Big bolt pattern brakes

-

Cudajac

Reaction score
Ok mopar maniacs, I have a 1968 barracuda formula S 383 that someone has changed the bolt pattern to 4 1/2 when I got the car there were no drums on rear. My problem is I have a pair of 10× 2 1/2 drums but they will not sit flush on axle flange because they hit the backing plates about a 1/2 in. Before sitting flush on the axle. I dont know of any 10×2 drums. Has anyone ever come across this? Thanks.

Sounds like they might be the small bolt backing plates- big pattern used different offsets on the drums and backing plates than the small bolt A body stuff; you can't mix and match them. Try using the backing plates that came with your drums and I bet you'll be golden.

Sounds like they might be the small bolt backing plates- big pattern used different offsets on the drums and backing plates than the small bolt A body stuff; you can't mix and match them. Try using the backing plates that came with your drums and I bet you'll be golden.
I don't have any, but I will try to get some. Thanks for the help.

If you use the 1-3/4”x -10” shoes and take the 1-3/4” x 10” drums and redrill the holes To 5x4.5” you will be okay. It’s how my Demon is. Verify the center hole diameter also. I’m not sure if there is a difference there. Or you just can get the 10”x 2-1.2” backing plates and run all of those.

What diameter is the axle drum register?

For 10" X 1-3/4" drums..........
upload_2020-9-14_19-7-41.png

Last edited:
If you use the 1-3/4”x -10” shoes and take the 1-3/4” x 10” drums and redrill the holes To 5x4.5” you will be okay. It’s how my Demon is. Verify the center hole diameter also. I’m not sure if there is a difference there. Or you just can get the 10”x 2-1.2” backing plates and run all of those.
Ok, great thank you sir

What diameter is the axle drum register?
I’m not at the car at the moment. MYbe another can reply to that. I can check in the morning. Car is still in the trailer here at the house with slicks. Lol!

You need big bolt pattern backing plates off of any 10' big bolt mopar. This is a common issue. You will also need the parking brake lever and strut. And the hold down pins and lining for big bolt.

I have tons of parts but I will not ship anymore for anyone. Cash and carry. Maybe another member will come for them and ship them to you. $50 for usable cleaned plates ,levers and struts. per side. I have small and big bolt front and rear

DSCN0648.JPG

DSCN0649.JPG

You need big bolt pattern backing plates off of any 10' big bolt mopar. This is a common issue. You will also need the parking brake lever and strut. And the hold down pins and lining for big bolt.

I have tons of parts but I will not ship anymore for anyone. Cash and carry. Maybe another member will come for them and ship them to you. $50 for usable cleaned plates ,levers and struts. per side. I have small and big bolt front and rear

View attachment 1715595590

View attachment 1715595591
Thanks for your help on this. I have a friend who might have some and will try that. I appreciate everyone weighing in on this.

Remember that the backing plates and strut rods and other stuff is same on the Dakotas and Durango’s with 10-1/2” x 2-1/2” brakes. There are plenty of avenues to get what you need. But you will need the e brake short cables from a 10” brake abody. You can use a 9” brake cable on the 10” backing plates but they are like 1/2” shorter and when I’ve used them they have given me sticking problems. Not sure if it was my issues (I did not install properly) Good luck and keep us posted.

Remember that the backing plates and strut rods and other stuff is same on the Dakotas and Durango’s with 10-1/2” x 2-1/2” brakes. There are plenty of avenues to get what you need. But you will need the e brake short cables from a 10” brake abody. You can use a 9” brake cable on the 10” backing plates but they are like 1/2” shorter and when I’ve used them they have given me sticking problems. Not sure if it was my issues (I did not install properly) Good luck and keep us posted.
Ok, I thank you and everyone else for the help, I will be trying to fix this the next few days and will let everyone know. Thanks again.

-
Back