Blueprint crate 408 long block- combos?

-

polarman

Reaction score
So, I pulled the trigger last week and ordered the Blueprint BPC4083CT after I discovered issues with the 340 block I was going to have built. The lack of a Mopar engine builder in my area and the warranty were deciding factors in the crate choice that was never my intention. I assume some folks here are likely running this engine, so I'd like some feedback on how you set yours up. I have the top parts of and Edelbrock Torker II intake from the 70's and an 750 cfm carter style Edelbrock #1407 and a "strip kit" for fine tuning. I have the old distributor that was converted to electronic back in the late 70's that I'm on the fence about reusing. I'd like to know what other people are running on the same part # engine, especially the mechanical fuel pump and distributor. My tight budget dictates that I will reuse what I can, but I'm not so stupid that I'm going to bolt on water and fuel pumps that could be 40+ years old. If anybody is running this engine, can you please reply with how you finished it off, what didn't work well, and any component that you think is a "must have".
BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler Style | Longblock | Aluminum Heads | Flat Tappet Cam

So, I pulled the trigger last week and ordered the Blueprint BPC4083CT after I discovered issues with the 340 block I was going to have built. The lack of a Mopar engine builder in my area and the warranty were deciding factors in the crate choice that was never my intention. I assume some folks here are likely running this engine, so I'd like some feedback on how you set yours up. I have the top parts of and Edelbrock Torker II intake from the 70's and an 750 cfm carter style Edelbrock #1407 and a "strip kit" for fine tuning. I have the old distributor that was converted to electronic back in the late 70's that I'm on the fence about reusing. I'd like to know what other people are running on the same part # engine, especially the mechanical fuel pump and distributor. My tight budget dictates that I will reuse what I can, but I'm not so stupid that I'm going to bolt on water and fuel pumps that could be 40+ years old. If anybody is running this engine, can you please reply with how you finished it off, what didn't work well, and any component that you think is a "must have".
BluePrint Engines 408CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block Chrysler Style | Longblock | Aluminum Heads | Flat Tappet Cam

No help here, but aren`t they coming out w/ a higher h.p. version ?? think it was 495 , ???

No help here, but aren`t they coming out w/ a higher h.p. version ?? think it was 495 , ???
Well, my car only weighs around 2700 lbs and the budget said that the 445HP would do just fine. I had just enough money left to order a new fuel tank, sending unit, harmonic balancer & flex plate. The money is gone now, so I got what I got. The engine was out of stock, so the're building one for me now. And that's cool because it gives me time to prep the engine bay and gather the parts that I need to bolt on before I drop it in.

The dressed version is the best bang for the buck. But since you got the "ct" , here is the distributor Iprefer.
.PRO SERIES READY TO RUN DISTRIBUTOR | MOPAR SB 273-360 | V8 ENGINE | BLACK CAP

Holley mechanical pumps work great.

I prefer tuff stuff water pumps.

I can shoot ya some links if ya want to PM me.
Thanks for the input. The installation instructions say a stock fuel pump will work, but I'm not sure if I'll get enough flow (@ 6 gph stock, @10 gph for the Holley or Eddy)if I take it to Watkins Glen to stretch it's legs. I was reading reviews on fuel pumps on Summit, and several people said the body of the Holley unit hit the block before the bolts were tightened, but no issues with the Eddy pump. I will definitely look into that distributor and water pump. Thanks for the input!

I followed the advice Johnny Mac gave on the distributor and it works great!

just a comment on water pumps in general
Speed-o-motive working with the prototypes from the genius at TMS propane started putting round plates behind the stamped fins when solid impellers were not available
lots of people do it now
much less cavation
more flow
less horsepower
can use a larger pulley and slow it down if you want to and still cool
there area also large bearing and small bearing pumps
larger shafts and smaller shafts
choose well

I bought the BP Dressed 408 and love it. It came with the R2R distributor @Johnny Mac recommended above and he also shipped me a Tuff Stuff water pump. I went with a Holley mechanical fuel pump that fit fine.

I am totally happy with all of this stuff and how my engine is running. I personally would take Johnny's recommendations without hesitation. He is the man.

I bought the BP Dressed 408 and love it. It came with the R2R distributor @Johnny Mac recommended above and he also shipped me a Tuff Stuff water pump. I went with a Holley mechanical fuel pump that fit fine.

I am totally happy with all of this stuff and how my engine is running. I personally would take Johnny's recommendations without hesitation. He is the man.

All cool ,know about the $$ running out. But no answer on the 495 h p version ?

I guess we will have to wait for @Johnny Mac to answer the higher up engine questions. IMO, it would just need a better breathing head. IDK if trick flow could supply the potential demand to Blue Print.

Everything else about the engine is right. The head being the only short coming in or for performance. (Or maybe a forged crank....)
Nothing new in the MoPar camp.

This an LA motor or Magnum? I thought they were done with the LA due to availability.

