Big block duster pain in the A$$

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
WOW what a challenge to get the motor and trans headers etc into a 71 duster. Schumaker conversion mounts have to be left loose. the starter has to lay against the block and headers, only had to take the trans back out once to learn that lesson. Motor dropped in the top trans in from the bottom. 4 people required to do this. TTI headers do fit, will be fun to see what rubbing touching etc. the big hammer will come out next.

WOW what a challenge to get the motor and trans headers etc into a 71 duster. Schumaker conversion mounts have to be left loose. the starter has to lay against the block and headers, only had to take the trans back out once to learn that lesson. Motor dropped in the top trans in from the bottom. 4 people required to do this. TTI headers do fit, will be fun to see what rubbing touching etc. the big hammer will come out next.

I had my 383 and 727 with Tti headers attached as one unit and dropped it all in from the top. Took 30 min with me and my dad. Had front of car up on jack stands and *** end up as high as possible on jack.

Mine is a low deck as well, not sure how people get a 440 in without killing someone. lol

i always pull the steering column. just makes life so much easier. takes 20 minutes and cuts the swear words in half.

The low deck is a great choice over the RB from what I can see, tall valve covers clear the heater motor, I have lots of room to get bell housing bolts in. We did the same swap in buddies Dart and it was a nightmare, mind you he has 2" headers as well, mine are 1-3/4.

My 440 in from the top with no problems. Trans from bottom after. Mini starter. Installing schumacher headders from the top after was a royal pain in the ***. I wrestled with them for what seemed like hours before getting them both in. Think if i had layed them in place as I lowered the motor in it wouldve worked.
I do wish Id have clearanced the /6 k frame a little more where the oil pump sits. It doesnt touch but im not sure i could slip a sheet of paper between them.

Set mine in myself in about an hour.... only a little grease needed. :burnout:

Attachments

• 440.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 891
I did the oil pump mod on my 6 K frame before hand. Even fit the K frame to the motor while it was on the engine stand to make sure it all fit before dropping it into the car.

About the only thing I like about fender well headers. The engine drops right in.

I had my 383 and 727 with Tti headers attached as one unit and dropped it all in from the top. Took 30 min with me and my dad. Had front of car up on jack stands and *** end up as high as possible on jack.

i always pull the steering column. just makes life so much easier. takes 20 minutes and cuts the swear words in half.

These ideas really help. I'm running a RB and I put the trans and motor in together and it does take 2 people but doesn't go in to bad. I also pull the rad out for the extra clearance for setting the motor in with trans bolted up. Steering column out helps the TTI headers go in as well and a mini starter. Also the valve cover to blower motor is just about touching so I usually leave the blower motor loose so it can float around.

With TTI headers, it's much easier if the steering column and torsion bars go in last.

As far as the upper rad hose goes I used to work part time at O'reilly's. I think I bent a coat hanger in the shape I needed and took it to work one night to find the right hose. I believe I had to cut it a bit shorter but otherwise if fit perfect. I can check my receipts later tonight to see if I still have it.

try it in a 64 dart if you think your is a pain in the ***.............fab fab fab...............lots of it

440/727 in from the top,spool mount k frame, shumacher headers.It took maybe a hour by myself.

Attachments

• dart3 001.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 851
My eventual plan for my Scamp is a 383/727 using factory HP manifolds and of course the Schumacher kit....

Last one I did from the top some years ago with the column and blower motor in place (B wedge). Next one in the garage now will go in from the bottom with the K frame. MUCH easier.

Wait until you have to replace spark plugs, I had to make a special tool to reach #4, and I have to remove the starter to remove #7. Only takes about an hour and a half to replace all 8. Getting the boots back on is still a mystery, I can't get enough leverage using just my finger tips to get them to click into place on the plugs.

-
Back