Best way to clean and store 8 3/4?

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Best way to clean everything up?

My plan is to sell the axles, brakes and housing so I figured I would just pressure wash them and wipe dry maybe some wd 40 on the bearings.

The center I'll use as is OR rebuild once the gunk is off. I was thinking of pressure washing the center then spraying it liberally with WD 40 or the like then bagging and store it in a sealed 5 gallon bucket it till I'm ready to use it. (6 months to a year.)

Thoughts

pros --- cons

David - Done. They are yours no charge.

That's what mopar enthusiast do... we help out each other, sometimes at no charge.

Dana

David - Done. They are yours no charge.

That's what mopar enthusiast do... we help out each other, sometimes at no charge.

Dana

Hopefully the experts here on FABO can tell us if there is any way I can use it under the ‘65 Barracuda.

David

I can use it under the ‘65 Barracuda.
Everything about it is wrong for an a body. you have to remove and relocate the perchs, narrow it, straighten it and narrow the axles. I bought it for the center section.

Everything about it is wrong for an a body. you have to remove and relocate the perchs, narrow it, straighten it and narrow the axles. I bought it for the center section.

Other than that it is a perfect fit. :)

A BODY
'66-'72= 57 1/8"
E BODY
'70-'74= 61 5/8"

you would need 2 1/4 more backspace per side on your wheels to fit it.

Gearope
gearrope.gif

Gear and Cable Lubricant - Clings to Surface
Specialized lubricant clings to gears and cables. Withstands
extreme pressure and weather. Displaces water.

On storing the center sections, I always trim the bottom out of a 5 gal plastic bucket, slip the center section in a black garbage bag, turn the bucket upside down, and sit it on them.
I actually have the bucket sitting on car wheel dollies, so I can move then around easy if needed.
I have several extra center sections.

Here is a picture.
Those wheel dollies are also great for storing transmissions on, a 4-speed fits perfect on them, autos just cut a piece of plywood, drill clearance holes where the wheel nuts come thru the steel.
Alot easier on my old back.

tf8wPB.jpg

CorrosionX or LPS from a telephone repairman, buy him lunch and he'll probably give you a can. I would... Goes on like brown snot and stays like that.

Got everything cleaned up this morning. Used some silicon spray lube for a temporary solution on the center section. Filled it up and dumped it till no more water was visible in the runoff. Turns out the center section has 2.76 gears so I will be rebuilding it with new gears in the future.

I found this (modified stock photo) in the case and when I pulled one axle out.
upload_2018-8-19_17-53-42.png

when I saw them I assumed they were the thrust spacers. What I didn't realize is they should be on a common pin and peened in place

upload_2018-8-19_17-47-7.png

Looks like mine broke in half at some point.

I like fluid film to protect metal from rusting.

-
Back