Best source for automotive wire

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
Doing a lot of wiring on my sons car but to be honest it's crap. Once I get it all figured out electrically, I plan on "doing it right" with proper GXL rated wire and the right gauges etc. I know I can buy stuff, like what crackedback sells, but part of this is an exercise in learing to build harnesses etc. I'll do it with a harness board etc just like the grown ups do.

Going to make a relay/distribution panel to cover

fuel pump
headlights
Turn signals
ejector seat

Basically trying to keep the high current stuff from passing through the firewall.

Who has a good source for this stuff and what colors should I focus on..

Off the top I'm thinking....

color gauge(s)
---------
red 10,12,16
black 10,12,16
brown 16
black/white 16
tan 16
white 16

Summit automotive wire is pretty tough. I think it was Painless performance wire, comes in 8 colors.

Doing a lot of wiring on my sons car but to be honest it's crap. Once I get it all figured out electrically, I plan on "doing it right" with proper GXL rated wire and the right gauges etc. I know I can buy stuff, like what crackedback sells, but part of this is an exercise in learing to build harnesses etc. I'll do it with a harness board etc just like the grown ups do.

Going to make a relay/distribution panel to cover

fuel pump
headlights
Turn signals
ejector seat

Basically trying to keep the high current stuff from passing through the firewall.

Who has a good source for this stuff and what colors should I focus on..

Off the top I'm thinking....

color gauge(s)
---------
red 10,12,16
black 10,12,16
brown 16
black/white 16
tan 16
white 16

I would go with Grainger. High quality, everything you need and a reputable dealer.

https://www.grainger.com/category/electrical/wire-cable/automotive-wire-battery-cable?analytics=nav

Click on primary automotive wire and a complete list appears.

I have a place... about 80 feet from my shop door...
hangarcleanupsept282020 014.JPG

LOL, seriously if anyone is running EFI and needs shielded wire, pending what gauge you need I have 10000's of feet of single, double and some triple and quad MIL spec silver tinned copper wire encased in a shielded outer cover.

Following, in the midst of redoing our 67 rally dash harness. When I could I stepped up a size in wire and adding in the Mad Bypass. Tedious but enjoying it. Hard to find colors with tracers that are cost efficient.
I would add some 14 ga to your list.
Good luck

Cool, sucks cuz you need both sizes(and more) and you still havent covered the colors with tracers. Or the factory terminal ends. I must have $200 in wires and ends. Heres my mess currently.
If you decide to get a kit above, I may be interested in buying some length of wire?
A little more (as expected) , but yes..

14GXL11X25F-11 Pack of 14 Gage GXL Wire
20201230_133344.jpg

20201230_133838.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, sucks cuz you need both sizes(and more) and you still havent covered the colors with tracers. Or the factory terminal ends. I must have $200 in wires and ends. Heres my mess currently.
If you decide to get a kit above, I may be interested in buying some length of wire?
View attachment 1715659947 View attachment 1715659947

View attachment 1715659949

Agreed, but I'm not planning on doing the entire thing, just headlights, signals, fuel pump, I think that's it. There's only a couple of tracers right? black/wht, what else?

View attachment 1715659947 View attachment 1715659947

View attachment 1715659949

Also, you raise a great point. Is there a good reference that shows what gauge is for what wire, or are you just measuring each?

I'm using a factory schematic I printed off and laminated. 2 sided.
Have to look at individual circuits to get proper wire sizes.
What are you wiring? I can probably laminate and send to you?
Also, you raise a great point. Is there a good reference that shows what gauge is for what wire, or are you just measuring each?

20201230_135539.jpg

20201230_135610.jpg

Nope that is a 67 fsm. BUT it didnt come out in 67 Plymouth FSM. It came out later as a supplement. They forgot to put it in the manual....:BangHead:.
I finally have correct version.

Huh, probably pretty similar to the 65 in at least a general sense. Still, that looks way different than the ones at mymopar.... huh. Are the Canadian ones different?

We had downloaded what we thought were FSM from mymopar.com, BUT they were "aftermarket ". I believe the ones we thought were fsm were from a MOTORS manual. Post a pic of your schematic(s). 65 wiring is different by the way.
Huh, probably pretty similar to the 65 in at least a general sense. Still, that looks way different than the ones at mymopar.... huh. Are the Canadian ones different?

We had downloaded what we thought were FSM from mymopar.com, BUT they were "aftermarket ". I believe the ones we thought were fsm were from a MOTORS manual. Post a pic of your schematic(s). 65 wiring is different by the way.

My schematic is the one from MM. I don't have an FSM. I'll have to look at the FSM down from MM and see if the schematic is in there.

My schematic is the one from MM. I don't have an FSM. I'll have to look at the FSM down from MM and see if the schematic is in there.

Wait, never mind, you JUST said, they're not the ones I'm looking for. Doh!

This ones NOT factory. I got it from mymopar.com I believe it's a MOTORS Manual. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I want Factory.

Wait, never mind, you JUST said, they're not the ones I'm looking for. Doh!

65ValiantBarracudaA.jpg

-
Back