black interior paint?

-

swinger74

Reaction score
Hello, i am wondering what everyone is using for paint in their interiors? I will need to dye a dash pad but everything else needs to be painted. Dosent need to be 100 percent correct as this car is far from original. So i will be painting the doors (70 swinger), trim, dash, steering column, etc. can i use one type of paint or do i need to pick up multiple types?

Thanks
Ryan

I used Rust-oleum Textured Black #7220 for the dash and steering column on my 69 Dart. It matched pretty good. Got it at Home Depot

thanks, does the textured paint come in anything other than a spray can? also will that work on my dash pad/plastic/metal?

Ryan

thanks, does the textured paint come in anything other than a spray can? also will that work on my dash pad/plastic/metal?

Ryan

That textured paint looks real good like original for the metal dash and column parts.

SEM Landau Black is really good for vinyl dash, arm rest, etc. And hard vinyl kick panels, column cover, seat hinge covers, etc. Also good for A-body consoles. The SEM stuff is super durable. Really good. But it's not cheap. Usually you have to get it at auto paint supply places.

I made a mistake in paint choice. I used a high gloss appliance epoxy on the doors of my 67. Its too glossy. Every smudge or finger print shows. :(

That textured paint looks real good like original for the metal dash and column parts.

SEM Landau Black is really good for vinyl dash, arm rest, etc. And hard vinyl kick panels, column cover, seat hinge covers, etc. Also good for A-body consoles. The SEM stuff is super durable. Really good. But it's not cheap. Usually you have to get it at auto paint supply places.

This

thanks for all the replies, so Rustoleum for the metal and SEM for everything else.

autoxcuda, is correct.. I justed used the Sem Paint Black Landau on my 69 Roadrunner lower dash pad...Looks factory... I went to SEM site to find local seller..It was less than $20 and well worth it..Rick 70 RR.:happy3:

You can also try john deere blitz black. It is near identical to factory with a satin finish. It is uv resistant and yes it comes in rattle can,pint and gallon. Not expensive around 17 for pint 35 for gal. SEM as others have stated are good for the plastic and vinyl.

Rustoleum # 7220 textured black WOW!!!! All i can say is WOW

I have my dashboard frame out as part of the restoration. I stripped it, sandblasted it, as well as the glovebox door, door hinges, and ashtray door. I drilled the holes for the map light switch, and reverse light switch, repaired a couple small dents, then primered it all up with some dupont gray laquer primer.

I read the posts on this thread about the 7220. I figured why not. I would get a 2 cans, if its a bust, i will keep one can as black paint, and return the other. I started with the inside of the glovebox door, figured that was as good a place as any to test it out.

This stuff is great. And it dries quick. Prob to aid in the texturing process. You have to experiment, but light misting strokes seems to do the trick. This is a great product. Looks awesome. At $5.00 a can you cant beat it.

Matt

basically, the factory used a satin black on areas like t he dash, to reduce glare.

the PPG factory paint charts enables the pro paint store to mix it correctly and can even put it in a spray can. for most of us this is overkill unless doing a "correct" resto. they take black which is a gloss and add certain amounts of " flattener" to get the proper amount of lack of gloss. on any interior car, the chart will show several different shades used on certain areas of the interior. if you paint all the metal trim in thee the same "shade" of black, it just doesn't look right.
attention to detail will make the difference in the final outcome of your resto/rebuild.
that John Deere Blitz looks real good!

Rustoleum # 7220 textured black WOW!!!! All i can say is WOW

I have my dashboard frame out as part of the restoration. I stripped it, sandblasted it, as well as the glovebox door, door hinges, and ashtray door. I drilled the holes for the map light switch, and reverse light switch, repaired a couple small dents, then primered it all up with some dupont gray laquer primer.

I read the posts on this thread about the 7220. I figured why not. I would get a 2 cans, if its a bust, i will keep one can as black paint, and return the other. I started with the inside of the glovebox door, figured that was as good a place as any to test it out.

This stuff is great. And it dries quick. Prob to aid in the texturing process. You have to experiment, but light misting strokes seems to do the trick. This is a great product. Looks awesome. At $5.00 a can you cant beat it.

Matt

How is the 7220 paint looking 5 years later?

I dunno. I did my dash, and boxed it up. Then my 67 went on the back burner. Piecing together a 69 notch with my son now.

These are all painted with the SEM Trim Black

F31C2A94-89FF-4ACF-8511-07BA7F11E7C0.jpeg

9DBFF61B-0797-4C47-AC67-8A1143400845.jpeg

105E3BA6-0B88-4DA4-B04C-4018455A7E52.jpeg

CFC6107E-B157-4CF8-8DA6-7AADAB728BB0.jpeg

789B38DB-00DB-43AF-BC55-DDBE2F821EF1.jpeg

Yup. I was also going to recommend SEM products. I recently sprayed my new defrost vents with that and they came out really nice. Going to do my arm rests next.

Agreed. My fingers are crossed because I’m happy about how it turned out, but if it doesn’t hold up, I’ll respray with something else. It was suggested by my local Auto paint store guy though... I hope he was right! Lol.

Agreed. My fingers are crossed because I’m happy about how it turned out, but if it doesn’t hold up, I’ll respray with something else. It was suggested by my local Auto paint store guy though... I hope he was right! Lol.

I think you should do all of us a favor and do some scratch testing on that dash frame under where the dash pad would go. You know, for scientific purposes :D

-
Back