Blast gun recommendations

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am finally getting able to get my blast cabinet back up and running. I want to make some upgrades to it as well as the repairs it needs. It is the cheap Summit cabinet. I did have the forethought enough to assemble it sealing it with RTV at every seam so leaks were never a problem.

What I cannot STAND is the cheap *** blasting gun. It's never siphoned too good. It goes through the white ceramic tips REAL fast. I know there has to be better guns out there with better (steel?) tips available that siphon a lot better. I am not opposed to spending some coin if something will actually WORK.

Yall got any ideas?

We have a higher end cabinet that came with steel tips originally. Ran out of those and bought ceramic tips. The ceramic tips last almost twice as long on this blaster. Just fyi, maybe not the case on yours though.

Hey Rob,
I just upgraded to the TP Tools kit that DuBob linked to. I have used the pick up tube, but I haven't swapped out the gun yet. Just the tube made a big difference. It doesn't chug along, it spays a steady stream now.
Don't know why you would go through ceramic tips so quickly. Maybe Leanna can shed some light on that.
C

Hey Rob. I have the same style as TP tools, since my cabinet is a Skat Blast. However, I was going through the ceramic tips also. Last time I bought Tips , they had carbide, so I got them. Lasting much longer now.

You can spend $90 if you want. I have a harbor freight cabinet and was having the same problem, never shot good. 1 minor internal modification solved all the problems. Now I can blast non stop, no clogging at all!

I don't think the problem is the white tips.
The issue you will see is the gun it is softer than the tips.
Tear the gun apart, you will see the sand path eroded the metal in the gun.
The metal eats away around it and will destroy an tip.
I have a white tip in my blast cabinet and it is still works, had to add some brazing rod to the metal on the gun to keep it working. Never changed the tip, but the media has been changed alot.

FYI just buy a cheap Tractor Supply hand held gun for $15 and throw it in the cabinet.

Well, don't keep us in suspense. What did you do to fix the HF setup? I have one, and would really like to know.

I got my cheap HP cabinet without a gun.

Bought the CH gun from Tractor supply.

I'm happy with it, but it did need some adjustment inside, as the tip can extend into the media feed area.

Also the rubber seal in the trigger spring turned gooey this past year.

Had to tear it apart and clean it real good.

Thanks Erik. Was great to talk to you tonight.

The gun that came with my Harbor Freight went belly up a short while after I purchased it. I grabbed a Cambell Hausfield from the local Home Depot and it has worked well for years. They even have ceramic tips on hand. I've found that those wear well. I even use the CH gun on my pressure assisted setup.

I don't think the problem is the white tips.
The issue you will see is the gun it is softer than the tips.
Tear the gun apart, you will see the sand path eroded the metal in the gun.
The metal eats away around it and will destroy an tip.
I have a white tip in my blast cabinet and it is still works, had to add some brazing rod to the metal on the gun to keep it working. Never changed the tip, but the media has been changed alot.

FYI just buy a cheap Tractor Supply hand held gun for $15 and throw it in the cabinet.

Took my gun apart tonight. I knew this ^^^^ was not the problem as I've had it apart many times before. The gun shows zero signs of wear, just the ceramic tip gives it up. Quick. I blasted an oil pan. Used my last new tip. Was new when I started but egg shell thin when I got done.

I am going to try this mod to the gun, but now it will be a bit before I can report back because I don't have any more tips. I am going to look for some carbide tips I guess. It's always something. lol

Definitely go with the TP tools gun and a carbide tip. You won't believe how long the carbide tips last. I have the TP tools 960 cabinet, and the gun works great.

Nothing special. It is just aluminum oxide.

Thanks yall. I am gonna try Erik's mod first because if that works it will save me some dough. If not, I will look at that one from TP.

Was it good for you?

BWHAHAHAHAHA

HAHA ! Was nice to speak with you as well, hopefully this will help you out like it did for me. night and day difference ! Pick up a few more of those ceramic tips and turn the air pressure down, I have yet to change a tip on mine ..... and of course it was good for me, if you do it just right she (google) will give you exactly what you need !!!! :toothy1:

I'm running somewhere between 85-115 PSI for my blasting.

Gotta find the sweet spot where material comes off but panels don't warp....or wear gun tips excessively.

That article is kind of what I was talking about...but on the CH gun (which looks very similar) you can adjust where that internal nozzle sits, and make it so the media stream is not fouled by the nozzle.

That is the place where the air meets the media.

I put the $19 Tractor Supply in my HF cabinet. Works decent with aluminum oxide @90psi and is cheap as dirt. Even if I had to replace it every year, still a cheap date.

Took my gun apart tonight. I knew this ^^^^ was not the problem as I've had it apart many times before. The gun shows zero signs of wear, just the ceramic tip gives it up. Quick. I blasted an oil pan. Used my last new tip. Was new when I started but egg shell thin when I got done.

I am going to try this mod to the gun, but now it will be a bit before I can report back because I don't have any more tips. I am going to look for some carbide tips I guess. It's always something. lol

Rusty,
I gave you the wrong info.
I just looked in my cabinet and the gun has a pink tip.
I have a extra pack if your local tractor supply does not have them.
Must have changed it while I put it together new.
I think a pack with 3 different sizes is like $9 from TS

The pink nozzles last a long time in my blast cabinet.

I was a skeptic, spending $100 for the TP unit. I installed it and tried it this evening. What a huge difference!! I backed my pressure back to 80psi and it worked perfect. No chugging, skipping, hesitating. It was a great upgrade. Thanks for the tip!

-
Back