Best way to clean calcium build up out of a radiator??

-

Reaction score
Like the title says,
What is the best way to clean out 40 years of white calcium build up out of a radiator? I figure now is the perfect time to do it as the radiator is out of the car, so I can lay it flat and fill it and let it soak. I bought a bottle of CLR thinking it would be perfect, only to read on the back of the bottle not to use it on coper or brass. Any one know a good trick to do it? I would take it to a radiator shop to have it boiled out bu there is no longer any in my area.

Thanks!

Not to run tap water to begin with. Run distilled water like what's supposed to be used. You'll never have calcium buildup if you never introduce calcium in the system.

That said, I have had GREAT luck draining the system, refilling it with water (you CAN use tap water for this) and adding a WHOLE bottle of CLR and driving it a few days. CLR:

http://www.uline.com/BL_7097/CLR-Ca...utm_term=clr&utm_campaign=Janitorial Supplies

You don't need a gallon. Just get whatever Wally World has. That will be enough.

I'm going to try that on the Ram. Runs cool enough, but heater core is partially plugged, and Peak flush didn't fix it completely (although helped). Yeah I'll probably need a heater core, but would rather spend the time working on the Duster.

I use automatic dishwasher soap but it has to be liquid, not crystals. Pour 12 oz.'s in with clean tap water and drive it around town for as long as you can.

Plain white vinegar is good but can take a while. It won't harm anything and only smells funny. I would try a radiator flush as well. 40 years is a long time you might have to get the radiator cleaned at a shop that can mechanically "rod" the radiator out.

Good luck.

Plain white vinegar is good but can take a while. It won't harm anything and only smells funny. I would try a radiator flush as well. 40 years is a long time you might have to get the radiator cleaned at a shop that can mechanically "rod" the radiator out.

Good luck.

X2 Since the radiator is out of the car and you can let it soak, the vinegar will do its job without harming the copper. You may have to drain and refill with vinegar once or twice depending on the amount of calcium carbonate build-up.

Thanks every one.

I always use distiled water my self. But can not change what some one else did for 40 years to this pore thing.

I bought the CLR the other day, but read on the bottle not to use on coper or brass. So I was a little scared to use it.

And I thought about using the vinegar, but then I read that it dissolves lead.

And as I stated above there is no radiator shops around hear any more. The last one closed down a year ago.

Thanks!

Get radiator cleaner from a tractor/farm supply store if you have any of those around. It is stronger than the commercial automotive variety. There was a thread about this years ago on slant six.org with lots of suggestions.

Hay thanks! I will try that. I tried the CLR but I diluted it a little more that 50 50. Do not think it did much

You ever put a chicken bone in a bowl of vinegar? After a day it turns to "rubber". I've never really had CLR work on anything I tried it on. Their warning about brass/copper is probably related to discoloration.

If the radiator is out, connect an old bike inner tube between the inlet and outlet to seal and then fill it with straight vinegar. Won't hurt anything but if there's calcium inside, it'll dissolve it. Let it sit for a day or two.

(Hydrogen Peroxide combined with vinegar purportedly dissolves lead).

Hay thanks! I will try that. I tried the CLR but I diluted it a little more that 50 50. Do not think it did much

How long did you use it? I wouldda left it in about a week.

About two days. I was a weeny and worried about it with the warning on the bottle. I know I am a chicken. LOL

I may have to try the vinegar, just i read on line that it can dissolve lead. May not be true. Who knows

I've been meaning to try the CLR stuff, but haven't yet. What I have used is a product called Tub and Sink Jelly. It's in maybe an 8 ounce bottle, and like the label says, is a jelly. I mix 2 bottles with a gallon of hot water, and with the inlet and outlet of the radiator blocked, (I stretch an inner tube over the necks, and put on a band clamp to seal), I pour it in, replace the cap, and tip the radiator back and forth, upside down, etc to circulate it. Within a minute or so you will hear a clinking noise, and that is the calcium chunks coming loose. I do it about 5 minutes, and rinse it out well. The few I've done look like a new penny inside. Distilled water only afterwards.

Toyota forum used pool acid, lay it on its back, pool acid in, wait a few and dump it in some dirt, not on your driveway. Dont know if it works or not, any chemists here? I like that tub and sink jelly but we probably cant get it out here in CA. (you know, because it WORKS!)

Any grocery in the drink - water section. I use to get it for toping the water off in Ni-cad batteries. Ans diluting antifreeze.

Where do you get distiller water?
I have never seen it at the auto parts stores...maybe I'm blind.

About two days. I was a weeny and worried about it with the warning on the bottle. I know I am a chicken. LOL

I may have to try the vinegar, just i read on line that it can dissolve lead. May not be true. Who knows

Naw, you just didn't know. You can leave it in a while when it's diluted that much. It won't hurt anything.

I use automatic dishwasher soap but it has to be liquid, not crystals. Pour 12 oz.'s in with clean tap water and drive it around town for as long as you can.
X2 get a bottle put it in and drive it for a week or two I have run it for a summer then take the top rad hose off (after you take the thermostat Out) stick a water hose in it and back flush tell clean.your entire cooling system will be as good as new..this was told to me by a rad shop back in the 60s...............Artie

you can also buy the premix antifreeze that you dont add water to...

works just as good as the other type plus distilled water

Toyota forum used pool acid, lay it on its back, pool acid in, wait a few and dump it in some dirt, not on your driveway. Dont know if it works or not, any chemists here? I like that tub and sink jelly but we probably cant get it out here in CA. (you know, because it WORKS!)

Well, I am a chemist. Pool acid is hydrochloric acid. It is a strong acid and reacts quickly to dissolve the calcium carbonate. It will also dissolve copper and could damage the radiator if it is left inside for too long. Disposal of hydrochloric acid is a problem. That is why I did not recommend its use in my previous reply.

Vinegar is acetic acid and is called a "weak" acid. It reacts more slowly than pool acid and will dissolve the calcium carbonate without aggressively attacking the copper. It will also rinse clean with less water than hydrochloric acid and it can be disposed of in the sewer system.

ya I'd like to be there to see that.:wack:good luck...........Artie

The next opportunity to run the car for an extended period will be the two hour trip to and from Carlisle on both July 6 & 7.
If I go with vinegar, do I use household vinegar and what ratio should I mix it at?

Thanks

-
Back