Beware pet owners

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
If you have a Cat or Dog that goes outside and you use flea deterrent on beware of Hartz or Sergent's flea drops. We usually buy the more expensive Frontline flea med for our cat but our idiot dope head neighbors ran out and left 3 half grown kittens behind to fend for themselves so we took them in. With money being tight I bought the cheap Hartz flea medicine from Wal-mart to try and save a buck and I used it on 2 of them. The first acted funny for a day then got ok so I didn't think anything about it then I used it on our old cat we've had for yrs. and he got real sick within hrs. Took him to the vet yesterday and he immediately noticed I had put flea med on him and asked what brand. I told him Hartz and he looked up the main ingredient used and it's the same as Sargent's. He said they just had another cat come in that morning that was having seizures because of it. They bathed them both and gave them injections and kept them overnight and they are both better now. When I went to pick up our cat today the vet said they had someone bring in a puppy doing the same thing. The vet reported it and we are filing a complaint about it. Hopefully something will happen that they pull this crap off the market. Even thought it doesn't affect all animals it's bad stuff. I also have a lovely $142 vet bill Hartz is getting. Don't know if it'll do any good but I'm going to try.

Thanks for the heads up and you are a saint for taking care of abandoned animals!!! Your former neighbor is a "tool"

Yea...... Thank's for the heads up, we have several cat's indoor and outdoors, and a watch dog. Don't worry were not contributing to the pet over population caused there all fixed! Thank's for the advice though about that flea medicine!

Thank you for the heads up on this:happy7:, I walked over to my dog shampoo and colors and seen I use front line on my two dogs :eek:ccasion:
I have some good info for anyone that has an outside dog, I leaned that they love laying in white sand box sand in the shade just put a small 2lb bag of 7 dust in and a few bags of sand in a baby plastic swimming pool it stay's cool and it seems to work real well for a friend of mine that has 3 boxers outside and are in it every time I drive up... repeat the 7 dust about 3 times a summer here in Arkansas. bless you fishy68 :eek:ccasion::happy7:

My wife was saying she was going to get some hartz flea medicine instead of frontline. Thanks to you and your great tip and advice we will be going the frontline route. A big thanks from us and Dallas!!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 241
Thanks for the heads up!! IJ did us a huge favor and sent us up some, here in Canada, you have to take them to the vets to get a prescription for the good stuff..$$ grab is all it is

I go to my vet and get a pill that is 15.50 that I give my dog with food and it keeps fleas off for 30 days and is safer than Frontline.

The name of the pill is Comfortis there are 2 different pills one that works and kills all fleas in 1 hour the 2nd works for 30 days.

Glad to help anyone I can. I just got a message back from a friend that they know someone who's dog died from it.

Thanks for the link Adam. I had no idea a well known name such a Hartz could be linked to something this horrible.

that happened to the bigger cat we had he only had one so i wached over him all night that night he got better that was 1 year ago hes happy and fat now

I bought some of those two for two kittens we rescued, same thing happened but they were not as fortunate as yours but I thought it might have been due to other problems but I remeber putting the Hartz drops on at night and the cats acting funny then finding them later under the couch a day later.

I bought some of those two for two kittens we rescued, same thing happened but they were not as fortunate as yours but I thought it might have been due to other problems but I remeber putting the Hartz drops on at night and the cats acting funny then finding them later under the couch a day later.

Man that sucks. I bet it was the drops. The link Adam posted has quite a few stories about it happening.

Thanks for the info. We just gave our cat some drops that weren't Frontline and she started throwing up and having urinary problems. We took her to the vets and they told us her kidneys were failing. They put her on a special diet and she's doing much better, not throwing up and her kidney problem seems to have gotten better also. She went from almost two cups of water (just after the flea treatment) to a half cup a day now.

GT340, glad to hear it worked out ok in the end. It's terrible our pets have to go through this because of this poison.

Your welcome Joe. I hope getting the word out does help. I'm also sending e-mails to everyone I know to let them know about it.

Here is the name of the 2 pills that my wife got for our dog.

One Pill is called Capstar works in 1 hour it is a white pill.

The other works for 30 Days is Called Comfortis

-
Back