Big Power in Small Packages: HRM article

-

stixx

Reaction score
Just found this in the latest build story on HRM's website:

"The difference in engine displacement for the 318cid, 340cid and 360cid engines is not in the bore or stroke but in the piston height."

Now that is new to me. So the longer stroke of the 360 crankshaft (3.58") has nothing to do with the displacement? No, it is ...

"The piston in the 360cid engine is the smallest and also the lightest of the three allowing for more displacement overall."

I think I understand what the author was meaning to say... but maybe someone should proof-read stuff before they publish it.

Last edited:

"The difference in engine displacement for the 318cid, 340cid and 360cid engines is not in the bore or stroke but in the piston height."

Now that is new to me. So the longer stroke of the 360 crankshaft (3.58") has nothing to do with the displacement? No, it is ...

"The piston in the 360cid engine is the smallest and also the lightest of the three allowing for more displacement overall."

I think I understand what the author was meaning to say... but maybe someone should proof-read stuff before they publish it.

All of the "editors" are just 20 or early 30 somethings with near zero "hotrodding" experience. All of HRM's focus is shifting to the digital/video/social media moneymaking phenomenom just like everyone else. I guess they figure nobody will fact check anymore or call them on their ****. What's really sad and ironic is the author's name is CAM BENTY--Lo ******* L. Sweet Jesus the future is bleak. J.Rob

I would like to see his calculation for CID! 65'

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

I guess Cam Benty is better than Valve Benty.

:rofl: Old acquaintance owned a Kawasaki shop. On the shelf right behind the register he had the valves from a KZ 1000. All bent to the same angle :eek:. Under the display "Have you checked your cam chain lately?" :rofl:

And some new guy will read the article, take it as gospel truth and spread that mistake around his group like VD through a high school football locker room.

"Because Mopar engineers could study the errors inherent with other earlier small block designs, they “corrected” some things with their small block and blended in some additional design benefits where possible."

Like carrying the crappy 59" lifter angle over because it's so efficient? Where do they find these people? Where are the editors and proofers?

This deserves my favorite all time gif because it's appropriate!

sQZiYLr.gif

pretty sad.... looks like it was even a Mopar Muscle article. Just one of the many reasons I wont pay for any of those mags anymore.

Did you guys notice all the diesel swaps and other junk like that in the latest "Hot Rod"? I wouldn't call those things "Hot Rods". So what, it has lots of torque and does big burnouts. I don't care. Ugly, rusty, smelly shitboxes. And they put them in a magazine about "Hot Rods". Your right, the future looks bleak, and hazy (from all the oil fumes).

You can take the rods and pistons and throw them in the ditch. All that dictates cubic inches is crank stroke and bore. Over and out.

Long time ago a friend thought painting his intake with aluminum paint would make it lighter.

Well it did make it lighter. Color wise that is.

But the color did not change the displacement only piston weight can do that.
Remember when calulating displacement, pi are round, cobbler are square. An ice cream has no bones.

Last edited:
Cam Benty has been in the automotive journalism biz for decades. He should know better .

Piston height as in how high it goes in the bore? So a 360 has less displacement than a 340. Cam......

Piston height as in how high it goes in the bore? So a 360 has less displacement than a 340. Cam......

You bring up a good point on the cam. He forgot to calculate the total displacement according to how much Cam lift it has and duration.

-
Back