BF Goodrich TA Radial white lettering

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
I have BF Goodrich TA Radial tires on the front of my Duster and while washing the car today I noticed that the lettering was turning yellowish . I tried washing them with scrub brush and car wash soap but no change . The tires on the rear are Micky Thompson Indy Profile and the white lettering still looks good and these tires are older than the TA Radials . Anyone have any suggestions on how to reverse this 'yellowing of the white raised lettering' ? Please advise and thanks .

Terry

Try some soft scrub or powder, works well and use a lot of water.

BFG T/A's have a bad reputation for the lettering browning. I think Hoosiers had the same issue (or maybe cracking). Are they new? Call BFG and tell them..Its weirtd as the whitewall part of the tire is actually white rubber under the blackwall,

brand new set I had went brown after 3 months, sold the car and then found out they were honoring warranty for a time, don't know if they still are. never bfg again

The compound in the rubber is coming out and discoloring, clean lettering with asitone , nail polish remover.
There are some good threads on here about this problem.

The compound in the rubber is coming out and discoloring, clean lettering with acetone , nail polish remover.
There are some good threads on here about this problem.
Thanks everyone who answered my question about the yellowing/browning of the white lettering on BF Goodrich TA Radials. I checked out some of the other threads on this and seems there IS an issue with these tires . I picked up a quart of acetone from Home Depot about $7 and a half bucks . THIS REALLY cleaned them up big time ! The white lettering looks new ! I used a cotton cloth soaked with acetone and rubbed vigorously took just seconds . Be sure to use gloves with this . This is an awesome site. Thanks .

Terry

I have BF Goodrich TA Radial tires on the front of my Duster and while washing the car today I noticed that the lettering was turning yellowish . I tried washing them with scrub brush and car wash soap but no change . The tires on the rear are Micky Thompson Indy Profile and the white lettering still looks good and these tires are older than the TA Radials . Anyone have any suggestions on how to reverse this 'yellowing of the white raised lettering' ? Please advise and thanks .

Terry
I have used everytime I wash the car and it does an excellant job cleaning the tire and white letters. Never have an issue with my BFGs turning brown.

Screenshot_20190516-204348_Chrome.jpg

I've found that what works best for me is some wet/dry sandpaper (400-600 grit) and a hose of running water. Sandpaper in one hand, hose in the other. Keep if flooded while sanding. I can do my tires once at the beginning of the season, and they stay nice and white all summer.

I have used everytime I wash the car and it does an excellant job cleaning the tire and white letters. Never have an issue with my BFGs turning brown.

View attachment 1715336157
You must not have the BFG's that turn brown then. Wesleys doesn't work at all on them. My fronts are perfect. My 255 60-15 rears are terrible.

Wet sand the tops of the letters with 220-240 paper on a sanding block, used wet. Far as I can tell nothing else really works.

Wet sand the tops of the letters with 220-240 paper on a sanding block, used wet. Far as I can tell nothing else really works.
Cleaning a surface. It's always chemical or mechanical. In this case mechanical wins. Still, why should a person have to do it? How cheaply can they make this stuff?

Cleaning a surface. It's always chemical or mechanical. In this case mechanical wins. Still, why should a person have to do it? How cheaply can they make this stuff?
Shouldn't have to. Not all BFG's do it. It was a defect they are aware of.

Mine didn't do it, but plenty on here had the problem. A big bad batch from a vendor?
I think it's more of a bad process. It seems to effect the larger sizes. I haven't read about complaints on newer produced tires. They must have figured out what caused it.

Mine went on the car in May, 2017. They were dingy brown after less than a year with basically no UV exposure.

There’s absolutely no performance argument for buying these tires. If they start looking like junk yard wrecker truck tires after 8 months, there’s literally no reason to buy these. Buy Cooper Cobras, M/T Sportsman ST whatever.

Thanks everyone who answered my question about the yellowing/browning of the white lettering on BF Goodrich TA Radials. I checked out some of the other threads on this and seems there IS an issue with these tires . I picked up a quart of acetone from Home Depot about $7 and a half bucks . THIS REALLY cleaned them up big time ! The white lettering looks new ! I used a cotton cloth soaked with acetone and rubbed vigorously took just seconds . Be sure to use gloves with this . This is an awesome site. Thanks .

Terry
I had yellowing/browning of the white lettering on BF Goodrich TA Radials. I tried several suggested cleaning products and methods but I wasn't successful until I tried the suggestion to use a pumice stone. It worked very well.

I solved the problem by turning them around and running the blackwalls out.

LOOKS BETTER ANYWAY LOL !!!

IMG_3362.JPG

Last edited:
I used the Wesleys Bleach White with a little wet/dry sandpaper and water. They came right back

-
Back