i do)..

also check this link out....its a question i asked on something similar...its a really good forum for info on stick shift race cars, so browse through it if you can...alot of your questions will be answered there if your new to stick shift drag racing
http://www.umtrnorth.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2133

good luck!

I am not understanding what you two are talking about. Why would you need a line lock off the line? The car is not going any where untill you let off of the clutch. So you don't need it there.

I don't under stand what you mean by preloading ether. Lets say you lanch at 3000 RPM. You realy don't want to have the clutch out much as it will be tuching making a bunch of friction that is putting heat in to your clutch and you don't want that eather.

I am not understanding what you two are talking about. Why would you need a line lock off the line? The car is not going any where untill you let off of the clutch. So you don't need it there.

I don't under stand what you mean by preloading ether. Lets say you lanch at 3000 RPM. You realy don't want to have the clutch out much as it will be tuching making a bunch of friction that is putting heat in to your clutch and you don't want that eather.

not sure about the preloading thing either...in regards to the launch, you probably dont "need" a line lock, but it is definatly good to have...its good to have the security that the car will not roll forwards or backwards at all, even if the track surface is flat....i dont think i understand what you are saying- you are in first gear bringing up the rpms, yet somehow without having your foot on the brake as well you are not moving?

not sure about the preloading thing either...in regards to the launch, you probably dont "need" a line lock, but it is definatly good to have...its good to have the security that the car will not roll forwards or backwards at all, even if the track surface is flat....i dont think i understand what you are saying- you are in first gear bringing up the rpms, yet somehow without having your foot on the brake as well you are not moving?

If you are sitting at the line and you are using a line lock, it is like having a third foot you can let the clutch out just slightly while you are holding the RPM's up so the car has forward motion started so when you drop the hammer your reaction time will have a huge improvement as well as gaining a 100th or 2 on your overall ET Not to mention a lot less chance of braking something.

If you are sitting at the line and you are using a line lock, it is like having a third foot you can let the clutch out just slightly while you are holding the RPM's up so the car has forward motion started so when you drop the hammer your reaction time will have a huge improvement as well as gaining a 100th or 2 on your overall ET Not to mention a lot less chance of braking something.

I realize that, but what im trying to understand is how burnt does it without the linelock and the car doesnt move at all

I realize that, but what im trying to understand is how burnt does it without the linelock and the car doesnt move at all

Tracks are generaly flat with little or no grade. I have never had a problem with the car wanting to roll forward or back. Thanks for the explination blownfish. That makes sence now.

Tracks are generaly flat with little or no grade. I have never had a problem with the car wanting to roll forward or back. Thanks for the explination blownfish. That makes sence now.

yes i know, but if you have the car in the gear with your foot on the clutch and other foot on the gas bringing up the rpms and no foot on the brake, the car wont roll?

yes i know, but if you have the car in the gear with your foot on the clutch and other foot on the gas bringing up the rpms and no foot on the brake, the car wont roll?

No it wont roll untill you let the clutch out. Having the clutch in is just like being in neutral.

-
Back