block identification concern

-

marian212

Reaction score
Hallo Everybody,

I found nice engine, but seller is not willing to take any more photo to identify it properly. Can anybody help me if this is 400 block based on photos below ?

Thanks in advance,
M.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

could be 361/383 hd truck eng a lot of them arould

I was going to say industrial engine then I saw the last picture, could be out of anything but not a car.

Yea its like a motorhome head the spark plugs go in like a small block

My guess on the big block, providing the tag in last pic matches it, is a 413. The t413 I believe is CI.

BBC76674-46DB-4EC9-A87D-61352C0FA9DD.png

That is a RAISED block industrial / heavy truck, with the high mount water pump. No idea CID but it for sure is not a 400 low deck

The heads / intake are completely different. There are ports on the fronts of the heads where the water pump mounts, and the exhaust manifold/ ports are different. On some of them, there is coolant runs in the intake/ heads where normally would be the heat crossover.

Look at the photo showing the rear of the engine. There's a coolant block-off plate on the rear of the heads, which if reversed side to side, would become the front of the heads.

Notice the oil filter/ pump!!!!

Run away from that one. Its a Chrysler Industrial. Probably a 413 from the 60's.

If you can buy it cheap like $100-150, get it for the crank and misc other parts. More than that, pass.
I couldn't guarantee that the crank would interchange with a passenger car crank.

It’s a 361 or 413. I tore apart a 413 like that. It had a good 6 bolt forged crank, the block had extra ribs along the outside. The intake was totally normal... had a holly vacuum secondary carb. The rockers and shafts were normal. The heads are small ports and valves with closed chambers, small block type plugs, normal valve covers. The exhaust valves have larger than 3/8 stems, I think they have sodium inside. I think the 413 had 400lbs of torque @ 2000 rpm

Block date is 1 27 1973.

It probable a 413 or 440 industrial.
If so those are thick cast blocks. So if you want to go 60 over on a 440 that's the block to do it with. Or if it's the 413 you can punch it out to the 426 wedge with no problem.
If you replace the heads with standard car heads you would have about 6 to 1 compression ratio but then you could always put a supercharger on it then.

Last edited:
That list that was posted of industrial Motors is not complete. For one it does not list the 361 Industrials. Or 383.
By the way back in the 50s or early 60s Chrysler made a raise block 383.

Looks like a late model (1976) industrial 413. I wouldn't mess with it even if it was free but that doesn't mean you couldn't make a good engine out of it. You would probably end up throwing everything but the block into the recycle box. Maybe keep some of the sheet metal and maybe keep the crank. So if you are going to buy it you shouldn't pay more than $150 or $200 since all you are buying is a used 413 block. A 440 block for $500 is a much better deal than a 413 block for $150 plus the whole day it will take you to tear that apart and haul the pieces to the recycle yard.

Anytime a seller is not willing to provide more information, it is a red flag.

That said the industrial 413s were used in generators, irrigation pumps, etc. well into the 1970s & there is nothing wrong with a well built 413 - if it is a 413.

I am aware RB means raised block. I meant they didn’t make a special block for trucks with a different deck height. Should have been more clear I guess

The 2 barrel tells me it’s a 361. I’ve never seen an RB two barrel intake

Yeah my 413 in my duster with a .480 cam a crappy 600 holley, 2,500 stall, 29 inch tire with 3.23s ran 13.30 first time down the track. Yeah a 440 probably would be slightly quicker but this thing revs quick.

View attachment 1715213048 thats what this looked like when it came out of a motorhome.
I have a 440 motor home engine from a 76 that looked like your engine only blue. I have a 413 with the industrial heads and water pump that came out of a 75 motor home. It is red.

Have you tried a bigger carb on your motor? It might wake it up some.

Last edited:
-
Back