Blinkers and Hazzards

-

Markzilla88

Reaction score
I was looking for ideas on what could be causing my troubles.
My blinkers work fine, but my hazards when activated flash bright, but stay bright and wont flash. Ive tried different types of flasher units, LED and regular bulbs, however I cant seem to get them to work. Ive looked in the service manual but havent found the right answer and fix.
Again, just looking for ideas and things to try. Thanks!

Probably the combination of incandescent and led bulbs is not compatible with your hazard flasher. (different flasher than the one for your turn signals)

So I do have LED tail lights in there, however the front bulbs are incandescent. My blinkers suffered from hyper flash while using a traditional flasher unit. I swapped both flasher units (blinkers and hazards) to LED flasher units. The blinkers work as they should now, and no longer suffer from hyper flash, but again, the hazards just stay illuminated solid and wont flash.

First find out if the system works. Get standard bulbs in there and make sure everything works right. This will show the sockets, wiring, connections and TS switch all work. Then deal with LEDs Some LEDs are different and a PITA. Some require special flashers. There is so much China garbage out there there is no way to really advise you on this.

Someone needs to, or maybe they have, come up with a good electronic flasher that is independent of load

Also TELL US WHAT YOU ARE WORKING ON. Year make model

Early A's used what amounts to an add on hazard system, 67-69 used a switch external to the TS switch, and all column ignition cars had the hazard switch built into the TS switch, so yeh, it DOES matter

Okay Ill give that a shot swapping those bulbs back in there. It is a 1972 Dodge Demon.

I went LED tail lights with LED front park/turn signals on my 71. I used the digital flashers for both hazard and turn signals. What I found was the polarity of the wires at both flasher units Was incorrect. I de pinned the connectors and swapped the wires and everything worked perfect. I can’t say that’s your issue with the incandescent in front and LED in rear but it’s a shot.

Yeah so one of my flasher units was reverse polarity so I made short little jumpers to swap them properly and the blinkers worked great afterwards
The hazards still only flashed bright and stayed on

I used a neutral polarity turn signal flasher. Didn’t need to flip the wiring. Direct plug-in. My OEM hazard flasher still worked, but at a slower rate and I left it alone.

No flasher unit should be reversed polarity. This is a product of "chinese thinking." The thing is, the connector for the flasher is standardized..........they are either 2 or 3 terminal, and there is no reason every single one cannot be wired exactly the same.

On the other hand it does not take long to re-pin those connector shells

I just had to take apart and clean my flasher switch on my 67. Works great now, before was intermittent or constant. Whichever it wanted

-
Back