Big Block and Power Steering

-

carfreak6970

Reaction score
Hello,

I guess this could be in the Big Block Tech, or Steering, but I figured this was the best place for a big block issue... So here it is:

I have found that power steering can go into a big block A body. So I went ahead and started to get parts (I guess my first mistake). I got the steering gear, pump, pump brackets and pulley. I go to install the pump and notice the pump high pressure port is directly in front of the motor mount. Is there a pump that will work with this application? what have you guys done?

The pump is a Saginaw, engine is out of a 1970 C body and I will be running the TTI shorty headers. From what I found the water pump housing changed a bit in 70 which then affects the brackets you can use for the power steering pump. I wanted to go with a Saginaw pump because of an article in an old mopar magazine that showed an easy way to regulate the pressure in the pump to change the effort needed to turn the wheel.

Below are the best pictures I could grab. Currently it has C body exhaust manifolds on it, but will be removed when I get the headers. I installed them for break in

image40-1.jpg

image40-2.jpg

The high pressure port currently has a red hex cap installed. I would really like to not have to modify the motor mount

Yeah, if you've got the original big block k-member and mounts you need to stick with the parts that it would have come with. I think those pumps are available, but I haven't gone looking in a while.

Yea that is what I am finding out...

Still looking for the federal pump, pulley, cap and brackets

Thanks for this thread. My plan was HP manifolds and I wanted to retain power steering if possible. Are you using a V8 K-frame?

Yes I am using a V8 K-frame. I am using the 67 Big block K-frame. To my understanding the engine mounts on the K frame should be the same between all 67-69 big block K-frames.

I have some pumps. Probably should be rebuilt or resealed as they have been sitting for 20 years. A TRW pump may also fit.I see Murray confirmed that. I don’t think the Federal came out till 1970, I could be wrong though.what is different on ur w/p housing? 1972 would have the inlet on the pass side. And yes the p/s mount is narrower then. P/m me if ur interested Kim

I’m swapping in a 400. Aluminum pump housing pickup is on D.S. I think. Haven’t bought radiator yet. Still building engine. A work in progress. I’m sure even with aluminum engine parts ,heads,intake etc, I’m gonna want power steering.

Hey Guys,

Just for information, i converted my Valiant to a 383.
Used the stock slant 6 K-Member with conversion mounts. HP Manifolds from a B-Body like on BigBlockdart descriped.
I use the Stock slant six power steering pump Federal. Build my own Bracket for it so that the pump sits a littlebit higher and i have lots of space now.
The pump housing pickup is on the driverside.
So i have power steering and power brakes.
63p7ok8k.jpg

89ab8yke.jpg

t7cwocir.jpg

6p7z3hx5.jpg

I appreciate the information.

I am not to sure of the differences. but I know when you look at the vendors that reproduce the power steering pump bracket, they make it appear that the water pump housing changed sometime around 69. Or maybe that is the time that they switched from the TRW pump to the federal pump? Im not to sure... But I do know that I have a 1970 block and water pump housing in the car.

I appreciate the offer for pump cores. I got one and I am going to the post office to pick it up today.

Good to know. I’m in process of a 451 Cuda and I’m sure I’m gonna need/want ps. But my pump I guess isn’t the federal/straight fill pipe. It the other one that A shaped. Schumacher mounts? Thanks!

Last edited:
Classic Industries has pump and brackets to mount on a 383....installed in my 68 GTS...fir perfectly....let me know if you need PN#'s.

Part numbers would be great! No mine wasn’t power steering to begin with. I’m adding it. Thanks

I can't explain the different posts here but will share my experience. I worked at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership in 1968 and ordered my first new car there, a 383 FB. Ordered about Feb. and a build date of May. P/S was not available in a BB car so car was a manual steering. Years later I picked up another '68 cuda BB car with a build date of June, that had factory P/S. I have to assume that the factory found a way to put P/S in BB cars during this time.

I can't explain the different posts here but will share my experience. I worked at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership in 1968 and ordered my first new car there, a 383 FB. Ordered about Feb. and a build date of May. P/S was not available in a BB car so car was a manual steering. Years later I picked up another '68 cuda BB car with a build date of June, that had factory P/S. I have to assume that the factory found a way to put P/S in BB cars during this time.
I'm guessing the same thing...at some point it was made available..... mine sure looks factory :)

Just a small side note on BB cars. I appreciate DieWildes photos, but for those who want to know what was original- the blocks are different. The left motor mount is moved forward to clear steering. This means that the dipstick is re-located. The P/S fits so tight that the box has a 90* fitting on top allowing the hose to enter at a 90*.

Just a small side note on BB cars. I appreciate DieWildes photos, but for those who want to know what was original- the blocks are different. The left motor mount is moved forward to clear steering. This means that the dipstick is re-located. The P/S fits so tight that the box has a 90* fitting on top allowing the hose to enter at a 90*.
That makes sense....my engine rebuilder said the motor mounts were located in a different location than others he's worked on

I don't know much about the history of these blocks but cutting off the rear ears of the block and drilling and tapping two holes in the front of the block goes back , on some applications, to about 1964. Some blocks can be machined to match, other blocks don't have the bosses to drill and tap.

-
Back