Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-

muddacres

Reaction score
Well I been thinking about this for a long time. I had a 67 that come from Ca. that was a 8 on a range 1 - 10. My first car was a 70 swinger 340 4 speed. I seen 2 70s that was converted 67,8,9 by changing front clip and rear quarters. I got a 70 that I been working on for about 5 years that would take 3 or 4 days to get ready for paint. To make it short a new toy arrived last night. So in a couple hours my son Dustin and myself turned it into this.

Attachments

• New Image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 3,707
  • New Image1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,644
Every conversion I have ever seen has looked amazing, I too would do it if I had a convret to start with!

Here's a couple pic's for you!

Attachments

• P6030016.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,621
  • 70dartconv2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 3,473
  • 70dartconv1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,507
  • 70dartconv13.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,427
  • 70dartconv10.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,391
  • 70dartconv20.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,487
Man I have been wanting to do that to my conv. for a looooong time. It's gonna look great like the rest in the pics above.:blob:

seen a rootbeer color 70 Vert at Mopar Nats a few years back

Too bad they stopped making the convertibles after 69, the 70 makes a fine looking convertible

Great project I'm not certain I've ever actually seen an A-body convertible in person ,they seem to be a real rarity.making a 70 + version is an even more interesting car IMHO .I'll be watching this thread!

They should have continued the convertible line into at least 70 or 71. Those 70 conversions look great!

Well I did some digging and found some pictures of the past. The 70 was my first car it was real deal 340 4 speed car the 340 was long gone. Someone road it hard and put it away wet. LOL not knowing what it was worth it got junked. The 67 convetible I got from Ca. that was by far the best old car I ever had.
Jim

Attachments

• hpqscan0012.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,410
  • dart1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3,387
man i wish they made a 70 rag top. they are so sweet looking. used to see this one at e-town all the time then saw it at carlisle for sale..

carlisle09%20521.jpg

carlisle09%20522.jpg

carlisle09%20524.jpg

carlisle09%20525.jpg

Here is the picture of the car that is going topless. I started cutting away at the conv. today I removed the right rear quarter panel trying to save it Dustin and myself didn't do too bad. Let me tell you there is a lot of a spot weld to remove to take it all apart. I think that I can take it all out in 1 piece but when the reinstall starts it will all have to come apart. I was just wondering anybody had any ideas how to measure the windshield frame before I remove it so when I install it to the same angle?

Attachments

• 100_1021 (800x600).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3,396
  • 100_0942 (800x600).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,328
  • 100_1262 (600x800).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3,319
  • 100_1261 (800x600).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 3,346
Here is the picture of the car that is going topless. I started cutting away at the conv. today I removed the right rear quarter panel trying to save it Dustin and myself didn't do too bad. Let me tell you there is a lot of a spot weld to remove to take it all apart. I think that I can take it all out in 1 piece but when the reinstall starts it will all have to come apart. I was just wondering anybody had any ideas how to measure the windshield frame before I remove it so when I install it to the same angle?

I did a 66 dart and had to replace the total front cowl section.
I measured these places to get the correct angles
View attachment Angles to do.JPG
and made an alignment jig to hold it there while I worked on the car
the middle and top line (5 inches from middle line is critical and all the cars (sedan, hard top convertible ) that I've measured had it in the same location my 66,65 and a 64 were all the same also a 67 & 68 measure the same(different than the 64,5,6 though. the bottom line was just to make sure I didn't flex the door opening

I'm sure that I will be asking a lot of questions on this trend. When we cut the quarter off today I seen inside the rocker panel is where it gets all it support from. Do you guys think where i connected my frame rails, will there be enough support?
Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• 100_0942 (800x600).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,529
What a cool project. Dodge should have made one it looks like it would have been a big hit. Good luck with your project and keep us posted with the progress.:cheers:

I'm sure that I will be asking a lot of questions on this trend. When we cut the quarter off today I seen inside the rocker panel is where it gets all it support from. Do you guys think where i connected my frame rails, will there be enough support?
Thanks
Jim
It should aslo have torque boxes front and rear along with the beefed up section in the rocker. If i couldn't duplicate it, I'd take the rocker reinforcement out of donor car and use (matching welding spots)in the newer body along with the boxes and connecting your frame rails.
I'd see if cutting the outer rocker end sections off (bout a foot to let you weld in the supporting metal) or undoing all the lower welds and snaking them up from the bottom(lot's more work) by bending them up and sliding it in on your replacement body

A couple of people on here have done their frame rails on original convertibles and said the car stiffened up really good.
so just frame connectors might work Buuuttt. there's no top to keep it from bending.

so you are taking the rag top stuff and putting it on the hard top? wouldn't it be faster and easier to put the 70 stuff on the rag top?

I seen one that was converted at the Fling one year. Dang do 70's look sweet as verts. Good luck on the build.

Add me to the list of those whom are mystified as to why you're using the hardtop and converting it to drop top status .

The factory convertibles were based on the "21" body style (e.g. , 2 door sedan ; fixed 'B' pillar) , which has a different roof line and 'C' pillars than its hardtop (body style "23") relative .

I will try to explain as best as I can. I got a 70 that i got 5 or 6 years ago to make a clone 340 4 speed car. I have done so much work on my 70 and it come from Ga. so it is rust free.I was surfing one day and seen those 70s that was made into a convertible. It was love at first site. I know it is a lot more work than just using a 67,8 or 9. But if any of you guys are anything like me I'm always up for a Challenge. The 68 convertible that I just got wasn't up to my standards. Someone replaced the rear frame rails and spare tire pan the front inter fenders was all boned up. I guess you all will have to check on me to see if I'm up to snuff on this one. I have to admit this will put me to a test.I watched Tincup and 5.7Dart with there cars, if mine is 75% of what theirs is I will happy :cheers:
Jim

Well Dustin and myself and a saws all air chisel and spot weld cutter cut this car apart in less than a week, all that is left to remove is the windshield frame. There is a little rust in the wheelhouse cap.Now we will do the prep work to all of the pieses cleaning and painting. It went a lot faster than I thought it would.we put this car in our new garage it is so much better good lighting and heat. i'm injoying this working with my son Dustin , he is taking auto body in high school. Well it is almost time to get around for work.

Attachments

• 100_1289.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 3,121
  • 100_1287.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3,081
  • 100_1291.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 3,127
My 71 Swinger parts car is looking less and less so watching this :) Those in the pics are gorgeous.

Grant

-
Back