Best place to buy manual box

-

dstemmerman

1972 Dart Swinger Denver
Reaction score
I am converting from power to manual steering this winter. Besides the expensive options like PST and Flaming River, where is the best place to buy a manual box? eBay has them for $160ish, but they may be junk.

The cheapest thing would be to buy the one from Hops and rebuild it yourself with the good stuff inside.

PST is your best bet. Anything already rebuilt professionally will cost that much or more, look at what Firm Feel and Steer and Gear charge to rebuild an original box.

Anything that costs less will likely either be an unrebuilt original that you take the chance on needing a rebuild, or a eBay piece of questionable quality.

And if you buy an original box and then rebuild it, including the replacement of the worm and ball, then you’ll have spent at least as much as a new one from PST, if not more.

PST is your best bet. Anything already rebuilt professionally will cost that much or more, look at what Firm Feel and Steer and Gear charge to rebuild an original box.

Anything that costs less will likely either be an unrebuilt original that you take the chance on needing a rebuild, or a eBay piece of questionable quality.

And if you buy an original box and then rebuild it, including the replacement of the worm and ball, then you’ll have spent at least as much as a new one from PST, if not more.
Thank you very much!

With the members discount the 16:1 is $269 and the 24:1 is $359 with free shipping with the US 48 states.

Thanks
James

With the members discount the 16:1 is $269 and the 24:1 is $359 with free shipping with the US 48 states.

Thanks
James
Much appreciated James. Looking in to that now. Just if the coupler wasn't $150.

At this time we only offer the 24:1 or the 16:1. I am working on trying to offer the 20:1 but not within the near future.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

Hey James ! Was just talking to your people this am about a manual box for my 69 Swinger , they sound great! What's the diference in regular driving between the 24:1 and the 16:1.......I know the 16:1 will be quicker but which would be the best for regular driving ? Thanks

Hey James ! Was just talking to your people this am about a manual box for my 69 Swinger , they sound great! What's the diference in regular driving between the 24:1 and the 16:1.......I know the 16:1 will be quicker but which would be the best for regular driving ? Thanks

That really depends on your preference. The 24:1 box is about 5 1/2 turns lock to lock, the 16:1 is about 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. Needless to say, the 16:1 box has much faster and responsive steering. It also has a much heavier feel, because you give up a lot gear ratio advantage. Most people find that the 24:1 box is a little sluggish, but the 16:1 box can be a handful to turn at lower speeds. So things like parallel parking can get labor intensive.

It depends on what kind of driving you do with your car, what you run for tires and alignment specs, and how much effort you want to put into steering. I love the 16:1 in my car, but will readily admit its not the easiest thing to deal with once you drop below 10-15 mph.

I Have the PST 16-1 heavy yes but I don't mind it very stable when your on it or cruising and love the direct feel and response but parking can be challenging .

Hmmmmm, ok, the one I was looking at was the MSBOX8831 , so that number has a choice of 24 or 16? The box in my car now is shot, has been cranked down too much I guess, so it's a REAL bear to drive so I'm guessing the 16 can't be worse than that! By "sluggish" on the 24, how's that compared to the stock boxes on that car "in the day"?I know the original Swinger I had new was fine to drive , and I think they were 20:1? I do like a more positive "feel" when I drive. I have 215/70 tires on the front. I understand we can get a discount for being a member here!?

Hmmmmm, ok, the one I was looking at was the MSBOX8831 , so that number has a choice of 24 or 16? The box in my car now is shot, has been cranked down too much I guess, so it's a REAL bear to drive so I'm guessing the 16 can't be worse than that! By "sluggish" on the 24, how's that compared to the stock boxes on that car "in the day"?I know the original Swinger I had new was fine to drive , and I think they were 20:1? I do like a more positive "feel" when I drive. I have 215/70 tires on the front. I understand we can get a discount for being a member here!?

Stock manual boxes were 24:1 on most cars. 16:1 was offered on some of the early performance cars. The 20:1 manual boxes didn’t come out until afterwards as an upgraded rebuild set up.

Last edited:
-
Back