Big Block K Member

-

SMCARNUT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I installed a big block Direct Connection k member in my 71 Duster. My question is that the K member was used so I never got any instruction. Which pitman arm, idler arm, strut rods and drag link should be used? Any help would be appreciated.

20191124_124402.jpg

20191124_145514.jpg

You can use whatever you have/want but if it was me I'd use the '73 and newer stuff. If you have headers in the car the '73 and newer stuff works better since you can knock the center link down and out. The early stuff has the center link going up to come out which isn't going to happen with headers.

That is NOT a Direct Connection K-member. That is a stock small block '73-76 K-member. I can show how to turn that one into a DC K-member, however...

Yes, I agree. I should've pointed that out before. The K frame in the picture above is a SB K frame. It has not been modified for a big block. It can be modified for a big block by following Jim's video.

I must be losing my mind installed it and forgot to check the K member. We had one new in the 80's and the dead give away was the mounts were offset to the rear. I need to have my head examined. Guess I will really get good at changing the k member. lol.

mancini racing is suppose to have altered motor mounts that will allow the installation of a 440 onto a regular V8 K frame. i spoke to them in nov of 2019 and they talk be to get in touch with them when i needed the mounts. has anyone used mancini's mounts?

There is no way to build motor mounts that will put a big block on that k-member in the proper position without modifying the driver side saddle. The oil pump wants to occupy the same space.

You want to move the spool mounts back for a big block. Here is the K frame that I used in my Duster.
DSC_0901 (Large).JPG
DSC_4016 (Large).JPG

-
Back