Blew up my 440 with automatic trans and.....

-

HemiMark

Reaction score
the engine wont turn. Not with the key or with a 5 foot breaker, either direction. My thoughts are to tear the engine down while its still in the engine compartment IE, heads, oil pan, rods etc. and see if I can get it to turn. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Not really much point doing it in the engine bay. Sounds like it will be coming out anyway. It's just a pain leaning in and working under to remove all the components. I vote pull it out.

Ok..........

? Did I not ask this correctly? In order to get the engine out of car I need to turn the engine so I can unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter, then the trans from the engine. It was an easy question and I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.
I should have posted it over at Moparts for additional stupid replies.

Describe what happened and how you blew it up? were you making a pass, beating on the car etc? how did it let go.

Not really much point doing it in the engine bay. Sounds like it will be coming out anyway. It's just a pain leaning in and working under to remove all the components. I vote pull it out.

66ddart and gdrill, thanks. I was thinking What a pain in the *** to pull engine and trans together but it does makes sense that it would be less painful!

Describe what happened and how you blew it up? were you making a pass, beating on the car etc? how did it let go.

I was just driving normal. Noticed low oil pressure at idle and before I knew it it started to rap! Load. So i killed the engine and coasted to a red light, needed to get it out of the middle of the road, fires it up and 10 seconds lated it locked and stalled.

I haven't personally dealt with it. But if it won't turn may be easier to pull engine and trans together and separate trans from block, then slide it back off of converter. Sorry to hear this happened.

Maybe you could drop it out the bottom and not worry so much about scratching the bay up?

This is how I have put in and taken out most of my engines. Now I have to think about how old and rusted the brake lines are! Lord!

Chances are pretty good if you were using a 5 foot breaker bar you are not going to free it up in the car. pull it or drop it as suggested.

I would unbolt the tranny from the motor without unbolting flexplate.

I haven't personally dealt with it. But if it won't turn may be easier to pull engine and trans together and separate trans from block, then slide it back off of converter. Sorry to hear this happened.

a friend of mine thought the same way as you. It is an option for sure.

this

You can pull the top off the engine.

But I would recommend pulling the engine and trans together...

Then when it's on the engine hoist, drop the oil pan and main bearing caps. Loosen and remove any pistons and rods that you can access.

If you then can't free up the crank, then remove the rest of the pistons and rods. If they are stuck, then break them with a hammer so you just have the rods holding you back...

Try to remove the trans and crank together if you can't get it to spin, then unbolt the converter and crank when you drop it down....

You can pull the top off the engine.

But I would recommend pulling the engine and trans together...

Then when it's on the engine hoist, drop the oil pan and main bearing caps. Loosen and remove any pistons and rods that you can access.

If you then can't free up the crank, then remove the rest of the pistons and rods. If they are stuck, then break them with a hammer so you just have the rods holding you back...

Try to remove the trans and crank together if you can't get it to spin, then unbolt the converter and crank when you drop it down....

Lots of votes of pulling them together. I don't dispute this but I guess I'm so used to laying on my freaking back that the first thought was disassemble in the car. I have my marching orders. Thank you boys, I'll keep you posted.

Everyone has mentioned the advice I have already but man that sucks. Funny how that is a situation no one ever thinks about happening.

I'll be watching this one to see how it goes!

We just tore down a 318 that was frozen up from sitting outside too long.

That's the approach we were using, luckily we were able to break the pistons free with a hammer and piece of wood banging on top of them. We were able to break one piston free at a time. Go with the easy ones first, then start to go after the "harder" ones.

Our problem was pistons rusted to the walls, his is more of a bunch of junk all smashed together that's hanging up the crank.

He probably has rods wrapped around the crank with many pieces of piston and block mixed in also. In this case it's best to pull the easy pistons and rods, then sort through the shrapnel....

'It go "BOOM!!!"'

The bottom is better i know its alot of work but i dont see how you can pull the two apart easily, TC can come out of the trans but she a B!Tch. Good luck, been there done that...

The only time I don't remove the engine and tranny as a unit, is when I need to only replace a clutch or tranny. That's the way dad taught me.

-
Back