This doesn’t answer the original question, but it is at least related,
I asked Johnny for a forged crank short block the day I saw the Trick Flow heads SEMA video (seems like years ago). The demand needs to be there so that they can buy parts in enough quantity. They can sell enough cast versions that they can buy quantities that allow them to offer the prices they do.
Forged,- not so much. People needing forged want to go racing. People that go racing don’t want to buy a “cookie cutter “ engine because of the stigma. Remember how many poo poo’d the 1st few guys here that were looking at Blueprint, even for street offerings? Johnnys openness and helpful attitude went a long way to turn that stigma around, but enough to start offering increased performance options? Probably not, but one can hope.

Last edited:
With the crap that passes for gasoline these days, and how quickly it evaporates, I'd use an electric fuel pump just to reduce cranking time at start up. That being said, I have had no problems with Holley mechanical pumps on a 383 and a SBC.

I didn't get the long block.. But I did buy the short block and then put some chinesium heads on it, complete with chinesium air gap. Port matched everything and used Lunati Hyd Roller cam. So far so good, even had it apart to do some headwork and new oil pan, everything looked great and I'm not easy on my cars.

With the crap that passes for gasoline these days, and how quickly it evaporates, I'd use an electric fuel pump just to reduce cranking time at start up. That being said, I have had no problems with Holley mechanical pumps on a 383 and a SBC.
I'm glad you brought that up. BP recommends 91 octane fuel. Here in the crap state I live in, almost everyplace has 10% ethanol fuel. The gas station I go to has non ethanol 90 octane that I use in all my small engines and my classic Buick daily driver. I have to figure out if I'm going to go with the non ethanol 90 and add octane boost, or the premium fuel from the other stations that have ethanol but are 91 or 94 octane. I HATE ethanol, it's hell on small engines and carburetors.

I'm glad you brought that up. BP recommends 91 octane fuel. Here in the crap state I live in, almost everyplace has 10% ethanol fuel. The gas station I go to has non ethanol 90 octane that I use in all my small engines and my classic Buick daily driver. I have to figure out if I'm going to go with the non ethanol 90 and add octane boost, or the premium fuel from the other stations that have ethanol but are 91 or 94 octane. I HATE ethanol, it's hell on small engines and carburetors.
Don't worry about the 1pt. octane difference. IMO, though you hate it, use the 91/93 E-10 and dont worry about it. Do not use octane booster. It isnt worth the time or expense. However, keeping a few bottles handy for that "Bad Gas" day isn't a bad idea. Not just for every tank fill.

It wont be quite that high, but we do have a magnum launching soon. Its finished as far as R&D goes, just waiting on paperwork. I want to say itll be marketed at 465. I'm pushing for something higher also, but that's a from scratch build, so gonna need some time on that one.

The magnum is/will replace the LAs very shortly. The shortblock LA is gone, as we need all the cores to fill the LA long block orders we have. Mag long block is close...reminds me to bend some ears monday,!!

Last edited:
This doesn’t answer the original question, but it is at least related,
I asked Johnny for a forged crank short block the day I saw the Trick Flow heads SEMA video (seems like years ago). The demand needs to be there so that they can buy parts in enough quantity. They can sell enough cast versions that they can buy quantities that allow them to offer the prices they do.
Forged,- not so much. People needing forged want to go racing. People that go racing don’t want to buy a “cookie cutter “ engine because of the stigma. Remember how many poo poo’d the 1st few guys here that were looking at Blueprint, even for street offerings? Johnnys openness and helpful attitude went a long way to turn that stigma around, but enough to start offering increased performance options? Hopefully we start to find out.
You get it 100% buddy!

Don't worry about the 1pt. octane difference. IMO, though you hate it, use the 91/93 E-10 and dont worry about it. Do not use octane booster. It isnt worth the time or expense. However, keeping a few bottles handy for that "Bad Gas" day isn't a bad idea. Not just for every tank fill.

That ethanol aint good for old gas systems in the long haul --------

Johnny Mac’s recommendations for distributor and pump will work fine. I just would look into getting a 10 degree bushing for the mechanical advance for the distributor. It will idle better. The carb will be a touch small but will provide good throttle response. I’m pretty sure that the advertised compression ratio is for zero deck, which I would guess is not the case, the pistons are probably still in the hole a bit. No biggie, my dressed 408 is from 2008-09 and they are .010 in the hole. Is it a solid cam? I just went through mine 2 years ago. Bores round and straight, crank straight, all it took was dingle ball hone and bearings after being ABUSED to within an inch of its life! The heads are what they are, we ALWAYS need more head flow. I think you will be pretty happy.

We do Zero deck the blocks, regardless of Mag or LA. fyi.

We do Zero deck the blocks, regardless of Mag or LA. fyi.
Could be just rod/piston/crank throw stacked tolerances, but they were consistently .011 across all 8 in the hole. Mine is old 08-09.

-
Back