Blueprint 408 carburetor

-
Eggman,
A lot of nonsense creeping into this thread. Use the 800 AVS2. Bouncing metering rods as described above, as a reason not use the AVS, only shows that the person making the statement doesn't know how to tune these carbs!!!
A 238 @ 050 cam in a 408 isn't going to be that great on idle vacuum for power brakes.
I was contemplating a cam swap to a 224/224-.470/.470 110 lsa grind.

I'm running the 800 cfm Edlebrock with a big cam in my 408 and we able to get it jetted and running great. Very easy to tune.

As far as the Dana 60, I bought a Strange60 from Cass (Dr. Diff) and it was dropped shipped from Strange. Cass is very helpful so I let him make a couple hundred bucks on it, but they can be ordered directly from Strange for the same price

I would put a Sniper on it and let it do its thing. I have one on my 499" and it can sit a couple of months and when I turn key it starts and does die. I was running a 850 Mighty Demon with no choke before and world of difference, Joe

Power brakes work fine with these blueprint engines
I wonder where the OP’s initial timing is at, and whether the carb jets, metering rods, piston springs, transfer slot exposure, and idle mixture screws have truly been optimized. Can’t get there if the carb was simply pulled from the box, slapped on and tuned via idle mixture and speed screws. No idea if it was but I bet there’s more idle vacuum in it with some serious tuning.

Hi everyone! Been away for some time now,but recently bought a 1968 Barracuda with a Blueprint Engines 408. The car runs well except for the emissions calibrated 625 carter AFB. I want to replace it with the Avs 2 but don’t know if I need the 650 or the 800. Car has a 7.25” rear with 2.76 gears and a 904 transmission.

View attachment 1716017883

View attachment 1716017884
For a street ride, I recommend a vacuum secondary carb. I removed the 750 Holley carb that came on my Blueprint 408 and tried several different carbs. The one I found to work the best was a Quickfuel 750 VS. Had to change the idle air bleeds to lean out the idle. Tried a double pumper but I much preferred the VS once it was tuned to my style of driving. Decent economy and power when I want it. I run a Strange 60 rear with 3.55 gears & 28" tires, built 727 with 3000 stall converter.

Thanks for the callout!!

We run this exact Holley 750. PLEASE DO NOT PUT AN EDELBROCK ON IT! These Cams have enough umph to bounce metering rods. please go 4160 or 4150 style. Link below to what we would have put on it.

HOLLEY 750 CFM CLASSIC CARBURETOR | ELECTRIC CHOKE VACUUM SECONDARIES | 4160
I have a Blueprint la 408. Blueprint website says 34 degree total timing at 4000 rpm. Looking around I see a consensus of 16-18 initial and 34 -36 all in at 3000. 408 has Comp 228-4 4150- 750 4 speed and 3.55 8 inch. Would all in at 3000 or 4000 be better option for primarily street car.

Cannot believe the ignorant comment in highlight above, post #36. Person might want to learn how an Edel carb works before making himself look stupid with stupid comments....
Look up James Clews posts. He has a 408-410 stroker with an Edel 800 AVS2 & has run some very impressive times.....

Cannot believe the ignorant comment in highlight above, post #36. Person might want to learn how an Edel carb works before making himself look stupid with stupid comments....
Look up James Clews posts. He has a 408-410 stroker with an Edel 800 AVS2 & has run some very impressive times.....
I by no means claim to be an avs expert, and this gentleman can lean on experienced edelbrock users such as yourself if he decides to go that route.
For a facility with the capacity to manufacture 140 engines a day, all dyno tested, we need carbs to work out of the box for us, with minor adjustments, and holley has proven more successful for us. I would like the OP to be able to call us for tuning assistance if needed, and a carb we don't use in production because we have seen it bounce metering rods, limits our ability to help him. I'm not saying edelbrocks are unanimously bad, I do see how my wording was strong, just passing on my experience to the OP as what I feel is the best starting point. We are all here to help others, and are allowed to have a difference of opinions.

I have a Blueprint la 408. Blueprint website says 34 degree total timing at 4000 rpm. Looking around I see a consensus of 16-18 initial and 34 -36 all in at 3000. 408 has Comp 228-4 4150- 750 4 speed and 3.55 8 inch. Would all in at 3000 or 4000 be better option for primarily street car.
Hey buddy, I will shoot you a PM. Neat user name!

Making blanket statements about whether or not a metering rod style carburetor will bounce the rods at idle isn't accurate. Not every engine will do it. I've seen some that did it at around 240@ .050 and some that didn't with more.

Not knowing specifics like altitude weather conditions and such and you don't have a complete picture. I know how to tune a Carter style carburetor and have seen instances where there was no solution except to go to a metering block/Holley style carburetor.

Calling someone stupid who runs a multi million dollar business cranking out crate engines every day probably ain't the best response. Johnny is a well respected member here and also an avid drag racer whose car runs consistent 10s, so I'd say he knows a little about tuning. Stupid? I doubt it.

Blueprint needs to use carburetors that give the end user the easiest path to a good running engine. Not everyone who makes crate engine purchases can tune a carburetor to the Nth degree. In fact, that's WHY a lot of people go with a crate engine. They might not have the time and or experience to chase the tuning issues a metering rod style carburetor can sometimes give with camshafts that have a lot of .050" duration and tight lobe centers. .....and that is a FACT that some engines simply exhibit that phenomena at idle speeds. I've run out of spring and rod combinations chasing it before, swapped to a Holley style carburetor and bam it was gone on the first hit of the key. Sometimes, there's absolutely nothing you can do to stop it. I guess maybe if you live in a perfect bubble world like Bewy and AJ, everything you touch is perfect.

-
Back