Blower motor runs all the time

-

Rd2Scamp

Reaction score
When I plug in the blower motor under the dash it runs all the time. The fan switch does nothing. Speed doesn't change or turn off fan. Any ideals ??

I don't think there are any "tricks" in that circuit. Likely the switch busted up inside. Tried unplugging the switch?

You’ve indicated the blower switch doesn’t work. How about you tell us where the wires go to from the blower motor? Keep in mind none of us have seen your car so we have no clue what might be wrong other than confirming to you your switch isn’t working.

We also want your motor to work like new too! Time to do some troubleshooting and report back to us.

Electrical problems are my weakness. I dont know how to test the switch on the hvac controls other than unplugging it.

It would also be pretty darn helpful if we didn't have to guess what you are working on

Hemi powered Farmall, or 1945 Supermarine?

Welcome to learning something new. Where are the wires to the blower motor going?

Refer to a schematic. If like most blower circuits until ~2000, one wire goes to ground. The other wire is thru the switch which selects different resistors to put in series w/ the motor to control speed. The "high" position is "no resistor", which gives max current and usually so much that any connection resistance overheats and melts parts, like usually the plastic parts of the switch itself and the pneumo-push-button switch too, if your car has that. These resistors are usually in the climate air flow (to cool them, so they don't melt). You should see a plastic panel on the side of the climate box w/ electrical plug where they sit. I don't recall if removable in an old Dart. But, the resistors probably aren't the problem.

In my 1969 Dart, the blower switch was L, M, H. The "off" function was via the 5-button push switch, so that is probably your problem. Mine melted inside, which is common. When I installed a new switch (~$100 today), I added a relay so the "Hi" position turned on a relay to power the blower, taking that load off the switches so they wouldn't melt again. Same deal in my 1985 M-B, so I guess all cars were almost expected to melt stuff on "blower high", at some time after the factory warranty expired.

Fixed.... Part of the switch was broken. New switch and it works great.

Screenshot_2018-06-26-18-19-18-1.png

-
Back