BFG raised white letter

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me. I purchased a set of BFG Radial T/A's from Jeg's and the raised white letters are anything but white. They are a light brown color and I can't get them white. I have tried just about everything including a SOS pad with no luck. Any other tricks out there.

I run black walls but to help you out I have seen white tire markers in the speed shop.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me. I purchased a set of BFG Radial T/A's from Jeg's and the raised white letters are anything but white. They are a light brown color and I can't get them white. I have tried just about everything including a SOS pad with no luck. Any other tricks out there.

Seems like a common theme with the BFG's lately, as there have been discussions about that here.
BF Goodrich Tire
White letter problem with bf goodrich tires

I called BFG ( Michelin ) I have to take the tires to a authorized BFG deal to have the tread depth checked and they will call BFG with the issue. These tires haven't even been mounted yet. They have a manufacturing date of 53/17 both tires. Will see what happens

Cooper has/had a batch with the same issue

Yep I have yellow/white letters too. They came that way but I have 14" rubber and it's hard to find anymore. I just live with it but it does kinda piss me off. I think they told me Coker tire made the 14" tires for them and I would have to contact them, if I remember correctly.

I read where one guy used brake cleaner so I had to try it. To my surprise the lettering is almost pure white but they do have a little yellow tint to them. The guy also said acetone works very well also but I didn't have any but going to stop and get some tomorrow.

I read where one guy used brake cleaner so I had to try it. To my surprise the lettering is almost pure white but they do have a little yellow tint to them. The guy also said acetone works very well also but I didn't have any but going to stop and get some tomorrow.

I have used that letter paint before in stick form and it worked really well, but you have to go over it again on a regular basis to keep them bright white.
I suspect yours will turn brownish again after awhile.

I always had good luck with Black Magic Bleche-Wite tire cleaner and a scrub brush. Works well on my whitewalls.

Obviously wont fix an underlying compound issue, but it cleans well.

There are a few threads here about the issue. It's a defect in the tire and BFG is aware of it. I contacted them about mine and they said to go to my local dealer for replacement. My fronts are perfect. My rears have issues.

You don't have to resort to harsh chemicals, which may damage the rubber and/or the wheel. When I had these tires, my solution was to wet-sand the tops of the letters only. Use 240 grit on a rubber sanding block and plenty of water. You remove a microscopic layer of discolored rubber, and they stay white for months. Armor-All and almost any other "preservative" tends to worsen the discoloration problem, so try to stay away from it.

You don't have to resort to harsh chemicals, which may damage the rubber and/or the wheel. When I had these tires, my solution was to wet-sand the tops of the letters only. Use 240 grit on a rubber sanding block and plenty of water. You remove a microscopic layer of discolored rubber, and they stay white for months. Armor-All and almost any other "preservative" tends to worsen the discoloration problem, so try to stay away from it.
The letters themselves are discoloring but the base of the letters is the worst. Sanding the tops won't fix the whole problem. The 60 series tires seem to be effected and not the 70's.

The letters themselves are discoloring but the base of the letters is the worst. Sanding the tops won't fix the whole problem. The 60 series tires seem to be effected and not the 70's.
Did you try my method? It was the only thing that worked for me. Stayed white for almost the whole Summer.

Did you try my method? It was the only thing that worked for me. Stayed white for almost the whole Summer.
I tried it. It cleaned the surface but the base of the letters were still brown.

A friend of mine had this issue, he tried every product the parts stores had..then someone told him to use regular gas on a rag..it worked. he said they aren't perfect, but a lot better.. he was very upset with an over $800.00 set of tires with dirty looking white letters.

I use acetone and a scotch bright pad and they come out pure white and last for weeks and it doesn't hurt the tire.

-
Back