best way to fix rust around rear window

-

racyroy1

Reaction score
Hello all:
I have a 72 scamp with alot of rust around the rear window at the bottom corners and the flat part of the fender by the corners. My question to all of you is what is the best way to repair? Find a donor car and use its corners, or shape some new steel? I'm kinda new at the entire removal and replacement of steel. If the doner car is the way to go how much do i cut out and if the new steel is the way do I have a professional do it. Now that ya kinda know what i'm looking at, any and all info would be appreciated.

thanks

kevin.

Kevin, if areas are flat you can just cut out and use flat sheet metal to replace. If rusted areas are angled with patterns in them it would probably be best to cut that area out of a donor car. Cut off more than you need from donor car to be sure you have enough to replace your rusted area. You can always trim piece down once you have it. Sometimes if rust is near a factory seam, it may be better to go to the seam with replacement metal. You should take some pics and post them here. There are quite a few body people here that can better advise you if they can see whats needed. Mike

hey thanks Mike.
Here are the areas that are in question.

P1010001.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Those are going to hard spots to fabricate. Your best bet is to fins a donor car to cut the metal from. Look for a car that doesnt have a Vinyl top otherwise you may end up with more of the same.

I agree with Adam. Take your grinder and clean area around rust to be sure where it ends, and then cut a couple of inches larger from donor car and then taking your time, trim new piece to fit properly and attach it. Do you have a welder and welding skills?

once again thanks a lot
yes i do have a mig, hobart handler 120 with gas and in my own mind i'm the best welder in the world but most people, especially the blind, say otherwise. And here is the funny thing I have a donor car outside but it is in better shape than the one i'm working on. I bought it as a donor but?

kevin

It may be the way to go if its in better shape. Its all ways best to start with as little rust as possible.

Any pics of the "donor" car?
Do they still have the mopar swapmeet at the Grahm fairgrounds or is that the one that was moved out to Carnation?

yea that it is but it's a lot easier to fix less than more. The one thing that has me wanting to fix the one with most of the rust is that I have every piece of documentaion that was ever generated with the car, including the white paper fob that came on the original keys which i have and still start the car to this day. I have a little note pad from 1972 where the original owner started taking notes and even documented her first tank of gas at 35 cents a gallon. I have everything in between also.

Heres the pics of the donor car

Hmmmmm decisions decions.

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

and yes as of last year I believe they still have the swap meet, I live just east of the fairgrounds behind gundies

Kevin, you should thoroughly check bodies on both cars for rust and damage. Floors, lower doors, fenders, quarters, sub-frames, trunk, etc., anywhere and everywhere. Then compare drivetrains, interiors, options, etc., and then try to make a sensible decision as to which would be best to fix up. To tell you the truth, the donor car you have looks to be in pretty good shape, from looking at the pics. Shame to have to chop it up. Like you said, decisions, decisions. Mike

go cut the pieces out of a donor car.. it will be alot easier that way because all the bends are alrerady there and the shape you need.....

34553788.jpg

34961076.jpg

34961078.jpg

35082528.jpg

35082521.jpg

Thats the way to do it.

That Scamp looks pretty clean though. I would take clean sheet metal over paper work anytime.

Great pics abodyjoe. Exactly what he needs to see. Yea Adam, I would agree, unless car is a limited number, highly optioned rare model, I would definitely choose the best body over paperwork. JMO, MIke

ValiantMike said:
Yea Adam, I would agree, unless car is a limited number, highly optioned rare model, I would definitely choose the best body over paperwork. JMO, MIke

me three....

thanks mike, valiant joe, adamr and abodyjoe it's what i needed to push me over the edge. I also would've had to cut all the sheetmetal out of the trunk and move it over to the project car and it was bugging me since the doner was in such good shape. I think now I'll just move the interior over and whatever else needed and cut my losses. Once again thanks guys

kevin

Kevin, you can part out the car you don't fix up. Plenty of people are looking for all kinds of parts for these cars. Maybe place an free ad on here after you take what you want. It'll help pay for parts you'll need. Mike

-
Back