Best solution to soak metal parts in.

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Any ideas on what solution to soak parts in to remove rust and old grime? I was thinking a tub of Diesel fuel..

Thanks

vinegar works too. just prime after taking it out and drying the parts

In my rebuilding of lots of brake and suspension parts, i use Superclean, to get the parts squeaky clean, then use a 5 gallon pail of Evaporust that i buy, to get rid of the rust.
Those are very good products.
My 2 cents to answer your question.

In my rebuilding of lots of brake and suspension parts, i use Superclean, to get the parts squeaky clean, then use a 5 gallon pail of Evaporust that i buy, to get rid of the rust.
Those are very good products.
My 2 cents to answer your question.

X2
Hemi71x recommended these to me last year and they worked great.

FYI
One last thing.
When using Superclean, wear a decent pair of rubber gloves, if your cleaning off the parts, with a parts cleaning brush.
Your skin will appreciate it.

n
Where can you buy "Super clean"?
I don't know about about Canada stores, but down here in the lower 48, just about any parts store.
Pep Boys, Auto Zone, O'Reilys, Car Quest, Lowes, Home Depot.

super clean.jpg

Evaporust is what I've used on my project and have been very impressed, won't harm your skin or anything else it seems but melts the rust away.

I have used evaporust. Works well. For really rusted parts like brackets, a arms, ... I have used muriatic acid in the past. Nasty stuff but eats the rust away.

Clean the oil and grease off first regardless of rust removal process you use.

Make sure you neutralize that Muriatic acid when done or it never stops working.

Jeff

Clean with purple stuff or whatever. Soak in EVAPORUST time depending on the part and original coating.

Must watch depending on the original coating/finish.

I loved Evaporust during my resto. 5 gallon bucket from Northern tools got the whole car and still have 3 gallons in the bucket!

What about molassas? I never used it , but that was the rave a while ago. Cheap too.

-
Back