Black paint/dye for center console

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I have my center console for my '72 Demon all torn apart and want to re-paint it. It is looking a little dull, but not chalky or worn. What would be the best product to paint it with?

SEM makes some great paint for interiors. I've heard nothing but good about it. You can check online for a local retailer or order online thru: http://www.vinylprosem.com/

They're in PA and I've talked to them a few times about my own projects, very helpful people, reply to email super quick.

SEM has 2 colors of black, Landau and Satin, which would be best for a factory look?

This is the landau SEM on my door panels.

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

I used SEM Landau black on my interior too, console included.

Ok, thanks guys. I am going to go with the Landau Black, I will post pics. after its finished. Thanks again!

I got my SEM Landua Black today from Eastwood, so I decided to try it out on my conosle. Wish I would have taken some before pictures, because it was really dull. I am very pleased with the SEM paint and will be using it on more of my interior.

100_1531.jpg
100_1530.jpg

100_1532.jpg

Nice Job on the console R72Demon. I too am looking at redoing my console, how did you apply your paint; spray, brush roller?
I got my SEM Landua Black today from Eastwood, so I decided to try it out on my conosle. Wish I would have taken some before pictures, because it was really dull. I am very pleased with the SEM paint and will be using it on more of my interior.

100_1531.jpg
100_1530.jpg

100_1532.jpg

What kind of pre prep work did you have to do?

I have a lot of experience with this. Like all painting, preparation is KEY! My steps have been as follows: wash the parts to be sprayed with mild dish soap and warm water, air dry, wipe with a good grease and wax remover, wash again soap and water, air dry again, grease and wax remover again, wipe with tack cloth, SEM plastic/vinyl Prep Spray, SEM Adhesion Promoter, three coats of SEM Color Coat in the finish of your choice. Be sure to let the paint cure for at least 48 hours before reinstallation.

Once the parts are cleaned, DO NOT touch them. That's what the grease and wax remover/prep spray is doing: stripping the finish of anything that can make the paint lift or peel (your fingers, though they may feel clean, are covered in grease and oils that can ruin a paint/dye job). A pair of latex gloves is recommended. Also, use a clean, dry cloth towel to dry the parts. Paper towels, though convenient, leave behind lint and fibers that can stik in the paint and ruin the finish. This all sounds anal retentive, but it pays off in the finished product. Good luck! Feel free to PM with questions.

Chris

-
Back