big block a body swap

-

gene mac

Reaction score
has anyone pulled this off ? what radiator headers did you use an any issuse youve run across with them .did you cage the car if not have you started to twist it up yet i got a cage kit for it but not sure i wanna use it.send pics if ya can thanks my hair an hardon about the only thing i got left an my hairs gettin thinner an greyer tryin to build a monster

I have done a couple. They are fun! No cage necessary but frame connectors are recommended.

Start with visiting the bigblockdart tech pages. Most of the answers to your questions are there.

Tech Index

thanks dave i appreciate the input the frame is tied i have the 6 cyl. k member an torsion bars do they pose any handling issues on the street?
V__795A.jpg
WP_20170121_005.jpg
WP_20170121_005.jpg
V__795A.jpg
WP_20170121_005.jpg
WP_20170219_011.jpg

Depends on what you want to do with the car. Old scho drag racers prefferred the 6cyl bars as they allow the front suspension to unload faster on launch. Most people nowadays seem to put in bigger bars for handling. Remeber that they are fully adjustable, you can set the ride height wherever you want.....

As for the k frame, no difference as long as you have proper mounts. Looms like the big blocm is already in there!

There's quite a few on here.

Before suggesting headers, it would be better for you to tell us what trans you're planning to run.

Cage isn't necessary for the street, but if you're planning any track time, it's not a bad idea.

Slant 6 bars are good, but a little thicker, maybe 318 A/C bars or bigger, could improve handling.

I'd suggest checking out some members builds to get ideas.

Good luck with your build.

Frame supports mandatory. I also supported firewall to fender wells as well. Used 1" square tubing across fender wells to core support.
Then to firewall. Only cause I cracked windshield after some launches.
Mainly because of 2 1/8 fender well headers. I presume.

D.A.

Fenderwell headers are just plain cool....... IMO. My last bb dart had them and yes, remove the minimum amount of fenderwell possible and some extra chassis stiffening is good........ if you want fenderwells. If it is a mild build you can do the c body manifold thing.

Schumacher headers fit great and I have had my car down to 11.30s with them. Frameties are needed.

Radiator I used is from Be-Cool and it sits on the frame rails with daul electric fans and water pump

IMG_6373.jpg

has anyone pulled this off ? what radiator headers did you use an any issuse youve run across with them

easy swap these days...

conversion mounts readily available
multiple headers available these days
tons of radiators out there these days that will work..

back when i did mine tti weren't around yet so i went with the pro parts headers.. really nice header but partial fenderwell.. today depending on my build i'd schumacher or tti.

mounts i'd just go schumacher for whatever k-frame i have. yes transdapt sell for half the price but after using transdapt for my small block they are half th equality as schumacher too..

when i did my big block years ago i just used a recored small block 22" radiator.. they put a stagard core in it.. worked well.. now there are tons of aftermarket radiators out there that will work..

all in all its a bolt in swap.

the demon (purple engine bay) is the one with pro parts headers.. the other is a 64 valiant. custom mounts and headers..:)

64valiant025.jpg

Demon motor.jpg

If you're into performance exhaust manifolds aren't the answer.
But if it's a car that's worth saving and not destroying Fender Wells that's a different story.

TTI headers
Be cool radiator
Schumacher mounts

Do yourself a favor and use an offset master cylinder plate.

I used TTI headers and a Summit universal 27.5x19 rad for my 73 Dart swinger

22683A2A-5C39-47F5-8B32-AEF0F478FBE5.jpeg

0633A77B-4EBC-4603-9C02-01569A8AAAF6.png

293D663E-54EA-4E2E-BE28-5BCCFDF6F49E.png

-
Back