Biggest cam everyone's run on a stock(ish) 318?

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just for ***** and giggles what's the biggest cam everyone has run on a stock or 90% stock 318? I bet my custom grind for my 318 magnum dirt track engine (stock except pistons flipped, air gap intake and a stromberg WWC 2 barrel carb) has everyone beat LOL. ***SPrings do not count towards the stock aspect of it as we'll allow an exception when applying the cam

Last edited:
well, what's 90% "stockish" ?? I had a 100% stock long block, and for those that don't know, that would be 100% factory stock heads (including springs) also. I used a MP .474/280 duration cam.

well, what's 90% "stockish" ?? I had a 100% stock long block, and for those that don't know, that would be 100% factory stock heads (including springs) also. I used a MP .474/280 duration cam.
deem 90% stock as you wish since alterations can vary from person to person (I.E. you could have headers and port work and I could have an intake and carb) if that makes sense?

Just for ***** and giggles what's the biggest cam everyone has run on a stock or 90% stock 318? I bet my custom grind for my 318 magnum dirt track engine (stock except pistons flipped, air gap intake and a stromberg WWC 2 barrel carb) has everyone beat LOL. ***SPrings do not count towards the stock aspect of it as we'll allow an exception when applying the cam
I can tell you for a fact, the purple shaft 508 on stock block/heads don't work. EDIT: In a street car.

Last edited:
Guarantee some stock eliminator guys have run durations that would make you cringe. :)
Oh I don't doubt that, I have an old Super Stock Industries cheater cam .453 lift with 302 duration

another mines bigger than yours thread :drama::poke:
No drama. Stated right away it's for fun. I was honestly surprised with the cam company being able to make this big of a cam worm on this mediocre of a budget engine.

Well, it's not tricky. One can put a 260 duration @ 050 and .640 lift "in" the stockish 318. I mean, the cam will slide in just like it would a 426 oh yeah !!!

:lol:

I know this doesn't qualify but I couldn't resist chiming in. I put together a '71 Valiant 4door for my youngest son's first car. We stuck a 273/727 combo out of a '67 Belvedere I had bought years before. Never had it really running before ( spit and sputtered due to fuel system issues) we put it in Valiant. Well, this sucker sounds like a 10 sec machine at idle. All I really know about cam is it's a hydraulic and I think I remember seeing purple on it ( had to pull a head on it once). I rebuilt/reworked about 5 or 6 different carb combos for this thing, Holly's, Carter's, and Rochester's, before an AFB off of a '62 413 finally got the thing to idle in drive good enough for a 16yr old to drive to school. I haven't looked at old DC books to see what they offered back in eighties, when I think they put it together. In the Valiant with like 2.64 gears, it was quite a dog, but kid drove it summer AND winter with no problems. Someday I will yank that sucker out and check for part numbers.

One I know personally was 320 adv 256 @ 50 .490 lift solid cam pretty much a stocker with a performer intake 650 carb and 1 3/4 pipes.

yeah 320 by itself is sortof ambiguous; you gotta include at what lift.
Like, IIRC, the old PAW 340 cams were around
302*SAE @.001, which was around
268* @.008 tappet rise, which was around
220@.050
I ran that Chrysler 340cam in an advertised 8/1 stocker, with a 4bbl, in a 71Monaco automatic with 2.94s and tall tires. Great passing power. But otherwise a real dog combo. I put the 318 cam back in and installed a 2800convertor instead, which for a family car, was way better.

I mean even at SAE, 320 is pretty big. There's not much left for the compression+power cycles; unless you run solidlifters but you didn't say that.

I can tell you for a fact, the purple shaft 508 on stock block/heads don't work. EDIT: In a street car.

I'd like to agree but I haven't tried it. I did however run it in a 360/4speed/3.55streeter, at 11.3Scr, and didn't like it much. It was only in the engine one summer. So I had to give you a like, lol.
That 292/292/108 ; I measured at around 249*@.050

Well, it's not tricky. One can put a 260 duration @ 050 and .640 lift "in" the stockish 318. I mean, the cam will slide in just like it would a 426 oh yeah !!!

:lol:
You're on the concept there. This cam is ground for dirt figure 8 racing that had a yield rule for one direction so occasionally being stopped. I needed a cam for good high rpm performance but a ton of lowend grunt to get the car moving again after full stopping. Custom grind is over .550 lift and duration and lobe separation are wild whacky for it being a roller cam

I ran a Comp XTQ281S-6; stock rotator, milled 360 heads.........

I had a friend I helped build one for back in the early 90s. 318, 302 heads, 305 Comp Magnum cam. Headers, Street Dominator intake and 650 Holley dp. Was in a 73 Dart with 3.55 gears and a 3K stall. Ran surprisingly well.

-
Back