Best street/strip tires?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I'm in need of all new rubber and have realised that I cant afford the tires I'm running. I need/want DOT rubber but I'm not apposed to non DOT.

my Hoosier 295X65X15 DOT drag radials lasted about three months. At 250 each that's just not in my budget. Granted I'm running a spool but dont drive much. Maybe 50 miles a week?

I want traction but I cant be spending 1,000 bucks every three months.

My fronts are 270X45X15 Hoosiers and they are also just about done..

So what's a good tire that will hook on the street and not wear out in three months?

good luck finding a soft compound tire that going to last more than 90 days with the abuse you put to them.
FWIW I run Micky T's ET street, they do pretty good compared to the M+H sreetmaster I ran in the early 80's.

I literally did 2 burnouts on the rears. Not even big smoky ones. Just enough to set the line lock and distribution block.

I ran McCreary tires for awhile....I thought they were a bit cheaper. Actually I remember A LOT cheaper. I thought they did dirt track stuff, but I thought they were under a C note per. I cant seem to find them right now but you might..

Im still getting 270s on the front figured....sorry if Im a bit slow....autocross? and are you going through those every 3 months too?

I'm running the Nitto 555 drag radial and so far I love them. Hooks very well on the street and requires little to no burnout at the track. Ran them all summer and about 6 passes at the track and can't see any noticeable wear.

My M/T ET Street Radials have held up fine. Probably 60 or so 1/8 mile passes, several big harry burnouts on the street and 1000-1500 miles.

I run some local heads up street car shoot outs and will be buying a pair of bias plys for that as the track prep is non existent and my radials dont work well on poor surfaces.

My son just put some drag radials on his S/B Cuda and said they don't hook worth a crap. He cant remember what kind they are , supposed to let me know tomorrow.

have the same problem, my M/T 295 65 15`s wont hold crap , unless I leave it in drive and it goes thru the gears, then it starts hooking up.
I am supposed to have them sold this Friday, also going to sell the almost new M/T 275 65 15`s that I have too.
Im looking at hoosiers w/ treads, getting where I don't want extra tires and wheels setting around for a one time a year (mopar meet) use.
I had a couple of diff pair hoosiers before, and thot they bit better than anything I have ever tried , short of 16x32 slicks.
Don't even try M/H anything, they wont hold any big h.p.
Let us know what u try -----------

MT sportsman pros.

Work great at the strip and on the street. I've gotten multiple seasons out of them.

60391970-DSC07017.jpg

3 months...ouch! The Hooser drag radials (275/60R15) that I have been using lasted about 3 years...mostly racing (150+ passes) and driven every weekend on the street during the summer....granted, I've been told that I drive like a grandma on the street, lol.

edit: I also have a spool.

I had a set of mt et street ss tires... Lasted 3 months and about 30-40 passes about 1000 miles or so total. Also with a spool..

Currently I have et street r tires. But they're relatively new and don't have but 2 or 3 passes and few street miles.

Thanks for this........I was just about to post the same question.
I have ET Streets ......295X55-15 and with SS springs I did some monster burn outs , but never got a hint of hook.
I changed over to CalTracs and adjustable shocks.
It has an AlterKtion on the front and I know that it will not be a real benefit........I can probably pull 4" of extension out of it , and that will have to do.
I picked up some used rims , planning on having a set for track and a set for street , but I'd like to find a one size fits all.
I have heard good things about the ET Pro's , so I am leaning that direction so far.

Thanks for this........I was just about to post the same question.
I have ET Streets ......295X55-15 and with SS springs I did some monster burn outs , but never got a hint of hook.
I changed over to CalTracs and adjustable shocks.
It has an AlterKtion on the front and I know that it will not be a real benefit........I can probably pull 4" of extension out of it , and that will have to do.
I picked up some used rims , planning on having a set for track and a set for street , but I'd like to find a one size fits all.
I have heard good things about the ET Pro's , so I am leaning that direction so far.
I run Hoosiers at the track and have a spare set of rims and tires for street. Spooled as well. I will look at them tomorrow and see what they are. But I have had them on for almost two summers (streets) not the Hoosiers. You would think a guy could remember what kind of tires he has on his rig.

The fronts arnt near as bad as the rear but I can already see them wearing.

Thanks for all the replys

Lol! Back in my “street” days we’d buy Hoosier Dirt Bozz tires at the swap meets. DOT street stock tires. They wouldn’t last, but they were cheap, and would damn near hook on gravel!

I was talking to my buddy who runs an 9 second small tire Camaro, he said they run rear tires for day. He said I can swing by his shop and look at there old tires. He'll sell me a pair for 100 bucks. This may be my solution.

What do you run on the front?
I'm thinking of changing to an actual DOT front with tread. The Hoosier race front is to soft on the street, probably unsafe on the street and not worth the risk for the little advantage it offers.

I'm thinking of changing to an actual DOT front with tread. The Hoosier race front is to soft on the street, probably unsafe on the street and not worth the risk for the little advantage it offers.

MT Sportsman fronts (26x7.50)

10247442_10204960777208567_5789213035223384309_n.jpg

I wont run front drag tires on the street for any reason.
I do run Hankook 205 70 r15 on prostars on the front, wish I had gone 215`s .

-
Back