• Total voters
-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
image_13440.jpg
50959a.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Get one of these with some 24grit belts. You'll wonder why you ever drilled a spot weld in the past... obviously this is for replacement panels only. I have only drilled spot welds for parts I was using again.. (used quarter) for example. Before these came out I just used a thick 3m cut off wheel to grind the spot off... I believe it was #01990.

3M File Belt Sander 28366 File Belt Sander, 1 Per Case, 22000 RPM

We like the HF spring loaded type, the double sided cutter is good and works well, and you will rarely break the cutter, unless you get it in a very serious bind. The only thing I don't really like is the hex size, which is 7mm, but we have a few custom made extensions, for getting down in the hard to reach areas. When the center pin point get's dull, we just take it to the 400 grit sanding wheel and polish down to a very sharp point. If the center pin get's to short, Blair center pin's are the same diameter, and fit the shank perfectly. We did use Blair cutter's for many year's, but they kept making their double-sided cutter's, cheaper, and when you would get in a small bind (cutter's not heat treated properly) they would break. We like the Blair Rotabroach 3/8" cutter's, but they seem to be very pricey, like 30.00 for a pack of 3, and we do use them occasionally, and I will say, we have never broke one! I do kind of like the picture of the Dewalt drill set pictured, did not even know they made them, but may try'em sometime, and see how they work. We have spot drilled 100s of panels over the many years of buying part's car's, and building them also. Everybody here have a great day!!

I have had decent results with the HF units with the only down side being grinding the center down after the panel is gone. I have also used a plasma cutter. The Dewalt bits and the Snap-on / Spot Eze, both of which work pretty well but tend to go through both pieces too easily. I'm getting ready to do lower quarters on the 75 Dart Sport and will probably use a combination of the HF and a 3" whiz cutter depending on how recessed the spot welds are...

At work we use a Rotabroach by Blair.

51NVYDkeFTL.jpg

Not cheap, but they are good quality.

If I have to, I will use the blair tool. If you buy them from the right dealer, he will warranty them.
My elbows, shoulders are too old for that kind of abuse. The cut of wheels are cheep and don't get dull.
I can sharpen the bits for my dent-fix annihilater. Next choice is the Blair tool. Use cutting tool oil.

I have used the Blair cutters before. They are a slow PITA but they work.

spot ez works also. Pre drill with an eight inch bit. It keeps you from slamming your spotweld cutter into the panel. Go slow and let the tool do the work. Use cutting tool oil. I have learned to sharpen them also.

If you have sheet metal to a frame rail, a good old fashioned pneumatic chisel is the fastest. Spot welds sheet metal to sheet metal, need to drill it out.

If you have sheet metal to a frame rail, a good old fashioned pneumatic chisel is the fastest. Spot welds sheet metal to sheet metal, need to drill it out.
Good point rklein. I like the CP zipgun. Model 717. The one with the long barrel. They hit hard but are slow. They are good for spotwelds but not great for zipping off long cuts on sheet metal.

Last edited:
I was hoping to see some cool tools I hadn't encountered and you guys haven't disappointed!

I use a cutting wheel on a dye grinder or a step drill bit depending on application.

At work we use a Rotabroach by Blair.

51NVYDkeFTL.jpg

Not cheap, but they are good quality.

Rotabroach are used in the mining facilities almost exclusively up here in the northland. Heavy industrial use, exceptional quality. I also bought them and used them to remove my floor pans and many other spot welds. Haven't had to sharpen them at all. It takes very little effort to cut out the spot weld, and only about 30 seconds each. One of the better products I've used.

-
Back