Big Block assembly manual/book or reference.

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In my life I have assembled only 2 engines, A 225 slant and a chevy 235 straight. I am about to assemble a 512 stroker and since I like books for reference, I was hoping there is a reference for assembling big block mopars. I can get things like torque settings from the factory manual. Has anyone ever done a book that chronicles the assembly. Things like which gaskets get rtv, what type gasket sealer, copper spray. Plastigage use. Any other advice that may be common knowledge to more experienced people but may be missed by semi-rookies.

Pete's garage did a youtube series that I have watched, Any good or bad comments about this series?

All help appreciated.

Books are cheap compared to the cost of an engine so if you don't have all of the Mopar books then just go to Amazon and buy them. There are only a handful of Mopar big block books available so it won't cost a bunch. Read them all, they'll each have a few tips in them that are worth the price of the book.

In my life I have assembled only 2 engines, A 225 slant and a chevy 235 straight. I am about to assemble a 512 stroker and since I like books for reference, I was hoping there is a reference for assembling big block mopars. I can get things like torque settings from the factory manual. Has anyone ever done a book that chronicles the assembly. Things like which gaskets get rtv, what type gasket sealer, copper spray. Plastigage use. Any other advice that may be common knowledge to more experienced people but may be missed by semi-rookies.

Pete's garage did a youtube series that I have watched, Any good or bad comments about this series?

All help appreciated.

I don`t haqve it, but "Big block Chrysler engines " by Andy Finkbiner would be the one to get if ur a newby > Andy F. ON THIS SITE-----

I have Andy's and Chuck Senatore's books. I have read them both. They are very good for setting up the build with selection of parts and strategies. I also have several mopar manuals. After all the strategies have been worked out, which I have done, I was looking for a "recipe book" for assembly. The mopar manuals themselves are setup in sections for disassembly and assembly for various aspects of engine building and one would have to jump back and forth through sections. If that is all that is available, so be it.
Not to equate the complexity of engine building with baking a cake as it is clearly on a different level, but when you bake a cake you have to first decide what kind of cake and get all the ingredients for your masterpiece. Then you need the recipe as to how to put it all together in the correct proportions and order to bring it to fruition. I know that is a strange comparison but it is the best I could come up with. That recipe is what I was asking about. Thanks for all the help and input. Especially your book, Andy.
I was a precision machinist for 12 years as well so I am not a rookie around a shop. I have not undertaken this without confidence that I could do it well, but you can always learn from the experts here and in literature. I am constantly looking to increase my knowledge and wisdom in all endeavors. You can expect more questions before I finish this.
Much appreciation for all the wisdom found and shared here.

I have Andy's and Chuck Senatore's books. I have read them both. They are very good for setting up the build with selection of parts and strategies. I also have several mopar manuals. After all the strategies have been worked out, which I have done, I was looking for a "recipe book" for assembly. The mopar manuals themselves are setup in sections for disassembly and assembly for various aspects of engine building and one would have to jump back and forth through sections. If that is all that is available, so be it.
Not to equate the complexity of engine building with baking a cake as it is clearly on a different level, but when you bake a cake you have to first decide what kind of cake and get all the ingredients for your masterpiece. Then you need the recipe as to how to put it all together in the correct proportions and order to bring it to fruition. I know that is a strange comparison but it is the best I could come up with. That recipe is what I was asking about. Thanks for all the help and input. Especially your book, Andy.
I was a precision machinist for 12 years as well so I am not a rookie around a shop. I have not undertaken this without confidence that I could do it well, but you can always learn from the experts here and in literature. I am constantly looking to increase my knowledge and wisdom in all endeavors. You can expect more questions before I finish this.
Much appreciation for all the wisdom found and shared here.

You might rake a look at Big Block Mopar Engines by Don Taylor. Its geared toward a step by step factory stock rebuild but you can supplement this book with Andy F's book.

Andy and Don's books are very valuable , as well as FSM . Additionally , I recommend : clean , clean , clean and don't take ANYONE'S word about fit and tolerances . I had the machinist from hell and he messed up my rods and pistons . check and double check EVERYTHING .

Andy and Don's books are very valuable , as well as FSM . Additionally , I recommend : clean , clean , clean and don't take ANYONE'S word about fit and tolerances . I had the machinist from hell and he messed up my rods and pistons . check and double check EVERYTHING .
I will be very thorough, first step is to clean threads and make sure all passages are good. Then slowly and diligently assemble. No hurry at all. FSM=Factory service Manual? I have that also.

-
Back